Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533521 times)

Offline faithlilly

I take it that either you have failed to read Faithlilly's post ... or if you have, you disagree?

My post was written in regard to the huge court costs that the McCanns will be liable for if their appeal to the SC fails and the effect those costs will have if the couple need once again to fund their own search.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Alice Purjorick

My post was written in regard to the huge court costs that the McCanns will be liable for if their appeal to the SC fails and the effect those costs will have if the couple need once again to fund their own search.

The validity of the idea that the fund could pay the fees and expenses on the basis that the trial was about the search being impeded, one of the funds objectives, could potentially be called into question if the end result is in favour of Amaral as the court has already ruled the search was not impeded.
One may not remove funds willy nilly from a limited company as some methods attract a tax liability....... &%+((£
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Angelo222

It's an arrogant assumption (not necessarily wrong) but a strictly personal and private conclusion for most immediate loved-ones of the missing child to reach, in their time and in their way.

Don't get me wrong oh King of the libel, I have every sympathy for the parents of any missing child but given that even Redwood was looking for a body, the inevitable conclusion must be reached.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

I suspect that Portugal's highest court will do one of two things.  They won't accept the appeal arguments to begin with or they will boot them into touch.  I really don't think the McCanns have a cat in hells chance of overturning the Appeal Court judgement.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline faithlilly

The validity of the idea that the fund could pay the fees and expenses on the basis that the trial was about the search being impeded, one of the funds objectives, could potentially be called into question if the end result is in favour of Amaral as the court has already ruled the search was not impeded.
One may not remove funds willy nilly from a limited company as some methods attract a tax liability....... &%+((£

Interesting times ahead methinks !
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Angelo222

What I would like to know is how much these lawyers are pocketing on the back of a little missing girl?

Je ne regrette rien!!

Alfie

Called into question by who?

Alfie

Charity stuff as promised:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277353/cc4text.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359632/cc4textannexc.pdf

The only issue as I see it is:
A date for a launch was fixed before any one had properly worked out the nuts and bolts. The driver became the pre announced date. Painted into a corner with the only way out to achieve the fanfared launch was to create a private limited company.

Any other offers ?
Oh dear, but that doesn't allow for insinuations that the parents deliberately rejected the offer of charity status because they wanted to keep all the money for themselves to sue anyone that stood in their way does it?

Offline jassi

Called into question by who?

A 'concerned forum member', perhaps. There seem to be a few around.  8(0(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline slartibartfast

Oh dear, but that doesn't allow for insinuations that the parents deliberately rejected the offer of charity status because they wanted to keep all the money for themselves to sue anyone that stood in their way does it?

It appears from the cite that the Charity Commission were working with the McCann's representatives on revised wording to set it up as a charity and for reasons undisclosed decided to go ahead with a limited company.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline ShiningInLuz

It appears from the cite that the Charity Commission were working with the McCann's representatives on revised wording to set it up as a charity and for reasons undisclosed decided to go ahead with a limited company.
Kate's book "Madeleine" p137-138

"BWB, the law firm drawing up the articles of association for the fighting fund, had talked to the Charity Commission about whether it would be eligible for charitable status.  As its objectives were limited to the search for a single child and the beneficiaries were essentially one family, it was deemed that the 'public benefit' test would not be met. So the fund took the form of a not-for-profit, private limited company."
What's up, old man?

stephen25000

"BWB, the law firm drawing up the articles of association for the fighting fund, had talked to the Charity Commission about whether it would be eligible for charitable status.  As its objectives were limited to the search for a single child and the beneficiaries were essentially one family, it was deemed that the 'public benefit' test would not be met. So the fund took the form of a not-for-profit, private limited company."

Trying to go for a charity status might be perceived as an attempt at avoiding tax.

Offline jassi

Has it ever been explained why it was termed a 'fighting fund'  Who were they planning on fighting in those very early days?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

Has it ever been explained why it was termed a 'fighting fund'  Who were they planning on fighting in those very early days?

Good point Jassi .

Maybe they anticipated court cases, especilly those not following the doctrine of 'abduction'. 8**8:/:

Offline Alice Purjorick

Was it supposed to?

I just thought I would provide links to the pukkah gen so folk were not arguing from the position of ignorance !

You do seem to have come up with your customary sneer rather than provide another "offer" as asked.
Why do you think it panned out the way it did?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey