Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400476 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #4965 on: June 02, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »
Oooh!   (&^&

You might like to amend your post.

Mind you, as you repeatedly claim that your opinion is valueless, maybe not?

when did your school cease selection..the 11 plus was going strong all through the sixties and early seventies as I understand...you are not in your fifties

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4966 on: June 02, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »
That is actually a sign of education dumbing down.

in your opinion...how would you prove your statement of fact

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4967 on: June 02, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »

Comprehensives were seriously better than Secondary Moderns.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4968 on: June 02, 2019, 03:02:42 PM »
in your opinion...how would you prove your statement of fact

Grades measure knowledge.

Higher level courses require a certain level of knowledge which is fairly constant.

If Cs were required at a certain period and As are required now, then it follows that a C in the past is equivalent to an A now. It is as easy to get an A now as a C then.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4969 on: June 02, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »

Not really serving the same purpose.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4970 on: June 02, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
Not really serving the same purpose.

You could take GSEs at a London Comprehensive.  No such thing was available at a Middlesex Secondary Modern.  I know because I went to both.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4971 on: June 02, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »

I have a very good idea of the Primary Education System from the 1950's to the present and there is no doubt in my mind that it is vastly superior now.

I think it's swings and roundabouts. I found 'times tables', reading, grammar and punctuation very useful in my life and they were a big part of my primary education. Spellcheckers are no help when you have to decide whether to write there or their, witch or which or where to put an apostrophe.

On the other hand children are more confident and imaginative these days.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4972 on: June 02, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
You could take GSEs at a London Comprehensive.  No such thing was available at a Middlesex Secondary Modern.  I know because I went to both.

Not disagreeing. The old education system had Grammar Schools for academic subjects and Secondary Mods aimed at work related subjects, all covered by modern comprehensives.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4973 on: June 02, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »

I am not sure where you were raised, so I cannot comment on your personal experiences, nor would I if I could.

I know that in my day, there was an 11+.  That the brightest kids were challenged academically.  And that those not so bright went to schools where the curriculum was tailored appropriately to them.

It was a high quality school system, possibly even the finest in the world.

Then comprehensives tried desperately to fit square pegs into round holes.  I am not convinced the system has ever recovered.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4974 on: June 02, 2019, 03:22:05 PM »
I am not sure where you were raised, so I cannot comment on your personal experiences, nor would I if I could.

I know that in my day, there was an 11+.  That the brightest kids were challenged academically.  And that those not so bright went to schools where the curriculum was tailored appropriately to them.

It was a high quality school system, possibly even the finest in the world.

Then comprehensives tried desperately to fit square pegs into round holes.  I am not convinced the system has ever recovered.

The 11 plus was abolished in 76....were you still at school then.... I actually  think the present system is better... We are still producing just as many if not more professionals

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4975 on: June 02, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
That is actually a sign of education dumbing down.

As, in my opinion, is replacing timed exams with assessments. I think one of the componenrs of intelligence is speed.Slow thinkers may get there in the end, but they will always arrive after those who think quickly.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4976 on: June 02, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
The 11 plus was abolished in 76....were you still at school then.... I actually  think the present system is better... We are still producing just as many if not more professionals

Can you provide a cite for that?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4977 on: June 02, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
As, in my opinion, is replacing timed exams with assessments. I think one of the componenrs of intelligence is speed.Slow thinkers may get there in the end, but they will always arrive after those who think quickly.

I think speed of thought is key to some professions but not all.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4978 on: June 02, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
Grades measure knowledge.

Higher level courses require a certain level of knowledge which is fairly constant.

If Cs were required at a certain period and As are required now, then it follows that a C in the past is equivalent to an A now. It is as easy to get an A now as a C then.

Or it could be educational standards have risen and more students are acheiving higher grades...

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4979 on: June 02, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »

I was at school when it went comprehensive.

I sat an 11+.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:28:31 PM by Angelo222 »
What's up, old man?