Author Topic: Kimberley Thomson — Luke’s ‘other’ girlfriend.......  (Read 13223 times)

Offline Mr Apples

Stumbled upon quite a few historical articles last night which might be of interest to the boardmembers on this site. The first one features an interview by Kimberley Thomson circa ‘06. Now, I presume most participants on this forum are aware of KT as LM’s ‘other girlfriend’ in the case, but wondered how many knew that Luke was meant to have been meeting her soon after June 30th, 2003? Was this a separate arrangement from the holiday that was cancelled  — the same place where he originally met Kimberley the previous year? Now, unless someone can prove otherwise, I can’t question the veracity of the contents of this particular article. Sure, the interview is a tad obtuse, and KT was a bit on the young side to be having a child (at 17), but that doesn’t make her a liar or any less a member of society. And bearing in mind that police could prove, from retrieved telecommunication logs, that LM had made 78 calls to KT between Jan ‘03 & Jun ‘03 (LM allegedly lied about this), as well as the other text messages we all know about. It’s also noteworthy that  the article out states that Judith ran out of court screaming when she heard the KT evidence. What do you take from the article below?

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/I+want+Luke+to+know+that+he+hasn%27t+ruined+my+life%3B+EXCLUSIVE+KILLER%27S...-a0155357337

Oh, also, here’s another very interesting article, featuring one of Jodi’s closest friends in high school at the time. The article highlights that Jodi found it weird the amount of knives Luke had in his bedroom and, possibly more significantly, that Kirsten recollected that Jodi had been ‘a bit quiet’ on the day of 30.06.03. Thoughts?

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JODI+JONES%3A+HER+SOULMATES+My+Luke+has+all+these+knives+in+his...-a0127512558
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:17:45 AM by Mr Apples »

Offline faithlilly

Stumbled upon quite a few historical articles last night which might be of interest to the boardmembers on this site. The first one features an interview by Kimberley Thomson circa ‘06. Now, I presume most participants on this forum are aware of KT as LM’s ‘other girlfriend’ in the case, but wondered how many knew that Luke was meant to have been meeting her that fateful night on June 30th, 2003? Significant? I most definitely think so. Now, unless someone can prove otherwise, I can’t question the veracity of the contents of this particular article. Sure, the interview is a tad obtuse, and KT was a bit on the young side to be having a child (at 17), but that doesn’t make her a liar or any less a member of society. And bearing in mind that police could prove, from retrieved telecommunication logs, that LM had made 78 calls to KT between Jan ‘03 & Jun ‘03 (LM allegedly lied about this), as well as the other text messages we all know about. There’s an article out there which said that Judith ran out of court screaming when she heard the KT evidence (can’t find the link at the moment). What do you take from the article below?

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/I+want+Luke+to+know+that+he+hasn%27t+ruined+my+life%3B+EXCLUSIVE+KILLER%27S...-a0155357337

Oh, also, here’s another very interesting article, featuring one of Jodi’s closest friends in high school at the time. The article highlights that Jodi found it weird the amount of knives Luke had in his bedroom and, possibly more significantly, that Kirsten recollected that Jodi had been ‘a bit quiet’ on the day (30.06.03). Thoughts?

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JODI+JONES%3A+HER+SOULMATES+My+Luke+has+all+these+knives+in+his...-a0127512558

Do you mean this sentence Mr Apples?

‘ If Luke had kept that visit to me would I have been dead now? Would he have still killed Jodi? Would we still both be alive? I don't know. ’

I don’t think KT was referring to the 30th but a visit that had been arranged to the town where she lived by Luke and his family which,  I believe, had been cancelled. I also believe Luke and Jodi were  supposed to have a birthday sleepover at a friend’s house that weekend instead.

As to Jodi’s friend’s interview, it says that the Sunday Mail was with Kirsten when  the guilty verdict came through. To me this suggests that an arrangement had been made before hand for an exclusive, paid for interview and the Sunday Mail were protecting their investment.

