Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533573 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #2025 on: April 30, 2016, 12:47:31 AM »
Tuesday ITV appearance has been cancelled

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2026 on: April 30, 2016, 01:03:44 AM »
Tuesday ITV appearance has been cancelled

Sorry Pegasus, I must have missed this ~ whose appearance?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline mercury

« Reply #2028 on: April 30, 2016, 01:14:48 AM »
Oh dear oh dear

Whyever would they back out of a tv regular friendly couch show

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #2029 on: April 30, 2016, 01:16:16 AM »
McCanns pull out of Lorraine TV show appearance after devastating libel case defeat

THE parents of Madeleine McCann will not make a fresh plea to find her next week.
By Jerry Lawton, EXCLUSIVE / Published 30th April 2016

Kate and Gerry McCann and Lorraine Kelly GETTY/PA
SETBACK: Kate & Gerry McCann were due to appear on ITV's Lorraine early next week

Kate and Gerry were expected to talk to ITV’s Lorraine Kelly on Tuesday, the ninth anniversary of their daughter’s disappearance.

But they have pulled out after suffering a £390,000 setback in their libel battle with ex-Portuguese detective Goncalo Amaral.

They fear the court fight will deflect attention from the search for Maddie, who was three when she disappeared from their holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007.

Goncalo Amaral PA
VICTORY: Ex-cop Amaral's £390,000 libel payout was overturned by an appeal court

The country’s appeal court has ruled in favour of the former cop and overturned the libel payout that he was ordered to make to the McCanns.

He wrote a book in which he accused the couple of covering up Maddie’s accidental death.

Kate, 48, and Gerry, 47, of Rothley, Leics, were said to be seething over the decision and are now lining up an appeal in Portugal’s Supreme Court.

Maddie in an Everton shirt PA
SAD: Maddie was three when she disappeared from the McCann's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz

They are also said to have turned down huge television and magazine interview offers from around the world.

Meanwhile, Mr Amaral, 57, has now been allowed to re-publish his book.

Maddie McCann looking at the camera PA
FOCUSED: The family have reportedly turned down huge television and magazine interview offers

It is back on sale and is set to appear in English for the first time.

A family friend said: “They would love to make a new appeal, but are aware that any journalist would want to inquire about Mr Amaral’s victory.

“They’re seething over the ruling. That’s the last thing they want to discuss.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:18:30 AM by carlymichelle »

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #2030 on: April 30, 2016, 01:19:13 AM »
oh dear  not like the mcanns to be camera shy  is it?? and awesome news about   the book  coming out in english

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2031 on: April 30, 2016, 01:24:35 AM »
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/511851/Kate-Gerry-McCann-pull-out-of-TV-appearance-Lorraine-Amaral-libel-case

Thank you, Pegasus. 

No doubt they will have the opportunity to publicise Madeleine on another occasion when they are launching the new age progressed image they have said they think is necessary.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline mercury

« Reply #2032 on: April 30, 2016, 01:32:51 AM »
Thank you, Pegasus. 

No doubt they will have the opportunity to publicise Madeleine on another occasion when they are launching the new age progressed image they have said they think is necessary.

Is that what they were going on lorraine to do then? Publcise a new age prgression photo? Whats stopping them?

Wheres the urgency?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2033 on: April 30, 2016, 01:50:02 AM »
Is that what they were going on lorraine to do then? Publcise a new age prgression photo? Whats stopping them?

Wheres the urgency?

No ... they don't have an age progressed image at the moment ... I believe they intend to commission one.

Just a reminder ... Tuesday is the ninth anniversary of Madeleine McCann's disappearance ... I don't know why they have have pulled out of a vehicle to publicise her, possibly Mr Amaral's appeal court victory might have a bearing or it may not.

I have no problem at all with his following being happy about his victory ... but find it just a tad below the belt at the glee being evidenced that on the ninth anniversary of their daughter's disappearance they feel unable to take the opportunity to publicise her for whatever reason.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #2034 on: April 30, 2016, 01:56:58 AM »
No ... they don't have an age progressed image at the moment ... I believe they intend to commission one.

Just a reminder ... Tuesday is the ninth anniversary of Madeleine McCann's disappearance ... I don't know why they have have pulled out of a vehicle to publicise her, possibly Mr Amaral's appeal court victory might have a bearing or it may not.

I have no problem at all with his following being happy about his victory ... but find it just a tad below the belt at the glee being evidenced that on the ninth anniversary of their daughter's disappearance they feel unable to take the opportunity to publicise her for whatever reason.

now they know how  GA has  felt all these years

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2035 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
The McCanns spent years trying to silence Amaral. At the moment they have failed. As a result they have pulled out of a planned TV interview and are declining all interviews in case they have to answer questions about their court defeat.

A family friend said: “They would love to make a new appeal, but are aware that any journalist would want to inquire about Mr Amaral’s victory.

