Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533499 times)

Offline misty

We're you present at every conversation between Amaral and Harrison?

Can you provide a cite that any conversation ever took place between them?

Offline Eleanor

You are all getting much leeway at the moment, although some of you don't seem to realise.

But, we will have no more accusations against Moderators, no matter their leanings.  Any further accusations will result in Warnings.  Probably from me, in case you wondered.

Offline Angelo222

Exploration of why he won his appeal is invited by the topic-title, as is expressions of surprise (that he won his appeal) as well as fleshing out the reasons for that surprise ...

I haven't read the full judgement but it appears to me that the three judges were of the view that Amaral did nothing wrong in espousing his thesis since it was based on the files.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

ferryman

Were you present at every conversation between Amaral and Harrison?

I've read the relevant extracts from Amaral's book and from Harrison's report.

That'll do ...

ferryman

I haven't read the full judgement but it appears to me that the three judges were of the view that Amaral did nothing wrong in espousing his thesis since it was based on the files.

In large (and significant) areas, Amaral's book is not based on the files. I've demonstrated a key example with my quotes above.

But it is far from the only example.

Offline Brietta

Exploration of why he won his appeal is invited by the topic-title, as is expressions of surprise (that he won his appeal) as well as fleshing out the reasons for that surprise ...

**Snip
We confidently wait for the evaluation reports from FSS. A few days after the samples are sent, we are informed that the DNA of the blood found in the boot of the McCanns' car shows a significant match - 50% - with Gerald's, which means that it is definitely the blood of one of his children.
The Truth of the lie: Chapter 18: Goncalo Amaral

I remain incredulous that misinformation such as the above was printed in the first instance. It demonstrates the total misunderstanding of forensics and lack of knowledge of the senior investigating officer in charge of a missing child case.

I am doubly incredulous that the Portuguese courts in the name of freedom of expression have accepted that such inaccuracies supersede Article Six of the European Human Rights Act.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:27:07 PM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

No one has seen the full judgement in English, but I doubt that there is much to discuss semantically.

Some of us are learning a huge amount about Portuguese Law, albeit in its infancy, but there is some obscure logic to it if you try to look at it from a different stance.

Offline Montclair

Some didn't even know it was a libel trial ... until the appeal against the judgement was upheld ... then they seemed to cotton on.

The trial was about damages not libel, even if all of the newspapers said it was a libel trial.

ferryman

The trial was about damages not libel, even if all of the newspapers said it was a libel trial.

Cite?

Offline Eleanor

This seems to be the problem.  I can see the difference, but most people can't.  Although it is a very fine line.

However, I am not three pleased about the decision of The Appeal Court because some damage was undoubtedly done.  Even if only to the  reputations of McCanns.

ferryman

**Snip
We confidently wait for the evaluation reports from FSS. A few days after the samples are sent, we are informed that the DNA of the blood found in the boot of the McCanns' car shows a significant match - 50% - with Gerald's, which means that it is definitely the blood of one of his children.
The Truth of the lie: Chapter 18: Goncalo Amaral

I remain incredulous that misinformation such as the above was printed in the first instance. It demonstrates the total misunderstanding of forensics and lack of knowledge of the senior investigating officer in charge of a missing child case.

I am doubly incredulous that the Portuguese courts in the name of freedom of expression have accepted that such inaccuracies supersede Article Six of the European Human Rights Act.

Yep.

And Amaral contradicted (and corrected!) Stuart Prior on interpretation of the forensic results (apparently).

We don't see Stuart Prior's report ...

Offline jassi

This seems to be the problem.  I can see the difference, but most people can't.  Although it is a very fine line.

However, I am not three pleased about the decision of The Appeal Court because some damage was undoubtedly done.  Even if only to the  reputations of McCanns.

Shame about that. Shall we ask them to reverse it for you?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

I'm among those who can't.

Could you explain?

Offline Eleanor

Cite?

I don't think we need a cite, Ferryman.  Much as I understand your feelings, and mine.  But I am not allowing emotion to govern me at the moment, certainly not in so far as Portuguese Law is concerned.

We just carry on supporting The McCanns, in so far as we are able.

Offline Eleanor

Shame about that. Shall we ask them to reverse it for you?

If you can't see a hand offered in mitigation then shame on you.