Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533570 times)

Offline Mr Gray

The McCanns stated abduction with certainty.

that is rather a ridiculous statement imo

Offline Miss Taken Identity

that is rather a ridiculous statement imo

I agree it is ridiculous to state with certanty that Maddie was abducted- very foolish especially without any evidence.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline mercury

If Amaral and his team concluded in the Summer of 2007 that Madeleine had certainly died in the apartment perhaps you can tell me why they would put any serious effort into following up potential leads which suggested a different scenario?

GA was off the case a few weeks after the interim report of sept 07 where the teams theory was finalised, so your question is better directed at Paulo Rebelo his successor. We cant know anythng for a fact as the case was closed in summer 2008 just before GAs book came out so there are no files to consult, but you can consult the existing ones for work done oct 07 to june 08 and any reputable media sources for the times of interest

Alfie

GA was off the case a few weeks after the interim report of sept 07 where the teams theory was finalised, so your question is better directed at Paulo Rebelo his successor. We cant know anythng for a fact as the case was closed in summer 2008 just before GAs book came out so there are no files to consult, but you can consult the existing ones for work done oct 07 to june 08 and any reputable media sources for the times of interest
My question is directed specifically to Amaral and his team who concluded that Madeleine had certainly died in the apartment - why would they put any serious effort into following up potential leads that pointed to adifferent scenario (up to the point at which he was booted off the case and someone with more logical thought processes was appointed).  This thread is about Amaral, his book, his conclusions and the damage he potentially inflicted on the investigation, Madeleine and her parents.

Offline mercury

My question is directed specifically to Amaral and his team who concluded that Madeleine had certainly died in the apartment - why would they put any serious effort into following up potential leads that pointed to adifferent scenario (up to the point at which he was booted off the case and someone with more logical thought processes was appointed).  This thread is about Amaral, his book, his conclusions and the damage he potentially inflicted on the investigation, Madeleine and her parents.

First you have to prove they didnt up until GA was removed, then ask the question, and then move on, logically, in your quest

Do you really think all those hundreds of thousands of PJ files were all detailing efforts designed to frame the Mccanns or sabotage any lead? Then youre not as aufait as I thought you might be.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Are you suggesting they didn't and do you have any evidence to support this?
we have already heard the McCanns claim  that 'no body was doing anything' whereas that was evidently not true. Many locals and PJ were out searching. even though they had no clue of the time scale of Maddies disappearance. Was she missing for hours? half hour? minutes before her mother noticed her missing?
Hmmm you see the difficulty here- where to search!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline ShiningInLuz

chapter 16...

Amralal was lead detective...if he states with certainty there was a body in 5a then people will believe him. He completely ignores what Grime says about the alerts

If amaral and his team believed with certainty taht maddie died in 5a and the parents covered up an accident...would they really investigate other scenarios
Thank you.  I will go back and review it when I can.  At the moment, dinner is top of the agenda.
What's up, old man?

ferryman

First you have to prove they didnt up until GA was removed, then ask the question, and then move on, logically, in your quest

Do you really think all those hundreds of thousands of PJ files were all detailing efforts designed to frame the Mccanns or sabotage any lead? Then youre not as aufait as I thought you might be.

depends who you mean by they doesn't it?

Mark Harrison certainly didn't.

Martin Grime (after a fashion) toed the correct line and said that no incriminating inference should be drawn from the reactions of the dogs (without corroborating evidence).

Joao Carlos, at one point, entertained the notion of parental guilt, but atoned with a genuinely fine final PJ report.

We can confidently predict that Stuart Prior never thought the McCanns guilty.

Who else?

It's an interesting point whether Amaral can get away with recording the point of the investigation when he left it without the (more complete) picture that emerged.

Amaral says that the prosecutors 'changed their minds', and that is actually conceivable, in a way not remotely pejorative of them.

They are human, and are likely to have been influenced by the lurid reports in the early days, as much as the rest of us.

But, exercising the proper judicial caution expected of them by dint of the positions they occupied, they waited until they had read the entirety of the files before reaching a final, and definitive, conclusion.

Offline mercury

anyone involved in the investigation

Offline G-Unit

Mark Harrison certainly didn't.

Martin Grime (after a fashion) toed the correct line and said that no incriminating inference should be drawn from the reactions of the dogs (without corroborating evidence).

Joao Carlos, at one point, entertained the notion of parental guilt, but atoned with a genuinely fine final PJ report.

We can confidently predict that Stuart Prior never thought the McCanns guilty.

Who else?

It's an interesting point whether Amaral can get away with recording the point of the investigation when he left it without the (more complete) picture that emerged.

Amaral says that the prosecutors 'changed their minds', and that is actually conceivable, in a way not remotely pejorative of them.

They are human, and are likely to have been influenced by the lurid reports in the early days, as much as the rest of us.

But, exercising the proper judicial caution expected of them by dint of the positions they occupied, they waited until they had read the entirety of the files before reaching a final, and definitive, conclusion.

Dunno what that means. His book is back on sale if that helps to answer your question.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

ferryman

Dunno what that means. His book is back on sale if that helps to answer your question.

No it doesn't.

Amaral's book takes the investigation as far as Almeida's interim report, mangles and misrepresents the work of Mark Harrison and has a conclusion diametrically opposite from that of the Portuguese prosecutors. 

What is meant by 'Amaral's books reflects what's written in the files' is 'Amaral's book reflects what's written in Almeida's interim report.

It doesn't reflect the final PJ report (it couldn't, because it was written before that report was written) neither does it reflect the archiving dispatch (same reason).

Amaral's book chronically misrepresents Mark Harrison  and libels Stuart Prior (incidentally, also, libelling the McCanns).

I don't understand Portuguese libel law at all (based on this, most recent, ruling).

It seems to have nothing to do with any duty incumbent on a defendant to represent truth, balance and objectivity.

I've never seen the film, but I gather from those who have, that's worse (hard to believe) ....

ferryman

I don't think you fully understand the terms. There's a good explanation if you follow the link;

Most nations today follow one of two major legal traditions: common law or civil law. The common law tradition emerged in England during the Middle Ages and was applied within British colonies across continents. The civil law tradition developed in continental Europe at the same time and was applied in the colonies of European imperial powers such as Spain and Portugal.
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/library/robbins/CommonLawCivilLawTraditions.html

Interesting read, and thank you.

For example, the English High Court is classified as a civil court; also the English County Court

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/legal-system/high-court/

ferryman

No, it doesn't.

Offline G-Unit

No, it doesn't.

Well, he's 'getting away with' selling it, so he must be 'getting away with' what it says.  8(>((
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

Interesting read, and thank you.

For example, the English High Court is classified as a civil court; also the English County Court

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/legal-system/high-court/

I was referring to the legal systems of the two countries, which is what the link explains. UK is common law, Portugal is civil.
Result = happy posting.