Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533522 times)

Offline faithlilly

Is there any good reason why we should be taking cognisance of an interim report full of the inaccurate conclusions of the team which botched the investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance from a convicted torturer?   http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=2140.0

There is a final report containing the conclusion of a competent PJ team that neither of the Drs McCann or Mr Murat had any locus in whatever it was that happened to Madeleine.

I would consider that the continued disingenuous smearing of Madeleine's parents quoting out of date and discounted information while ignoring the more up to date report amounts to libelling those parents ... if not in Portugal, most certainly in Britain.

Convicted torturer ? Come, come Brietta you know better than that.

As to the competent PJ team was that the same team who requested that the McCanns and their friends come back to carry out a reconstitution ?

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline jassi

Convicted torturer ? Come, come Brietta you know better than that.

As to the competent PJ team was that the same team who requested that the McCanns and their friends come back to carry out a reconstitution ?

Wasn't it just a slight misunderstanding over some paperwork?   @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline misty

Tavares de Almeida wrote the interim report.
Tavares de Almeida is a convicted torturer.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Wasn't it just a slight misunderstanding over some paperwork?   @)(++(*

You know that, I know that, the court has recorded that ,any one who read the paperwork knows that but there are always those who think it was something different.
It is  known as The Cristovao [Columbo] Syndrome.
Where: when one starts out one does not know where one is going, when one arrives one does not know where one is, when one comes back one does not know where one has been and for the rest of ones life one swears it was somewhere else.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

You know that, I know that, the court has recorded that ,any one who read the paperwork knows that but there are always those who think it was something different.
It is  known as The Cristovao [Columbo] Syndrome.
Where: when one starts out one does not know where one is going, when one arrives one does not know where one is, when one comes back one does not know where one has been and for the rest of ones life one swears it was somewhere else.
You are talking about the wrong convicted criminal

Offline jassi

Phew, that's a change - its usually Amaral getting slagged off for these things  @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

Here is a blow-by-blow account of the events in the courtroom courtesy of Sky’s Jon di Paolo:
snip>
2:09: The McCanns’ lawyer is rebuked for saying de Almeida was accused of torturing suspects – he was never charged. < snip

any offers?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline misty

Here is a blow-by-blow account of the events in the courtroom courtesy of Sky’s Jon di Paolo:
snip>
2:09: The McCanns’ lawyer is rebuked for saying de Almeida was accused of torturing suspects – he was never charged. < snip

any offers?

http://expresso.sapo.pt/dois-inspetores-da-pj-condenados-por-tortura=f782292

Two inspectors PJ convicted of torture
Lawyer shows the victim was relieved by the end of a process that has dragged on for 13 years. "From what I understand, it is the first time that such a process leads to the conviction of persons in concrete," says the Express.

Two chief inspectors of the PJ were sentenced today to prison terms of two and a half years, suspended upon payment of a fine in that monthly period, for having tortured a man DCCB's premises in March 2000. Another element of PJ was acquitted.

In a judgment with about 40 pages, the Lisbon Criminal Court sentenced the two chief inspectors of the Judicial Police to pay each month, each, the sum of 80 euros for a fund that will ultimately accrue to the victim, Virgolino Borges, who was assistant in the process. The decision was known in 3. ª stick, by 14h30.

Jerónimo Martins, lawyer Virgolino Borges, was relieved by the end of a process that has dragged on for 13 years. "From what I understand, it is the first time that such a process leads to the conviction of persons in concrete," he told Express.

The three inspectors - Diamond José dos Santos, and Antonio Alves da Cunha, were part of the same brigade of the then Central Directorate for Combating Gangsterism (DCCB). In March 2000, Virgolino Borges was taken to the PJ on suspicion of theft (a process that eventually involved). On days 2 and 3, he complained, was beaten repeatedly with a board and punched in the feet by PJ inspectors.

In a first phase investigation, the prosecutor eventually dismiss the case. At that time, consisted Virgolino assistant and requested the opening statement - which culminated in the indictment of three police for the crime of torture, criminal whose frame varies between one and five years in prison.

The two defendants, Diamantino dos Santos de Almeida and Tavares were convicted co-author

The three inspectors Judicial, both now convicted and who was acquitted, all remain active.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Lawyer shows the victim was relieved by the end of a process that has dragged on for 13 years. "From what I understand, it is the first time that such a process leads to the conviction of persons in concrete," says the Express.

Two chief inspectors of the PJ were sentenced today to prison terms of two and a half years, suspended upon payment of a fine in that monthly period, for having tortured a man DCCB's premises in March 2000. Another element of PJ was acquitted.

