Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533521 times)

Offline misty

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1365 on: April 23, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »
The judges stated in the acordão that the amount of compensation of € 500.000 was unjust considering the different financial situations of the parties involved.

The McCanns couldn't pay their mortgage.
Amaral had earned a million in a few months.
I can see the disparity.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1366 on: April 23, 2016, 12:05:53 AM »
I think it may be simpler than that.

One refers to British courts and one refers to Portuguese courts.

Robert Murat , Sergey Malinka and Michaela Walczuchs sued successfully and speedily in Britain for defamation ... I know that R Murat was awarded damages in Portugal ~ but only after having to go to appeal ~ from one media outlet.

Do you know how the other two did with the Portuguese courts?

I haven't a clue. Nor am I xenophobic enough to give a rats ass.
The UK was used as a libel tourist resort until 2013 when the laws changed.
Mr Armstrong sued the Sunday Times successfully in the UK for saying things about him that Greg LeMond had been yelling from the roof tops in the US without fear of action against him. Mr Armstrong of course had to return the money to the Sunday Times.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1367 on: April 23, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
I haven't a clue. Nor am I xenophobic enough to give a rats ass.
The UK was used as a libel tourist resort until 2013 when the laws changed.
Mr Armstrong sued the Sunday Times successfully in the UK for saying things about him that Greg LeMond had been yelling from the roof tops in the US without fear of action against him. Mr Armstrong of course had to return the money to the Sunday Times.

Is there a Godwin's law to describe the misuse of "xenophobia"?  If there isn't, there should be.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1368 on: April 23, 2016, 12:36:31 AM »
Is there a Godwin's law to describe the misuse of "xenophobia"?  If there isn't, there should be.

It's funny you should say that.
My perception of this site since I joined is that I could start a debate on the Euler-Bernoulii theory of beams under miscellaneous and in a few seconds it would be full of posts about what tossers Amaral, Grime and Eddie are etc.
Unfortunately usually whenever Portugal is mentioned by supporters it is not in a good light and the childish manner in which it is done grates. So I say xenophobic rather than break forum rules with what I really think, expressed as would be my wont under the circumstances in terms used by a pirates parrot..... ?{)(**

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mercury

« Reply #1369 on: April 23, 2016, 12:42:16 AM »
The McCanns couldn't pay their mortgage.
Amaral had earned a million in a few months.
I can see the disparity.

OMG

The mccanns took two months mortgage payments from the fund early in 2007 and you are equating that with the difficulties they put him in for years?. Unbelieveable!!

@)(++(*

In the end they would never be in financial difficulty as the fund was set up to help "them" financially as one of its aims, so they alwayss had access to as much as they needed if they needed it, multi millions as it became!

One of the most bizarre posts I have ever read in here
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:47:26 AM by mercury »

Offline misty

« Reply #1370 on: April 23, 2016, 01:02:51 AM »
OMG

The mccanns took two months mortgage payments from the fund early in 2007 and you are equating that with the difficulties they put him in for years?. Unbelieveable!!

@)(++(*

In the end they would never be in financial difficulty as the fund was set up to help "them" financially as one of its aims, so they alwayss had access to as much as they needed if they needed it, multi millions as it became!

One of the most bizarre posts I have ever read in here

I would ask you to consider who had the more ostentatious lifestyle at the time proceedings were issued before mocking my post.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1371 on: April 23, 2016, 01:08:00 AM »
Patricia said: "It is so hard to watch Kate and Gerry push themselves constantly. When Madeleine first went missing, family and friends had to step in to help them pay the mortgage.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/madeleine-mccanns-aunt-explains-why-she-has-joined-1079005#g7qLgGXqI8pEP28R.99
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline mercury

« Reply #1372 on: April 23, 2016, 01:11:17 AM »
I would ask you to consider who had the more ostentatious lifestyle at the time proceedings were issued before mocking my post.

