Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400469 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #4905 on: June 02, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
....it wasnt
My cite linked to a fairly short report.... Did you check my cite... I'm fairly sure you didn't. So why did you allow sil to state as, a, fact it was, meaningless ...it wasn't imo.

What was the point you were making with your cite again? I've looked back and I'm not sure what you claim it demonstrates.

I know it measures the scholastiic performance of 15 year olds in maths, science and reading. The results are used to compare the educational systems of the countries taking part.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:00:17 PM by Angelo222 »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4906 on: June 02, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
What was the point you were making with your cite again? I've looked back and I'm not sure what you claim it demonstrates.

I know it measures the scholastiic performance of 15 year olds in maths, science and reading. The results are used to compare the educational systems of the countries taking part.

My point was in relation to posts from sil... I'm not prepared to go through it all again...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:00:53 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4907 on: June 02, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »

Sil claimed that the abolition of selection had reduced brighter students to the illiterate level of those who didn't pass the eleven plus... That's an appalling insult to millions of children... My cite showed that abilities had not been dumbed down.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:44:41 PM by slartibartfast »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4908 on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »

Did your child pass the eleven plus... Do you mind sil referring to them as illiterate.. My older children did... Bit I resent insults against less able children.. Particularly when they are based on total ignorance
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:02:33 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4909 on: June 02, 2019, 10:20:27 AM »
Sil claimed that the abolition of selection had reduced brighter students to the illiterate level of those who didn't pass the eleven plus... That's an appalling insult to millions of children... My cite showed that abilities had not been dumbed down

As I understood it SIL was speaking of mixed ability classes. Obviously the  teacher has to teach in such a way that the less able can progress. This penalises the more able by slowing them down.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:03:31 PM by Angelo222 »
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4910 on: June 02, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
As I understood it SIL was speaking of mixed ability classes. Obviously the  teacher has to teach in such a way that the less able can progress. This penalises the more able by slowing them down.

Sil never mentioned  mixed ability classes so unless you have a cite you are making things up
He specifically talked of the abolition of entry based on selection... Schools have streaming to cater for different abilities

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4911 on: June 02, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »
Did your child pass the eleven plus... Do you mind sil referring to them as illiterate.. My older children did... Bit I resent insults against less able children.. Particularly when they are based on total ignorance

Are you sure SIL said anyone who failed the 11 plus was illiterate? Illiterate means unable to read and write and many who failed the 11 plus could read and write.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4912 on: June 02, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »
Are you sure SIL said anyone who failed the 11 plus was illiterate? Illiterate means unable to read and write and many who failed the 11 plus could read and write.

Have a read back at sils posts

Strangely enough, I don't see that dragging down an entire generation of kids who would end up repaying their teaching through 40% tax rates to the level of the illiterate was a step forward.  Funny old world, innit?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:38:55 AM by Davel »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4913 on: June 02, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »
Sil never mentioned  mixed ability classes so unless you have a cite you are making things up
He specifically talked of the abolition of entry based on selection... Schools have streaming to cater for different abilities

I think you'll find I spoke about my Latin teacher trying to teach Latin to kids who could not read or write English.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4914 on: June 02, 2019, 10:37:54 AM »
I think you'll find I spoke about my Latin teacher trying to teach Latin to kids who could not read or write English.

your post..

Strangely enough, I don't see that dragging down an entire generation of kids who would end up repaying their teaching through 40% tax rates to the level of the illiterate was a step forward.  Funny old world, innit?

its a little difficult debating with posters who cannot remember their own posts

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4915 on: June 02, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »

How was she supposed to teach Latin, when a fair chunk of the new intake could not read or write English?

so you claim a fair chunk of those who failed the 11 plus could not read or write english...more rubbish

at my school..latin was only taught to the top stream...even though teh school was s elective...so I doubt your lati teacher would ahve been expected to teach latin to all...as you admitted...you couldnt hack it
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:47:38 AM by Davel »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4916 on: June 02, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »
your post..

its a little difficult debating with posters who cannot remember their own posts

I have to question that post. I can't believe that illiterate students were taught in the same classes as the brightest students in any comprehensive school. The comprehensive my children attended had streaming. 
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4917 on: June 02, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
I have to question that post. I can't believe that illiterate students were taught in the same classes as the brightest students in any comprehensive school. The comprehensive my children attended had streaming.

Thats why I questioned it and posted taht sils claims were based on ignorance....and provided a cite to show taht the lack of selection had not dumb down our education system

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4918 on: June 02, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »
Being literate means being able to read and write. People who were illiterate used to sign with an X where their signature should be. We have very few who are in that category any more. What we have are levels of literacy from minimal to highly accomplished.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:06:33 PM by Angelo222 »
Result = happy posting.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4919 on: June 02, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
How was she supposed to teach Latin, when a fair chunk of the new intake could not read or write English?

so you claim a fair chunk of those who failed the 11 plus could not read or write english...more rubbish

at my school..latin was only taught to the top stream...even though teh school was s elective...so I doubt your lati teacher would ahve been expected to teach latin to all...as you admitted...you couldnt hack it

I wrote about the school going comprehensive. That, unless I'm mistaken, does not equate to 'failure at 11+ level".

I needed to get 2 languages to get accepted at university, even though I was not going to study languages.  I got 2.  One was Latin.  The other was French.  I disliked them both so I stopped studying them as soon as I had passed my exams.

I wish I hadn't, because both are extremely valuable.

Shortly before the 10th anniversary, I was on a Luz Tour with a team from AFP, a large media organisation which originated in France.  Two of the team members started conversing in French, possibly to keep their conversation private.  I informed them that though my French is rusty after years of non-use, I could remember enough to understand what they were saying.

You don't get into Edinburgh University unless you can 'hack it'.  They are very selective.   &^^&*
What's up, old man?