Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533520 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1245 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
Yes Eleanor.

It doesn't much searching for.

Never end a sentence with "For."

Offline ChloeR

« Reply #1246 on: April 22, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
Not in my World.
Would you pay up without question in the same situation?

They say the guy has hindered the search for their missing daughter. I disagree on that part but if thats what they think then why on earth would they hand over a considerable chunk of money, money that they have set aside apparently for the search for their missing daughter...pretty much TO the person they were trying to sue to begin with?

Nah, I'm nearly certain they will drag their heels. They may be MADE to pay up eventually but I cannot see them voluntarily doing so. Not in a million years. And I don't think they should be blamed for that, if it happens either.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1247 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »
Given your history......

You have failed miserably to show I have a history of being wrong...you even had to add IMO such a post this morning as you couldn't substantiate it

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1248 on: April 22, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
Would you pay up without question in the same situation?

They say the guy has hindered the search for their missing daughter. I disagree on that part but if thats what they think then why on earth would they hand over a considerable chunk of money, money that they have set aside apparently for the search for their missing daughter...pretty much TO the person they were trying to sue to begin with?

Nah, I'm nearly certain they will drag their heels. They may be MADE to pay up eventually but I cannot see them voluntarily doing so. Not in a million years. And I don't think they should be blamed for that, if it happens either.

Of course I would pay up.  But if you can't see why then I can't help you.

Offline ChloeR

« Reply #1249 on: April 22, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
Of course I would pay up.  But if you can't see why then I can't help you.
Fair enough. Good on you. It would leave too much of a bitter taste in my mouth to do so under the same circumstances. I can see why they may not want to do so, thats all.

ferryman

« Reply #1250 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
I'm bound to concede, I think I'd be in much the same camp as Chloe on this ...

Offline jassi

« Reply #1251 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Fair enough. Good on you. It would leave too much of a bitter taste in my mouth to do so under the same circumstances. I can see why they may not want to do so, thats all.

On the other hand, it's not money that they actually earned, so perhaps easy come, easy go.
 They can probably rely on their handful of avid supporters to put  hands into  pockets and purses to help come up with the readies.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline ChloeR

« Reply #1252 on: April 22, 2016, 04:27:57 PM »
Perhaps the McCanns could move assets into other people's names to avoid paying up which is what I understand amaral has done
What happened to his Jag
Perhaps Montclair can help
Perhaps thats what they already are doing, with shifting the fund money around and all.

I know nothing about this jag business. I thought Amarals assets (the amount he was being sued for anyway) were frozen already and as such couldn't be sold/transferred/whatever?

Edit. Seems the post I replied to has been deleted...

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1253 on: April 22, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
So far the McCanns are not being asked to pay anything to Sr Amaral. The judgement says Sr Amaral does not have to pay money to the McCanns and the McCanns have to pay a shedful of legal fees and court costs in Portugal.
That is a court order enforceable by the court. Whether the court can I don't know but if they can you can bet they will. The law does not like people taking the piss out of it in whatever country.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

ferryman

« Reply #1254 on: April 22, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
So far the McCanns are not being asked to pay anything to Sr Amaral. The judgement says Sr Amaral does not have to pay money to the McCanns and the McCanns have to pay a shedful of legal fees and court costs in Portugal.
That is a court order enforceable by the court. Whether the court can I don't know but if they can you can bet they will. The law does not like people taking the piss out of it in whatever country.

Portuguese courts allowed Amaral to get away with doing precisely that for an inordinate length of time leading up to the present position.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1255 on: April 22, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
I'm bound to concede, I think I'd be in much the same camp as Chloe on this ...

Shocked I am, Ferryman.  One might not agree with The Law, but The Law it is, nevertheless.  And The McCanns did invoke this.

I just don't understand why anyone would refuse to pay.  Presumably everyone expects Amaral to pay if he loses.
I know that he is hog tied, but that is hardly the point.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1256 on: April 22, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
On the other hand, it's not money that they actually earned, so perhaps easy come, easy go.
 They can probably rely on their handful of avid supporters to put  hands into  pockets and purses to help come up with the readies.

What?  Like Amaral's Supporters do you mean?

Offline jassi

« Reply #1257 on: April 22, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
Shocked I am, Ferryman.  One might not agree with The Law, but The Law it is, nevertheless.  And The McCanns did invoke this.

I just don't understand why anyone would refuse to pay.  Presumably everyone expects Amaral to pay if he loses.
I know that he is hog tied, but that is hardly the point.

I would have thought that was exactly the point. He has had his assets frozen so has no control over paying whatever the court decrees.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1258 on: April 22, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
Perhaps thats what they already are doing, with shifting the fund money around and all.

I know nothing about this jag business. I thought Amarals assets (the amount he was being sued for anyway) were frozen already and as such couldn't be sold/transferred/whatever?

Edit. Seems the post I replied to has been deleted...

Not by me.  I am all for a Free For All at the moment.  Although John probably won't agree.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1259 on: April 22, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »

Don't assume that The McCanns would.  That would be Libel.