Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533559 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1425 on: April 23, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
If Amaral wins this libel action Madeleine will be forgotten, the principal reason why it is essential the McCanns prevail.

Absolutely correct

Offline jassi

« Reply #1426 on: April 23, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »
If Amaral wins this libel action Madeleine will be forgotten, the principal reason why it is essential the McCanns prevail.

So you discount the efforts of SY  & Operation Grange ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1427 on: April 23, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
I would have expected any third party information to have already emerged - it has been  the best part of 9 years.

If the general public had anything to say, it has already been said, hence all the false sightings.

same argument could be used for confession...all total speculation

ferryman

« Reply #1428 on: April 23, 2016, 09:47:06 AM »
So you discount the efforts of SY  & Operation Grange ?

Not me.

But others will.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1429 on: April 23, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »
The judge who made the judgement Amaral appealed was incredibly amiss if she missed something as glaringly obvious (in Portuguese law) as that Amaral did not breach laws of secrecy (in writing his book) which (if he had, indeed, avoided that trap) would result in an effective annulment of the usual rules of libel.

In preparing the book for publication, Amaral assuredly breached judicial secrecy.

The Appeal Court rejected her argument.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #1430 on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
same argument could be used for confession...all total speculation

Of course. Isn't the bulk of everything posted on here speculation ?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

« Reply #1431 on: April 23, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
Not me.

But others will.

What do you think of the reports ferryman, that officers involved contributed to Amaral's fund ?

If true, what does that say about ABDUCTION ?

Offline jassi

« Reply #1432 on: April 23, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »
The Appeal Court rejected her argument.

Indeed it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Supreme Court.

Or maybe not -

stephen25000

« Reply #1433 on: April 23, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
Ignored/disregarded.

There was no basis in Portuguese law for them to reject it.

OR

if there was, then the McCanns will (presumably) not be granted leave to appeal.

That Amaral breached Portuguese secrecy (in writing his book) is beyond dispute.

NO, it isn't beyond dispute.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1434 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
Ignored/disregarded.

There was no basis in Portuguese law for them to reject it.

OR

if there was, then the McCanns will (presumably) not be granted leave to appeal.

That Amaral breached Portuguese secrecy (in writing his book) is beyond dispute.

That may be your opinion, but it is the decision of the Court that ultimately counts.

What any higher court might decide is purely a matter of conjecture.

Or maybe not -

Offline Carana

« Reply #1435 on: April 23, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Unless there is a confession,  she is not going to found - IMO.

What I disagree with, Jassi, is that by continually asserting his conclusions in the way he has done, and assuming some unknown party was involved, why on earth confess? Whoever it was has got away with it - and could still be free to commit other crimes.

Would a former spouse, associate, neighbour or whoever bother to contact the police about potential suspicions if they were convinced that M was definitely dead and the mccannswhatdunnit?

In view of the PJ leaks, unredacted files all over the Internet, and hounding by the media and "armchair sleuths", who would feel comfortable that a confidential tip would remain confidential? Crimestoppers guarantees anonymity, but how many people have heard of it, particularly as the system isn't universally known?

stephen25000

« Reply #1436 on: April 23, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
What I disagree with, Jassi, is that by continually asserting his conclusions in the way he has done, and assuming some unknown party was involved, why on earth confess? Whoever it was has got away with it - and could still be free to commit other crimes.

Would a former spouse, associate, neighbour or whoever bother to contact the police about potential suspicions if they were convinced that M was definitely dead and the mccannswhatdunnit?

In view of the PJ leaks, unredacted files all over the Internet, and hounding by the media and "armchair sleuths", who would feel comfortable that a confidential tip would remain confidential? Crimestoppers guarantees anonymity, but how many people have heard of it, particularly as the system isn't universally known?

It is called the internet Carana.

These days material is leaked on the internet only too easily.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1437 on: April 23, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »

I consider that Amaral's influence over the public view is inflated out of all proportion by those who don't like what he says.

I can't see a confession from the person responsible, unless a deathebed confession, but others close to that person might be subsequently wracked with guilt.

Or maybe not -

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1438 on: April 23, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
I would offer a word of caution to the McCanns given that the Portuguese judicial hierarchy appear to be on the side of free speech and at war with any attempt to stiffle it.   Isabel Duarte will go home with her fee regardless of the coutcomes, win or lose.  The only thing she might lose in taking this farcical legal action any further is a tad of credibility but the McCanns are facing ruin. 

Let's not underestimate the damage that this latest ruling has now caused to the parents and the potential damage which a failed application to the Supreme Court could do to them.  I fear they could be being badly advised as happened previously and we all know how that ended.

I have always said that they should settle this with Amaral out of court and I still hold to that.

Why would Gonçalo Amaral ever want to settle this case out of court? That would have been the equivalent of giving in to their demands. It was good that he held out, something that the McCanns never expected, and a lot of information was able to be made public because the open hearings.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1439 on: April 23, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
What I disagree with, Jassi, is that by continually asserting his conclusions in the way he has done, and assuming some unknown party was involved, why on earth comarnfess? Whoever it was has got away with it - and could still be free to commit other crimes.

I think most people (except the McCanns and their supporters) understand that Amaral offered his opinion of what happened, just as the McCanns and people such as Mark Williams-Thomas offered theirs.

Would a former spouse, associate, neighbour or whoever bother to contact the police about potential suspicions?  I think they would if they thought it would lead to the case progressing. The information could support any of the theories which are on the table or help to disprove one of them.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0