Was she quoted accurately by the journalist? Were things ‘spiced up’ to add interest?  Who knows but I have heard time and again individuals complaining about being misquoted in the press.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Nicholas

Re: Kimberley Thomson — Luke’s ‘other’ girlfriend.......
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 01:23:24 AM »
Stumbled upon quite a few historical articles last night which might be of interest to the boardmembers on this site. The first one features an interview by Kimberley Thomson circa ‘06. Now, I presume most participants on this forum are aware of KT as LM’s ‘other girlfriend’ in the case, but wondered how many knew that Luke was meant to have been meeting her soon after June 30th, 2003? Was this a separate arrangement from the holiday that was cancelled  — the same place where he originally met Kimberley the previous year? Now, unless someone can prove otherwise, I can’t question the veracity of the contents of this particular article. Sure, the interview is a tad obtuse, and KT was a bit on the young side to be having a child (at 17), but that doesn’t make her a liar or any less a member of society. And bearing in mind that police could prove, from retrieved telecommunication logs, that LM had made 78 calls to KT between Jan ‘03 & Jun ‘03 (LM allegedly lied about this), as well as the other text messages we all know about. It’s also noteworthy that  the article out states that Judith ran out of court screaming when she heard the KT evidence. What do you take from the article below?

Oh, also, here’s another very interesting article, featuring one of Jodi’s closest friends in high school at the time. The article highlights that Jodi found it weird the amount of knives Luke had in his bedroom and, possibly more significantly, that Kirsten recollected that Jodi had been ‘a bit quiet’ on the day of 30.06.03. Thoughts?

'Jodi thought Luke's mum was as mad as a hatter and said she knew Corinne was smoking a lot of cannabis 

She also drank a lot of alcohol - something Sandra Lean also commented on
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 01:26:47 AM »
‘But only weeks into the relationship, Jodi became worried about Mitchell's close friendship with Laura Wightman, a girl he would later take to her graveside.

Kirsten said: 'Laura was with Luke a lot and once Jodi heard that he might have been cheating on her but I think she spoke to him and they sorted it out.'
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 01:27:43 AM »

There was also another girl called Kim

Offline Mr Apples

Do you mean this sentence Mr Apples?

‘ If Luke had kept that visit to me would I have been dead now? Would he have still killed Jodi? Would we still both be alive? I don't know. ’

I don’t think KT was referring to the 30th but a visit that had been arranged to the town where she lived by Luke and his family which,  I believe, had been cancelled. I also believe Luke and Jodi were  supposed to have a birthday sleepover at a friend’s house that weekend instead.

As to Jodi’s friend’s interview, it says that the Sunday Mail was with Kirsten when  the guilty verdict came through. To me this suggests that an arrangement had been made before hand for an exclusive, paid for interview and the Sunday Mail were protecting their investment.

Was she quoted accurately by the journalist? Were things ‘spiced up’ to add interest?  Who knows but I have heard time and again individuals complaining about being misquoted in the press.

Apologies, faithlilly. I suffered a bit of momentary ambiguity when reading the article initially. I also read another article which clearly stated that Luke was meant to have been meeting with KT on the night of the 30.06.03 (still trying to find it; will post it if I can get it online again). I have altered my subject heading accordingly and some of the body of my opening post. Some of these articles are poorly written — or maybe I’m just tired and need to call it a night. Anyway, discuss away .......

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 01:30:59 AM »
Why doesn’t Sandra Lean mention this ⬇️

Kirsten's mum Carol said: 'Jodi's mum phoned the night she went missing to ask if Jodi was at our house.

'We both knew then something was wrong. Next day when we heard a body had been found I just knew it was Jodi.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 09:44:10 AM »
There was also another girl called Kim

A FORMER girlfriend of Luke Mitchell has told how he held a knife to her throat and threatened: "Dont move . . . or Ill gut you."
Just months before he stabbed Jodi Jones to death, Mitchell grabbed the girl and pressed his prized Swiss Army knife against the frightened 14-year-olds neck.

The terrifying incident was just one example of Mitchells aggressive and unpredictable behaviour which disturbed his friends.

The pretty 14-year-old, who dated Mitchell for about five months in 2003, told how the teenage killer pounced on her in a community hall in the Dalkeith area.

The girl - who asked to remain anonymous - was walking alone through the hall, where the pair attended a youth club together, when he grabbed her from behind. He held the knife to her throat as he dragged her into a side room.

"I didnt know if he was joking around or not to begin with," she said. "He said: Dont move or Ill gut you. At first I thought he was just mucking about, but then I started to feel threatened.

"I was sore round my neck, it was bright red afterwards. He had grabbed me round the neck with his arm and held the knife at my throat, saying he was going to cut me and stuff like that.

