Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533535 times)

Offline Angelo222

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1905 on: April 28, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Let's face it, this latest and probably final judgement in the damages trial will be painful to the McCanns in more ways than one.  They must be devastated by this ruling of the Appeal Court which opens up the way for what could be a very expensive countersuit against them.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #1906 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
Let's face it, this latest and probably final judgement in the damages trial will be painful to the McCanns in more ways than one.  They must be devastated by this ruling of the Appeal Court which opens up the way for what could be a very expensive countersuit against them.

Precisely.

In my and others view they had this coming.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1907 on: April 28, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »

It couldn't happen to nicer people - Having tried to destroy someone, they deserve everything they get - IMO 
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

« Reply #1908 on: April 28, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
It couldn't happen to nicer people - Having tried to destroy someone, they deserve everything they get - IMO

Precisely. 8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(

Offline Benice

« Reply #1909 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »

On what grounds can he sue them?

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Carana

« Reply #1910 on: April 28, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »

What exactly did they do to him to "destroy" him aside from suing him for his assertions that their missing child was dead and that they had committed crimes for which there is no proof?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1911 on: April 28, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »

I asked that question as well, Benice. But I don't think I got an answer.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1912 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
I think anyone would sue if they were being slandered with such serious accusations - assuming they are innocent. Anyone here would right? I certainly would for both the money and for my reputation.

stephen25000

« Reply #1913 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »
What exactly did they do to him to "destroy" him aside from suing him for his assertions that their missing child was dead and that they had committed crimes for which there is no proof?

Are you serious ?

He postulated a thesis, and at no time said the mccanns killed Madeleine.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1914 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
I think anyone would sue if they were being slandered with such serious accusations - assuming they are innocent. Anyone here would right? I certainly would for both the money and for my reputation.

Yet none of those reasons were put forward as a reason for suing.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1915 on: April 28, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »
I asked that question as well, Benice. But I don't think I got an answer.

He can't sue them for their opinion because they are entitled to that. 

And it was The Portuguese Court that froze his assets due to his previously dreadful propensity for non payment of his debts.

What else is there?

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1916 on: April 28, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
Are you serious ?

He postulated a thesis, and at no time said the mccanns killed Madeleine.

But at the very least he is insinuating and speculating that they are responsible for the demise of their daughter... So if they gave the children sleeping medication this is what killed Madeliene... Hence the McCanns were responsible although he does not claim her death was intentional...

Offline jassi

« Reply #1917 on: April 28, 2016, 10:04:12 AM »

Like Lord Archer, you mean  @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1918 on: April 28, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »

Very simply, material loss.  Amaral has lost a substantial amount of money due to the McCanns failed legal actions against him.  He is entitled to seek reparation.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:08:13 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1919 on: April 28, 2016, 10:06:48 AM »

The files weren't available to the media until 4 August. 21 July was when the AG announced the archival.

Although the book was launched on 24 July, he started a pre-launch media blitz some weeks before that.

It's not difficult to imagine that his bleating about death and cover-up made for far more sensational reading than the conclusions of the archiving report.

14. on the 21st July 2008 the General Prosecution of the Republic divulged a note to the media announcing the archiving of the criminal investigation and that the same could be reopen by the initiative of the Public Ministry or any interested parties if new elements of evidence that would lead to pertinent diligences (article 20 of Base Instrutória) .

26. On the day of its launch, 24.07.08, the book was also sold with the newspaper Correio d Manhã.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk

On 4 August 2008 access to the case file was granted to the 'media' by the Portuguese authorities. In compliance with Portuguese law certain documents had been withheld by the Portuguese authorities for reasons recorded in the file.

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/04.htm

That is totally irrelevant to the public domain issue.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey