Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533557 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #2010 on: April 29, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
Available, all too easily in English.

as it has been for the past 8 years....no change

Offline Carana

« Reply #2011 on: April 29, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »
It is only a matter of time before a UK national newspaper serializes the book and publishes excerpts which are not libellous.

Why would any UK rag do that unless it was a pre-launch promo tour?

Libellous or not, they'd have to find bits that are actually factually accurate. Between the two, I can't think of much that would be left.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2012 on: April 29, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
The McCanns cannot afford not to go to the Supreme Court in Portugal because there is just too much at stake.  I don't think the Court will entertain them though unless they can persuade it on a crucial point of law.  I think they have cooked their own goose because Amaral now has the ball at his feet and could ruin them.

I agree Angelo.
They either have to win or have the ref stop the fight. They cannot be seen to be throwing in the towel.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #2013 on: April 29, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »

Libellous or not, they'd have to find bits that are actually factually accurate. Between the two, I can't think of much that would be left.

*&*%£ True. I would think anyone who would be interested have already downloaded it free thanks to his supporters.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2014 on: April 29, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
It's a tricky one.
Is it more humiliating to lose the appeal or have it refused by the court ?
If they don't go to appeal at all, then they lose any chance at the ECHR, though they may not pursue that anyway.

They may win on appeal, of course, though few seem to rate their chances.

Decisions, decisions. Will ego overcome pragmatism?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2015 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:04 PM »

If they thought it would increase copy sales, which then increases advertising revenue and for the venture cash in less cash out = profit then the average rag would sell it's grannies.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #2016 on: April 29, 2016, 07:31:24 PM »
Judging by the comments section in the national press, more people are now interested in seeing Amaral's side of the story.

I doubt whether he will be too bothered as regards extra sales.

The irony is of course, many people will use the internet to obtain the book and not bother with bookshops.

..and of course he can write another book about his experiences of the mccanns, the court procedures, and the mccanns lust for revenge and money.

A best seller  8)--))

Offline jassi

« Reply #2017 on: April 29, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
*&*%£ True. I would think anyone who would be interested have already downloaded it free thanks to his supporters.

There's nothing quite like having the real thing to handle and be able to mark favourite passages to savour again and again.  8)-)))

A signed copy of course
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:50:38 PM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2018 on: April 29, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »
There's nothing quite like having the real thing to handle and have marked favourite passages to savour again and again.  8)-)))

A signed copy of course

the court did say it was a literary work

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #2019 on: April 29, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
sounds like you're talking about the holy bible!

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2020 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20:08 PM »
Available, all too easily in English.
It is a pity that the book by KM is not available freely online. It is a useful and honest book.
It's main aim is to help find what happened to the child - therefore the online version should be free.

Offline John

« Reply #2021 on: April 29, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
Please don't post third party comments by anonymous respondents to newspaper articles. 
Original comment only please gents!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

« Reply #2022 on: April 30, 2016, 12:25:51 AM »
It is a pity that the book by KM is not available freely online. It is a useful and honest book.
It's main aim is to help find what happened to the child - therefore the online version should be free.

Send her an email and ask her to stop the BUY MY BOOK advert on the official madeleine website and thoe in READ MY BOOK FOR FREE

You do have a point, after fund raising sales were made years ago and IF anything in the book might yield a suspect she would do well to publsh it freely worldwide, surely

Just thnk the one person who might hold the single piece to the jigsaw might be somene who couldnt be bothered buy the book
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:28:05 AM by mercury »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2023 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33:07 AM »
I doubt the publisher would agree to it Merc.
BTW I am not criticising the book - it is very good IMO.

Offline mercury

« Reply #2024 on: April 30, 2016, 12:35:48 AM »
I doubt the publisher would agree to it Merc.
BTW I am not criticising the book - it is very good IMO.

Oh well I suppose youre rght, they could always sue the publisher for hampering the search