"I was nipping his arm to get him off me and after a couple of minutes he let me go. I went outside and just tried to ignore him, but then he came out as if it was all a laugh and said sorry.

"There was no reason for him to do it. He just pulled the knife from his pocket and grabbed me. I thought it was really strange."

Soon after the incident, in May, 2003, the girl ended the fledgling relationship - just a month before Mitchell killed Jodi.

She broke things off after increasingly seeing a darker side to his personality. The final straw came when a friend told her Mitchell was seeing another girl - who she is now sure was Jodi.

It now appears Mitchell was seeing at least three different girls at the same time.
The murder trial jury heard that the teenage killer had also been seeing Kim Thomson, a 15-year-old from Kenmore, Perthshire, who looked strikingly like Jodi.

Mitchell had stayed in touch with Kim, who considered him as her boyfriend, after meeting her on holiday in the summer of 2002.

The ex-girlfriend who Mitchell threatened with a knife told the Evening News she had initially found him charming, attractive and "basically a nice bloke".

The pair were both 14 and went to the same youth club.

"When I first saw him, everybody in the room was chatting and we started talking - asking whats your name? and that sort of thing," she said.

"We got each others phone numbers and started texting each other quite a lot. He was good-looking and I liked talking to him. I thought he was really nice."

The teenager followed the same goth-style fashion as Mitchell at the time, but shrugged it off as a fad and changed her image as she got older. She said they had got on well for a while, but then things had started to change.

"
He sometimes showed a side that wasnt him. He was quite aggressive to me and to other people," she added.

"He was really bad-tempered and he was totally unpredictable. He didnt want to be told what to do. I knew he carried weapons with him and he had a Swiss Army knife. I did wonder why he had it, but I never questioned him at all."

The ex-girlfriend said shed had little contact with Mitchell since they broke up, but that he had threatened her friends when he saw them in the street.

She added: "When I heard he was a suspect I knew he must have been going out with Jodi when he was seeing me.

"I was really upset when I heard what he was supposed to have done.

"At first, I never thought he could have done it. But, as all the stuff started to come together, I started to think it was possible, that he could do this, because of the way he acted and what hed done to me."

The full article contains 759 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.
Last Updated: 21 January 2005 2:52 PM
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:17:38 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 09:45:07 AM »
‘But only weeks into the relationship, Jodi became worried about Mitchell's close friendship with Laura Wightman, a girl he would later take to her graveside.

Kirsten said: 'Laura was with Luke a lot and once Jodi heard that he might have been cheating on her but I think she spoke to him and they sorted it out.'

Jodi
Laura
Kim T
Kim
Gemma

Luke Mitchell stated
What happened to Jodi was so ironic because the Thursday before she died we were all talking about what records we would want played at our funeral.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:47:39 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:50 AM »
'Jodi thought Luke's mum was as mad as a hatter and said she knew Corinne was smoking a lot of cannabis 

She also drank a lot of alcohol - something Sandra Lean also commented on

Does Sandra Lean mention Corinne Mitchell’s potential addiction to cannabis in her book or does she only refer to the teenagers?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 02:39:48 PM »
What Sandra Lean won’t tell your ⬇️

’Luke Mitchell lied to police about his affair with a lookalike of murdered 14-year-old Jodi Jones, appeal judges heard.

He did not want officers to know he had spent three hours on the phone to Kimberley Thomson in Kenmore, Perthshire, immediately after an evening of sex with Jodi, said advocate depute John Beckett QC, for the Crown.

Although it might be speculation, Kimberley could have been the reason for a fight with Jodi, Mr Beckett told the judges at the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh.

Mitchell, 19, is trying to overturn his conviction for the killing in Dalkeith, West Lothian, in June 2003.

The jury at his trial in 2004 heard Mitchell was planning to visit Kenmore during the school summer holidays, days after Jodi's death in June 2003.

The trial also heard neither girl seemed to know about the other.

Mr Beckett told the appeal judges: "It offers a possible explanation for conflict with Jodi at the time. "If he was going to disappear to Kenmore to visit a girl Jodi didn't know anything about, the potential for conflict was there."

The judges were informed Mitchell told police investigating the murder he had not spoken to Kimberley since January 2003, but records showed 79 calls between then and the end of June.

There was also a Valentine's Day visit.

