Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533571 times)

Offline Benice

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1935 on: April 28, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »
Well some appear to be excusing leaving children alone, as than have done it themselves.

And some appear to be completely blinkered to the fact that hundreds of thousands of other parents have done the same on holiday and left their children asleep whilst they went to dinner.   Some parents use baby alarms to do the same.   The fact that tour operators, hoteliers etc etc still offer this service because despite what happened to Madeleine - there is still a demand for it by parents whilst they are on holiday  - is also studiously ignored.

Why aren't sceptics demanding that these parents should be investigated for neglect? 

IMO

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

stephen25000

« Reply #1936 on: April 28, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »
A thesis, which is not proven and which tarnishes the good name of parents who have lost a child and he pays no recompense for that? If he had proof I would support his endeavours, but this sets a pretty shitty precedent don't you think? I don't think it is a question of whether the McCanns dunnit, but whether anyone feels comfortable living in a society where modern day witch hunts are allowed where hearsay and half established facts are offered as proof...

What good name ?

They lost that in leaving three children unprotected and vulnerable to a variety of potential threats.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1937 on: April 28, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
A thesis, which is not proven and which tarnishes the good name of parents who have lost a child and he pays no recompense for that? If he had proof I would support his endeavours, but this sets a pretty shitty precedent don't you think? I don't think it is a question of whether the McCanns dunnit, but whether anyone feels comfortable living in a society where modern day witch hunts are allowed where hearsay and half established facts are offered as proof...

That's my concern as well. The issue is broader than the McCann case.

stephen25000

« Reply #1938 on: April 28, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »
And some appear to be completely blinkered to the fact that hundreds of thousands of other parents have done the same on holiday and left their children asleep whilst they went to dinner.   Some parents use baby alarms to do the same.   The fact that tour operators, hoteliers etc etc still offer this service because despite what happened to Madeleine - there is still a demand for it by parents whilst they are on holiday  - is also studiously ignored.

Why aren't sceptics demanding that these parents should be investigated for neglect? 

IMO

As far as I am concerned, anyone who does what they did , should be arrested.

Are the ones you are referring to, were they leaving their children in unlocked accomodation ?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1939 on: April 28, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Which they failed to disprove despite being given the opportunity and invited to do so by the original investigation.

you show how ridiculous your stance is...no one has to prove themselves innocent

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1940 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »
I disagree on that.

He did not say they were responsible for her demise.

His thesis was she had an accident from which she did not recover.

you have said...as have others the mccanns are to blame for maddie's fate

Offline Lace

« Reply #1941 on: April 28, 2016, 10:55:52 AM »

WELL SAID!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1942 on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »

seconded....If what amaral was saying was true I would be calling for the McCanns to be arrested.....it isn't...but some have swallowed it hook line and sinker

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1943 on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »

This is the real concern.  Or does this "Privilege' only apply to ex members of The PJ.

stephen25000

« Reply #1944 on: April 28, 2016, 11:06:57 AM »
seconded....If what amaral was saying was true I would be calling for the McCanns to be arrested.....it isn't...but some have swallowed it hook line and sinker

Yet Amaral could be right as to an accidental death.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1945 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
OFF TOPIC POSTS will be deleted.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1946 on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »

That would cover a lot of ground. Did you have any particular society, above others of a similar ilk, in mind?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1947 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
That would cover a lot of ground. Did you have any particular society, above others of a similar ilk, in mind?

Hi Alice, no just a humble ideal in mind. What do you think on the matter? Should we allow accusations of this kind without any proof to be printed and distributed without any burden of proof? I could just decide to slander my neighbour for instance and start leafleting the local area with slurs upon his name...

stephen25000

« Reply #1948 on: April 28, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
Hi Alice, no just a humble ideal in mind. What do you think on the matter? Should we allow accusations of this kind without any proof to be printed and distributed without any burden of proof? I could just decide to slander my neighbour for instance and start leafleting the local area with slurs upon his name...

Yet this has happened in the press for many years.

How would you stop it ?

and how would you stop people using legislation to cover up illegal activities.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #1949 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Yet this has happened in the press for many years.

How would you stop it ?

and how would you stop people using legislation to cover up illegal activities.

The press does make stuff up and they get sued a lot in the UK. No system is perfect and I definitely wouldn't hold the UK up as some beacon of light, but if you make stuff up, get your facts wrong then rightly imo you should be able to in an ideal world sue said person...