Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533521 times)

Offline lordpookles

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1920 on: April 28, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »

Like Lord Archer, you mean  @)(++(*

But this is where the injustice lies imo... No one knows and unless there is some evidence of which there is very little imo they have a right to a good name... The issue of leaving the children alone - no one is disputing that was a wrong decision or did not happen... But all the other insinuations are simply not fair...

Offline Carana

« Reply #1921 on: April 28, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
Are you serious ?

He postulated a thesis, and at no time said the mccanns killed Madeleine.

I didn't say that he'd accused them of killing her. He did, however, accuse them of criminal activity associated with her disappearance.

stephen25000

« Reply #1922 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
But at the very least he is insinuating and speculating that they are responsible for the demise of their daughter... So if they gave the children sleeping medication this is what killed Madeliene... Hence the McCanns were responsible although he does not claim her death was intentional...

I disagree on that.

He did not say they were responsible for her demise.

His thesis was she had an accident from which she did not recover.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1923 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
I didn't say that he'd accused them of killing her. He did, however, accuse them of criminal activity associated with her disappearance.

Which they failed to disprove despite being given the opportunity and invited to do so by the original investigation.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #1924 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »
But this is where the injustice lies imo... No one knows and unless there is some evidence of which there is very little imo they have a right to a good name... The issue of leaving the children alone - no one is disputing that was a wrong decision or did not happen... But all the other insinuations are simply not fair...

Well some appear to be excusing leaving children alone, as than have done it themselves.

Offline Lace

« Reply #1925 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
I disagree on that.

He says the McCann's give Madeleine Calpol,  and that she woke and fell from the sofa because she was groggy,  that's more or less saying the McCann's were responsible for her death, without actually coming out and saying it.

He also gives an example of another child who was murdered by their parents,  why?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1926 on: April 28, 2016, 10:17:32 AM »
Well some appear to be excusing leaving children alone, as than have done it themselves.

What The McCanns did wasn't illegal.  And nor was what I did either.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1927 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »
I disagree on that.

Ok thanks for the clarification, but I think by inference if they covered up the death of their daughter they must have done something illegal or highly unethical concerning Madeliene to want to do so... I have not read the book for what it is worth, just snippets here and there - took the lazy route and watched the documentary...

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1928 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »

Yeah, I don't agree with that and others from an older generation may consider this common practice, but in the present I think most consider this irresponsible. I do. In the interests of giving the McCanns the benefit of the doubt I think I can put this down to a really bad decision... We have all made them...

stephen25000

« Reply #1929 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »
He says the McCann's give Madeleine Calpol,  and that she woke and fell from the sofa because she was groggy,  that's more or less saying the McCann's were responsible for her death, without actually coming out and saying it.

He also gives an example of another child who was murdered by their parents,  why?

Was Calpol in the apartment ?

Did they give their children Calpol ?

Why do parents give their children Calpol ?

I asked one of my students that question a while ago.

His answer, in reference to him and his two younger brothers, 'to keep us quiet'.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1930 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
I disagree on that.

That's not all he said, is it?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1931 on: April 28, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »
I haven't read the book from cover to cover either but what is not in doubt is that it was based on the police files now made public.  From the files Amaral and his colleagues formulated a thesis which they were prevented from investigating further. Amaral then took the decision to quit the police and publish that thesis.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #1932 on: April 28, 2016, 10:24:31 AM »
That's not all he said, is it?

...and ?

Shall we also have a new thread with a meticulous examination of the mccanns and associates statements as well ?

stephen25000

« Reply #1933 on: April 28, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
I haven't read the book from cover to cover either but what is not in doubt is that it was based on the police files now made public.  From the files Amaral and his colleagues formulated a thesis which they were prevented from investigating further. Amaral then took the decision to quit the police and publish that thesis.

That is it in a nutshell.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1934 on: April 28, 2016, 10:29:18 AM »
A thesis, which is not proven and which tarnishes the good name of parents who have lost a child and he pays no recompense for that? If he had proof I would support his endeavours, but this sets a pretty shitty precedent don't you think? I don't think it is a question of whether the McCanns dunnit, but whether anyone feels comfortable living in a society where modern day witch hunts are allowed where hearsay and half established facts are offered as proof...