Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533527 times)

Offline jassi

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1455 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
The case does seem to be about free speech - that of Amaral.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

« Reply #1456 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
A less confrontational and dictatorial  approach way well have produced better results - IMO

Their whole PR campaign was aimed at suppressing all other views and threatening anyone who openly disagreed with them.

Quite right jassi.

Their intention has been to silence opinion.

They forgot about the internet.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1457 on: April 23, 2016, 11:01:26 AM »
Quite right jassi.

their intention has been to stop libel..........no one forgets about the net

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1458 on: April 23, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
In your opinion, was Amaral's opinion incompetent?

Or did he lie?

All the theories are possible. All of them can be questioned, so his theory is no more incompetent than the theory put forward the McCanns or of Mark Williams-Thomas. Actually it's more competent than that of MWT because he made no attempt to explain the open window and shutters.

Lied about what exactly?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1459 on: April 23, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »
Quite right jassi.

If they had ignored the book, it would have been history by now. IMO.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1460 on: April 23, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »
A less confrontational and dictatorial  approach way well have produced better results - IMO

Their whole PR campaign was aimed at suppressing all other views and threatening anyone who openly disagreed with them.

Agreed ! 8((()*/
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

stephen25000

« Reply #1461 on: April 23, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »
If they had ignored the book, it would have been history by now. IMO.

Precisely.

ferryman

« Reply #1462 on: April 23, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
All the theories are possible. All of them can be questioned, so his theory is no more incompetent than the theory put forward the McCanns or of Mark Williams-Thomas. Actually it's more competent than that of MWT because he made no attempt to explain the open window and shutters.

Lied about what exactly?

About what's in the files (and about what Amaral says are in the files).

Total misrepresentation of what Mark Harrison said (and did)

Claim to have corrected and contradicted Stuart Prior on interpretation of the forensic results.

Claim that Stuart Prior rang the FSS to berate them on the PJ's powers of arrest.

Claim that Eddie 'scented death' all over the place, when neither Harrison nor Grime said the same.

Claim that English police officers wore 'find Madeleine' ribbons.

That'll do.

Did he lie?

Or was he incompetent?

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1463 on: April 23, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
Precisely.

nobody likes  people  dictating     what they can   read etc like  mos t things    it makes   people  want to  read it  more  censorship  doesnt work because of that  if they had  been   more mature about this  they would have ignored   the  book if it upset them so  much imo

stephen25000

« Reply #1464 on: April 23, 2016, 11:16:12 AM »
About what's in the files (and about what Amaral says are in the files).

Total misrepresentation of what Mark Harrison said (and did)

Claim to have corrected and contradicted Stuart Prior on interpretation of the forensic results.

Claim that Stuart Prior rang the FSS to berate them on the PJ's powers of arrest.

Claim that Eddie 'scented death' all over the place, when neither Harrison nor Grime said the same.

Claim that English police officers wore 'find Madeleine' ribbons.

That'll do.

Did he lie?

Or was he incompetent?

Talk about obsession.

You have got to get to grips with reality.

The judgement was overturned, and trying to go to the Supreme Court won't change that.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1465 on: April 23, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Talk about obsession.

The judgement was overturned, and trying to go to the Supreme Court won't change that.

the mcanns dont  care less about ferryman stephen they only  care about themselves

stephen25000

« Reply #1466 on: April 23, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
the mcanns dont  care less about ferryman stephen they only  care about themselves

I know Carly.

ferryman

« Reply #1467 on: April 23, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
Talk about obsession.

Didn't quite catch your answer to my question.

Did Amaral lie?

Or was Amaral incompetent?

Offline Lace

« Reply #1468 on: April 23, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
Oh pretty, pretty please, explain why the mccanns repeatedly and recklessly endangered their children.

What has that got to do with Amaral writing a book based on what he thought had happened to Madeleine?   Are you saying that because the McCann's left their children alone that it is only fair and right that a man can accuse them of drugging their children,  staging an abduction,  hiding their child's body,   having all their friends lie for them,   transport their child's body in a car weeks later !!!     Please tell me what you would have done Stephen,  he who runs to the mods every time someone calls you a nasty name.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1469 on: April 23, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
I think most people (except the McCanns and their supporters) understand that Amaral offered his opinion of what happened, just as the McCanns and people such as Mark Williams-Thomas offered theirs.

Would a former spouse, associate, neighbour or whoever bother to contact the police about potential suspicions?  I think they would if they thought it would lead to the case progressing. The information could support any of the theories which are on the table or help to disprove one of them.

In my opinion there appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding in Portugal of the use of the media in a missing person case.

The three learned judges have missed the entire purpose of such media interviews ~ which in Britain are conducted under the auspices and control of the police ~ an assistance from which the McCanns did not benefit.

The learned judges seem to evidence a total failure of comprehension of the purpose of the McCann media appearances which I find extraordinary.

The reasoning behind the learned judges reaching the conclusion that the McCanns were therefore expressing an opinion and pushing their theory ... giving Mr Amaral the right to publish a book about his ... is I think an extraordinary conclusion to reach.
It shows imo a totally different set of attitudes and thought processes regarding what to do in the event a child goes missing alien to most Western democracies, and leads one to wonder how any foreign national can expect a fair hearing in a civil case such as this one.

quote ~ "By proceeding in this manner, they opened the way for anyone to equally express an opinion about the case, contradicting their thesis – without losing their right to exercise a legitimate, and constitutionally consecrated, right to an opinion and a freedom of expression of thought." ~ end quote
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....