Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533565 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1125 on: April 22, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Would anyone care to express an opinion on why The McCanns won the judgement at the first trial?  The one that has just been overturned.

The judge found in favour on one point.
60% of the claim was kicked out first time around hence the judge awarded 60% of court costs against the McCanns.
The judge's contention was that Sr Amaral had profited from privileged information and that even when retired as a civil servant it was his duty to uphold the McCann's right to be considered innocent until proven guilty. As a result of this the amount he profited by was removed from him and given to the McCanns.
Somewhere floating about on here there is the translation of the full original judgement.
The present judgement seems to be based on Sr Amaral's right to freedom of speech overriding some arcane Portuguese civil service rule.
Don't forget there has already been an attempt to "do him" for breaching secrecy and fell on it's duff.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:25:09 AM by Alice Purjorick »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #1126 on: April 22, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
I haven't assumed anything...you now accept it may go to the supreme court...it is therefore not over

Have you actually read Portuguese sources in law, as regards civil cases and the Supreme Court ?

stephen25000

« Reply #1127 on: April 22, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
The judge found in favour on one point.
60% of the claim was kicked out first time around hence the judge awarded 60% of court costs against the McCanns.
The judge's contention was that Sr Amaral had profited from privileged information and that even when retired as a civil servant it was his duty to uphold the McCann's right to be considered innocent until proven guilty. As a result of this the amount he profited by was removed from him and given to the McCanns.
Somewhere floating about on here there is he translation of the full original judgement.
The present judgement seems to be based on Sr Amaral's right to freedom of speech overriding some arcane Portuguese cicil service rule.
Don't forget there has already been an attempt to "do him" for breaching secrecy and fell on it's duff.

Yet the information was already in the public domain.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1128 on: April 22, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »
Have you actually read Portuguese sources in law, as regards civil cases and the Supreme Court ?
Duarte says she intends to appeal
I would think she understands Portuguese law

SIL - modified to separate quote from reply.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:22:12 PM by ShiningInLuz »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1129 on: April 22, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Amaral seeking damages 'his good name has been called into question'    he was an 'arguido' at the time he was co-ordinator.    I think his 'good name' had already been called into question.

Anyway,    the same goes for him doesn't it,   it was no one else's fault but his own that he messed up the case and got thrown off it.

This true.
It is all reminiscent of the famous libel case between Peregrine Worsthorne and Andrew Neil. Good for a laugh for the spectators but an excruciating embarrassment for the protagonists.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #1130 on: April 22, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »

Well her success rate to date is hardly outstanding.

Have you looked up reference sources on this ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:31:26 AM by stephen25000 »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1131 on: April 22, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
Well her success rate to date is hardly outstanding.

Have you looked up reference sources on this ?

Duarte has said she will appeal...amarals assets are still frozen...

Offline jassi

« Reply #1132 on: April 22, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
I would hope she understands Portuguese Law, otherwise she is taking money under false pretences.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

« Reply #1133 on: April 22, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »
Duarte has said she will appeal...amarals assets are still frozen...

It doesn't mean any appeal will be allowed.

Just read up on civil cases and the Supreme Court in Portugal.

and don't worry, Amaral, sooner rather than later will have his assets released, whilst the mccanns legal bills will continue to escalate.

Perhaps at long last, they will have to downsize, or maybe kate mccann will have to return to work.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1134 on: April 22, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
Yet the information was already in the public domain.

Indeed and that seems to be the sticking point with some.
The issue is whether or not the information was in the public domain before Sr Amaral's book was published not how long it took to write the book and set up printing presses.
The key dates will be:
When was the archiving report issue into the public domain.
When was Sr Amaral's book on sale.
QED

Offline jassi

« Reply #1135 on: April 22, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »

and don't worry, Amaral, sooner rather than later will have his assets released, whilst the mccanns legal bills will continue to escalate.

Perhaps at long last, they will have to downsize, or maybe kate mccann will have to return to work.

Nah, they'd just refuse to pay it. Not like they have any assets in Portugal that can be seized.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1136 on: April 22, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »

you sound as though you are about to b low a gasket.....kate could write another best seller tomorrow

ferryman

« Reply #1137 on: April 22, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Indeed and that seems to be the sticking point with some.
The issue is whether or not the information was in the public domain before Sr Amaral's book was published not how long it took to write the book and set up printing presses.
The key dates will be:
When was the archiving report issue into the public domain.
When was Sr Amaral's book on sale.
QED

Not a sticking-point at all.

The book was published after the files were released.

Breach of judicial secrecy (in preparing the book for publication) occurred before publication (and release to the general public) of the book.

The judge at the court of first-instance understood that, and that's why she handed down the judgement she did.

The appeal-court judges ignored that point.

Let us hope the court of further appeal (the Supreme Court) address and remedy that anomaly.

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1138 on: April 22, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »
I am asking you the question, and I am not being rude.

What do you think SY believe happened ?

and I do not share your faith in the SY team.

I think that SY believe the same as the PJ did in September 2007.

stephen25000

« Reply #1139 on: April 22, 2016, 11:43:57 AM »
Not a sticking-point at all.

The book was published after the files were released.

Breach of judicial secrecy (in preparing the book for publication) occurred before publication (and release to the general public) of the book.

The judge at the court of first-instance understood that, and that's why she handed down the judgement she did.

The appeal-court judges ignored that point.

Let us hope the court of further appeal (the Supreme Court) address and remedy that anomaly.

Dear oh dear.

You never learn, do you.

Stop typing the mccann mantra, and get a grip on reality.