My thnkng your post was ridiculous is not the same as mocking it,so please....
Ostentatious lfestyle has zilch imo to do what what you were saying...which is more or less amaral was rolling in money whilst the mccanns were almost destitute, well, that IS poppycock and especially as regards this court case, as the judges declared HIS fnancial situation was far far worst and they were not talking about 2007

Offline mercury

« Reply #1373 on: April 23, 2016, 01:16:30 AM »
Patricia said: "It is so hard to watch Kate and Gerry push themselves constantly. When Madeleine first went missing, family and friends had to step in to help them pay the mortgage.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/madeleine-mccanns-aunt-explains-why-she-has-joined-1079005#g7qLgGXqI8pEP28R.99

That article was ridiculous as well, her speaking about them havng to afford to run a  campaign and a household, err, they had over a million in a couple of  months of their fund launch, then they started sellng merchandise, plenty of money in fund to run a campaign, employ tom dick and harry PIs, pay 36k to set up a two bit website, etc. Although the context was people in financial hardship after a family member has gone mssng n a promtion for missing people charity, i think the mccanns were not a good example to flog the cause for

They are overwhelmed by trying to be breadwinners, investigators and parents. That's why I support the Missing Rights campaign. People need all the help they can get."

Madeleine was snatched from the Portuguese holiday resort of Praia da Luz in the Algarve on May 3, 2007, as Gerry and Kate dined nearby.

For the McCanns, there was a desperate need for funds to pay for legal advice and a worldwide search.

"Money is constantly tight but they have to keep going. They will never give up looking and that costs money. Families of the missing still need to pay bills while they search but there is no right to any financial help."

Unquote
Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/madeleine-mccanns-aunt-explains-why-she-has-joined-1079005#cL4D7pc5j8Mk7jaU.99
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:26:22 AM by mercury »

Offline misty

« Reply #1374 on: April 23, 2016, 01:25:13 AM »
My thnkng your post was ridiculous is not the same as mocking it,so please....
Ostentatious lfestyle has zilch imo to do what what you were saying...which is more or less amaral was rolling in money whilst the mccanns were almost destitute, well, that IS poppycock and especially as regards this court case, as the judges declared HIS fnancial situation was far far worst and they were not talking about 2007

He had a family home & a loan on a second property in millionaire development Cerro Azul, an ex-wife & child plus a new wife & child.  His income had obviously supported that lifestyle, hadn't it - and that was before he banked the McCann enterprise money. All on a policeman's salary.
 So please - put the original amount claimed & the subsequent award in perspective, in relation to what the man made on the back of his 5 months in charge of the Madeleine investigation.

Offline mercury

« Reply #1375 on: April 23, 2016, 01:31:30 AM »
He had a family home & a loan on a second property in millionaire development Cerro Azul, an ex-wife & child plus a new wife & child.  His income had obviously supported that lifestyle, hadn't it - and that was before he banked the McCann enterprise money. All on a policeman's salary.
 So please - put the original amount claimed & the subsequent award in perspective, in relation to what the man made on the back of his 5 months in charge of the Madeleine investigation.

The mccanns are not entitled to others wealth, real or imagined...what they did with it and what they didnt..after all its not about the money at all is it?

I suspect the preciding judges also know what is what vis a vis the defendant and the plaintiffs financial situations better than you

Offline misty

« Reply #1376 on: April 23, 2016, 02:23:07 AM »
The mccanns are not entitled to others wealth, real or imagined...what they did with it and what they didnt..after all its not about the money at all is it?

I suspect the preciding judges also know what is what vis a vis the defendant and the plaintiffs financial situations better than you

The presiding judge knew his financial state all too well, hence the freezing of assets. I think it's called living beyond your means.

ferryman

« Reply #1377 on: April 23, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
Amaral was sacked from the (shelved) investigation on 2nd October.

The Gaspar Statements surfaced (to the investigation Amaral was sacked from) on 24 October.

So if Amaral did not breach judicial secrecy (in writing his book) how did the Gaspar Statements surface in his book?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1378 on: April 23, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »
Amaral was sacked from the (shelved) investigation on 2nd October.

The Gaspar Statements surfaced (to the investigation Amaral was sacked from) on 24 October.

So if Amaral did not breach judicial secrecy (in writing his book) how did the Gaspar Statements surface in his book?

The statements were attached to a memo dated 24th October. They were made to Leicestershire Police on 16th May. The memo says;

As requested, appended are the statements of Arul and Katherina Gaspar.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATERINA-PAYNE-INCIDENT.htm

The PJ knew about them before 24th October or they wouldn't have been able to ask for them.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

ferryman

« Reply #1379 on: April 23, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
The statements were attached to a memo dated 24th October. They were made to Leicestershire Police on 16th May. The memo says;

As requested, appended are the statements of Arul and Katherina Gaspar.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATERINA-PAYNE-INCIDENT.htm

The PJ knew about them before 24th October or they wouldn't have been able to ask for them.

About them

But not about their content (until they were forwarded to the investigation).