In a judgment with about 40 pages, the Lisbon Criminal Court sentenced the two chief inspectors of the Judicial Police to pay each month, each, the sum of 80 euros for a fund that will ultimately accrue to the victim, Virgolino Borges, who was assistant in the process. The decision was known in 3. ª stick, by 14h30.

Jerónimo Martins, lawyer Virgolino Borges, was relieved by the end of a process that has dragged on for 13 years. "From what I understand, it is the first time that such a process leads to the conviction of persons in concrete," he told Express.

The three inspectors - Diamond José dos Santos, and Antonio Alves da Cunha, were part of the same brigade of the then Central Directorate for Combating Gangsterism (DCCB). In March 2000, Virgolino Borges was taken to the PJ on suspicion of theft (a process that eventually involved). On days 2 and 3, he complained, was beaten repeatedly with a board and punched in the feet by PJ inspectors.

In a first phase investigation, the prosecutor eventually dismiss the case. At that time, consisted Virgolino assistant and requested the opening statement - which culminated in the indictment of three police for the crime of torture, criminal whose frame varies between one and five years in prison.

The two defendants, Diamantino dos Santos de Almeida and Tavares were convicted co-author

The three inspectors Judicial, both now convicted and who was acquitted, all remain active.

Oh right yeah !
Just like us then?
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=metropolitan+police+brutality
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/over-3000-police-officers-being-investigated-for-alleged-assault-and-almost-all-of-them-are-still-on-10220091.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18021317

Offline G-Unit

Is there any good reason why we should be taking cognisance of an interim report full of the inaccurate conclusions of the team which botched the investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance from a convicted torturer?   http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=2140.0

There is a final report containing the conclusion of a competent PJ team that neither of the Drs McCann or Mr Murat had any locus in whatever it was that happened to Madeleine.

I would consider that the continued disingenuous smearing of Madeleine's parents quoting out of date and discounted information while ignoring the more up to date report amounts to libelling those parents ... if not in Portugal, most certainly in Britain.

There's a perfectly good reason if you read back Brietta. Amaral's book reached the same conclusions as the interim report written on 10th September 2007.

That's because his book was about his time on the investigation. I don't think it covered what happened after he left, did it?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

Three points of interest, Misty; as far as the victim's lawyer was concerned this was a first for a conviction of this kind, quite remarkable given Amnesty International Reports on torture while in police custody.

The event happened in 2000.

After conviction ... the guilty pair returned to work as senior police officers as if no heinous crime had been committed by them.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

There's a perfectly good reason if you read back Brietta. Amaral's book reached the same conclusions as the interim report written on 10th September 2007.

That's because his book was about his time on the investigation. I don't think it covered what happened after he left, did it?

What happened after he left was that Robert Murat and the Drs McCann were cleared of any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance.

In British law therefore any innuendo to imply otherwise using Mr Amaral's very flawed thesis as a prop could easily be considered as an attempt to defame those against whom Mr Amaral makes what we now know to be erroneous claims.
Something which has been apparent since Madeleine's case was shelved in 2008.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

What happened after he left was that Robert Murat and the Drs McCann were cleared of any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance.

In British law therefore any innuendo to imply otherwise using Mr Amaral's very flawed thesis as a prop could easily be considered as an attempt to defame those against whom Mr Amaral makes what we now know to be erroneous claims.
Something which has been apparent since Madeleine's case was shelved in 2008.

I was replying to a member who thinks the book differed significantly from the investigation. My point is that it matches the investigation findings at the time, which is pretty much what the first judge said.

I'm not discussing 2008, I'm implying nothing, I'm pointing out that those were the thoughts of the investigation at the time when he was removed from it.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

Three points of interest, Misty; as far as the victim's lawyer was concerned this was a first for a conviction of this kind, quite remarkable given Amnesty International Reports on torture while in police custody.

The event happened in 2000.

After conviction ... the guilty pair returned to work as senior police officers as if no heinous crime had been committed by them.

Is your objection to police brutality or just to police brutality in Portugal?
Just so we can work out your terms of reference.

Offline Mr Gray

Is your objection to police brutality or just to police brutality in Portugal?
Just so we can work out your terms of reference.

you want to excuse what happened in portugal by saying police brutality happens in other countries.
Portugal appears worse because....
have you ever seen an accused appearing in court in the UK as badly beaten as cipriano with the police making the excuse...she fell down the stairs. It seems the PJ didn't care who saw the injuries because they were so confident they would get away with it...and they did

Then we have almeida....took 12 years to finally convict him...and he is allowed to carry on working...

Both cases attracting the interest of Amnesty

Thats why I think things are worse in portugal although i don't condone police brutality anywhere