“They’re seething over the ruling. That’s the last thing they want to discuss. ’’
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/511851/Kate-Gerry-McCann-pull-out-of-TV-appearance-Lorraine-Amaral-libel-case

Whichever way I look at this decision I can't quite decide if it's logical. I understand the basic premise; 'we want to appeal for people to search for Madeleine and this will distract from it'.

I have seen the McCanns being interviewed and they became quite adept at answering questions with the answers they wanted to give. Asked about 'neglect' they talked about who the 'real' criminal was, for example. Has that politician style skill deserted them?

Much has been said about how Amaral's book harmed the search. They are turning down opportunities to reiterate that. They said that's why they brought the action and they hinted that it was the reason they won the first hearing. Are they afraid to admit that it had nothing to do with the first judgement?

Who is harming the search now? If they try to suggest a causal connection between the appeal judgement and their failure to appeal on 3rd May they will fail. It's obviously their decision for whatever reason, and it looks like they have no answers to any questions that could be asked.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

« Reply #2036 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
The McCanns spent years trying to silence Amaral. At the moment they have failed. As a result they have pulled out of a planned TV interview and are declining all interviews in case they have to answer questions about their court defeat.

“They’re seething over the ruling. That’s the last thing they want to discuss. ’’

Whichever way I look at this decision I can't quite decide if it's logical. I understand the basic premise; 'we want to appeal for people to search for Madeleine and this will distract from it'.

I have seen the McCanns being interviewed and they became quite adept at answering questions with the answers they wanted to give. Asked about 'neglect' they talked about who the 'real' criminal was, for example. Has that politician style skill deserted them?

Much has been said about how Amaral's book harmed the search. They are turning down opportunities to reiterate that. They said that's why they brought the action and they hinted that it was the reason they won the first hearing. Are they afraid to admit that it had nothing to do with the first judgement?

Who is harming the search now? If they try to suggest a causal connection between the appeal judgement and their failure to appeal on 3rd May they will fail. It's obviously their decision for whatever reason, and it looks like they have no answers to any questions that could be asked.

I don't think even sceptics realise the damage that this latest ruling has caused both in financial and emotional terms.  The McCanns are devastated by this ruling, it has scuttled their plans for what was to be a renewed effort to promote the case as they see it and on their terms as victors on a worldwide stage.

Now Amaral is the victor, not only have they lost some €500,000 which was about to come to them in damages but they could very well be facing ruin as Amaral's own damages claim goes to Court.

What happens now is as unpredictable as the next Supreme Court decision.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:08:53 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2037 on: April 30, 2016, 09:22:54 AM »
I don't think even sceptics realise the damage that this latest ruling has caused both in financial and emotional terms.  The McCanns are devastated by this ruling, it has scuttled their plans for what was to be a renewed effort to promote the case as they see it and on their terms as victors on a worldwide stage.

Now Amaral is the victor, not only have they lost some €500,000 which was about to come to them in damages but they could very well be facing ruin as Amaral's own damages claim go to Court.

Every appearance they have done has been largely on their terms. They have faced very few questions which could be described as probing. At the first hint of searching questions being asked they withdraw.

I suspect the difficulty lies in the actual ruling. The abduction, which the McCanns have broadcast as an indisputable fact since day one has been ruled as being merely a theory. In addition, Amaral's theory has been ruled as having as much weight as theirs, with an equal right to be heard.

Result = happy posting.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #2038 on: April 30, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »
Couldn't help but notice that the British press is not really reporting that the McCanns have lost this libel case and there has been a deluge of other news connected to the case being reported instead, like the burglar theory and lack of PJ cooperation. Take this article in the telegraph published yesterday I believe. It reads as if they have won the libel case - no mention of Amaral winning on appeal at all(check out the timeline at the bottom of the article too). PR efforts maybe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/madeleine-mccann-abducted-during-botched-burglary/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:56:06 AM by lordpookles »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2039 on: April 30, 2016, 10:33:20 AM »
Couldn't help but notice that the British press is not really reporting that the McCanns have lost this libel case and there has been a deluge of other news connected to the case being reported instead, like the burglar theory and lack of PJ cooperation. Take this article in the telegraph published yesterday I believe. It reads as if they have won the libel case - no mention of Amaral winning on appeal at all(check out the timeline at the bottom of the article too). PR efforts maybe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/madeleine-mccann-abducted-during-botched-burglary/

The UK press haven't bothered to read, digest, analyse and report on the ins and outs of the damages trial. Reporting has been very sparse, mainly just repeating what the Mccanns have said about it. Why they have failed to provide a balanced and factual account is a mystery.

It's also a mystery why the McCanns expect to be questioned about it. Judging on past form interviewers in the UK would rather cut out their own tongues  than ask any questions which would upset them.

Perhaps those who wanted the interviews have become less keen also? It cannot have escaped the media that the abduction has been found by a court of law to be just one theory of what happened to Madeleine. By promoting it as a fact their reporting has been very unbalanced. Can they continue with that bias indefinitely or are they beginning to feel the need to mention the lack of evidence for the theory and the existence of other, equally valid, theories?

Result = happy posting.