Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400467 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #4920 on: June 02, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
I wrote about the school going comprehensive. That, unless I'm mistaken, does not equate to 'failure at 11+ level".

I needed to get 2 languages to get accepted at university, even though I was not going to study languages.  I got 2.  One was Latin.  The other was French.  I disliked them both so I stopped studying them as soon as I had passed my exams.

I wish I hadn't, because both are extremely valuable.

Shortly before the 10th anniversary, I was on a Luz Tour with a team from AFP, a large media organisation which originated in France.  Two of the team members started conversing in French, possibly to keep their conversation private.  I informed them that though my French is rusty after years of non-use, I could remember enough to understand what they were saying.

You don't get into Edinburgh University unless you can 'hack it'.  They are very selective.   &^^&*

My offer was three grade Es for a course that now requires three As.... Hardly a, sign of education dumbing down..
You posted re the change from your school being selective then changing to non selective... That's the 11 plus...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:07:32 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4921 on: June 02, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »
I have to question that post. I can't believe that illiterate students were taught in the same classes as the brightest students in any comprehensive school. The comprehensive my children attended had streaming.

When did they stream?  Pre-entry?  Day 1?  You have to be able to test or judge a child's ability before you can stream.

There was only one Latin class (per year) in my school, so by definition they had to be lumped together until such times as those who were not going to make the cut could be counselled out to try something else.

Latin was not mandatory.  It was an elective option.  It is very similar your story which kicked this whole shebang off.  Someone who fancied doing a bit of book-keeping without being able to perform the basics.

As an aside, we had one girl in our year who elected to do Ancient Greek.   The school was able to accommodate her choice because her father was the school teacher for Ancient Greek.  As far as I know, she passed her exam.  I do know that she entered Edinburgh University the year that I did, but I lost touch with her after that.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4922 on: June 02, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
When did they stream?  Pre-entry?  Day 1?  You have to be able to test or judge a child's ability before you can stream.

There was only one Latin class (per year) in my school, so by definition they had to be lumped together until such times as those who were not going to make the cut could be counselled out to try something else.

Latin was not mandatory.  It was an elective option.  It is very similar your story which kicked this whole shebang off.  Someone who fancied doing a bit of book-keeping without being able to perform the basics.

As an aside, we had one girl in our year who elected to do Ancient Greek.   The school was able to accommodate her choice because her father was the school teacher for Ancient Greek.  As far as I know, she passed her exam.  I do know that she entered Edinburgh University the year that I did, but I lost touch with her after that.
You say there was only one Latin class.... So everyone was in it... How big was the class...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:08:05 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4923 on: June 02, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
My offer was three grade Es for a course that now requires three As.... Hardly a, sign of education dumbing down..
You posted re the change from your school being selective then changing to non selective... That's the 11 plus... You can't wriggle out if your, appalling statements

Do all students get the same offers these days? Offers used to be made on an individual basis. One student could get an unconditional offer and another one could be asked to get 3 A's for the same course.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4924 on: June 02, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
Do all students get the same offers these days? Offers used to be made on an individual basis. One student could get an unconditional offer and another one could be asked to get 3 A's for the same course.

There are basic guidelines... You don't apply for medicine unless you expect 3As... In my day it, was 3 Cs..
Education has not been dumbed down by non selection

Offline Erngath

« Reply #4925 on: June 02, 2019, 11:48:11 AM »

Before any child begins Comprehensive they have all been taught together at Primary school.
There they will be taught in groups of children with the same academic ability.
Streaming exists in Primary schools.
Sometimes it was possible to have three different groups of children and perhaps one or two individual children who required extra learning support.
And perhaps one or two very academic children who required extra input!
The High schools receive very detailed reports about each child and there will be comunication between both schools and teachers.
Primary children also spend several days at High School while still in Primary seven.
The High schools will be very aware from day one of each child's individual ablity.
There is no "dumbing down" for the more academic child but there is every possibility that those who would have been cast aside by the old system have every opportunity to progress.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:52:28 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4926 on: June 02, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
I’m pretty certain that if Davel or I rubbished a cite we requested without providing any counter argument we would be reprimanded.
Get better then.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4927 on: June 02, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »
You say there was only one Latin class.... So everyone was in it... How big was the class... Sounds like more rubbish

Kindly read my posts before churning this guff out.

One class PER YEAR.

And Latin was an elective that most students avoided.

Maths was mandatory, therefore multiple classes PER YEAR.  And streamed in my time, presumably base on 11+ results.
What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4928 on: June 02, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »
Did you assess sils claim that my cite was meaningless ...if not... Why not
You just kept on debating, I wasn't in the mood to stop it.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4929 on: June 02, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
Kindly read my posts before churning this guff out.

One class PER YEAR.

And Latin was an elective that most students avoided.

Maths was mandatory, therefore multiple classes PER YEAR.  And streamed in my time, presumably base on 11+ results.

I read your post and understand it
So one class per year... How many students  in the year
One hundred... So one class of one hundred...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:09:41 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4930 on: June 02, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
Before any child begins Comprehensive they have all been taught together at Primary school.
There they will be taught in groups of children with the same academic ability.
Streaming exists in Primary schools.
Sometimes it was possible to have three different groups of children and perhaps one or two individual children who required extra learning support.
And perhaps one or two very academic children who required extra input!
The High schools receive very detailed reports about each child and there will be comunication between both schools and teachers.
Primary children also spend several days at High School while still in Primary seven.
The High schools will be very aware from day one of each child's individual ablity.
There is no "dumbing down" for the more academic child but there is every possibility that those who would have been cast aside by the old system have every opportunity to progress.

I have no idea what the current primary system is like, so i'm not going to debate that.

My own experience at primary school was no streaming.  Classes simply weren't big enough to support such a notion.

I remember one occasion when the teacher hoiked myself and one other boy up to the front of the class to have a long-division race on the blackboard.

My parents were working class with little formal education.  We were never well-off, but we never went short.

My opponent came from a very large family that could only be described as dirt poor.  He would often turn up dressed like a Charles Dickens ragamuffin.  I don't know whether he got enough to eat.

He struggled academically, quite possibly due to his adverse family situation.

The long-division race began.  I won, but only by a nose.

The teacher must have twigged that though this boy struggled with other areas of his schooling, he had a natural affinity for long division, of all things.  She had given him his chance to shine.
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4931 on: June 02, 2019, 12:23:50 PM »
I read your post and understand it
So one class per year... How many students  in the year
One hundred... So one class of one hundred...

Each year the intake was around 200 new students, but what has that got to do with the price of chips?

Do you understand words like elective, optional and mandatory?  If so, why are you churning out dross?

My Latin class was perhaps 25 to 30 pupils.  It was still the only one for my year.

How many times?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:10:03 PM by Angelo222 »
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4932 on: June 02, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4933 on: June 02, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
There are basic guidelines... You don't apply for medicine unless you expect 3As... In my day it, was 3 Cs..
Education has not been dumbed down by non selection

On one reading of that 3 A's today could be seen as equal to 3 C's in your time. In other words A Levels are not as valuable as they used to be.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4934 on: June 02, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
Davel is proposing that everyone in my year was forced to take Latin, when I have repeatedly made clear this was not the case.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:11:02 PM by Angelo222 »
What's up, old man?