Just two days before her murder, Jodi left Mitchell's house, by taxi, about 10pm. After that there was a series of long telephone calls, totalling more than three hours.

Mr Beckett said it was an example of how Mitchell was prepared to lie, even in the face of known evidence.

Earlier, the court heard the fact Mitchell led members of Jodi's family to where her body was found was "a cornerstone" of the case against him.

The QC said his story about finding Jodi was contradicted by the girl's gran, Alice Walker, Jodi's sister, Janine, and Janine's fiance, Steven Kelly.

Mr Beckett also claimed Mitchell had later lied six times when questioned by police about the find.

The hearing continues.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/12799875.judges-told-mitchell-lied-about-affair/

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:06:21 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Mr Apples

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
What Sandra Lean won’t tell your ⬇️

’Luke Mitchell lied to police about his affair with a lookalike of murdered 14-year-old Jodi Jones, appeal judges heard.

He did not want officers to know he had spent three hours on the phone to Kimberley Thomson in Kenmore, Perthshire, immediately after an evening of sex with Jodi, said advocate depute John Beckett QC, for the Crown.

Although it might be speculation, Kimberley could have been the reason for a fight with Jodi, Mr Beckett told the judges at the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh.

Mitchell, 19, is trying to overturn his conviction for the killing in Dalkeith, West Lothian, in June 2003.

The jury at his trial in 2004 heard Mitchell was planning to visit Kenmore during the school summer holidays, days after Jodi's death in June 2003.

The trial also heard neither girl seemed to know about the other.

Mr Beckett told the appeal judges: "It offers a possible explanation for conflict with Jodi at the time. "If he was going to disappear to Kenmore to visit a girl Jodi didn't know anything about, the potential for conflict was there."

The judges were informed Mitchell told police investigating the murder he had not spoken to Kimberley since January 2003, but records showed 79 calls between then and the end of June.

There was also a Valentine's Day visit.

Just two days before her murder, Jodi left Mitchell's house, by taxi, about 10pm. After that there was a series of long telephone calls, totalling more than three hours.

Mr Beckett said it was an example of how Mitchell was prepared to lie, even in the face of known evidence.

Earlier, the court heard the fact Mitchell led members of Jodi's family to where her body was found was "a cornerstone" of the case against him.

The QC said his story about finding Jodi was contradicted by the girl's gran, Alice Walker, Jodi's sister, Janine, and Janine's fiance, Steven Kelly.

Mr Beckett also claimed Mitchell had later lied six times when questioned by police about the find.

The hearing continues.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/12799875.judges-told-mitchell-lied-about-affair/

While it is unfair to compare a 14-year-old’s emotional and physical involvement in intimate relationships to that of an adult’s (I’m sure some of us two-timed or were two-timed at least once back when we were teenagers), it is worth noting that is was proved that LM had lied about his contact with KT (the logs detailing his phone calls to her between jan ‘03 and jun ‘03 being a prime example). Per se, the lying about their relationship may not have been the most crucial of evidence, but when combined with all of the other evidence it does become important.

Offline Mr Apples

It’s hard to answer your questions, as we’ll never know. Each journo obviously differs in their approach, and some are more dignified, accurate, truthful, objective and better at writing than others (some, as you know, put their own bias & spin on it, as well as writing inadequately and inaccurately). However, I don’t see any alarm bells in the Kirsten Ford article. The only thing iffy I can think of is Kirsten’s use of the word ‘disturbed’ in regards to Jodi’s opinion of Luke’s knife collection; Jodi said she found it ‘weird’, not ‘disturbing’.

Offline faithlilly

It’s hard to answer your questions, as we’ll never know. Each journo obviously differs in their approach, and some are more dignified, accurate, truthful, objective and better at writing than others (some, as you know, put their own bias & spin on it, as well as writing inadequately and inaccurately). However, I don’t see any alarm bells in the Kirsten Ford article. The only thing iffy I can think of is Kirsten’s use of the word ‘disturbed’ in regards to Jodi’s opinion of Luke’s knife collection; Jodi said she found it ‘weird’, not ‘disturbing’.

I think in an interview such as this where someone has been convicted of such a horrendous crime there is a danger that recollections are coloured by what has just occurred....of attaching a sinister premise to an action or event that  you wouldn’t have before the verdict and, unfortunately, no matter what approach the journalist took, with Luke’s conviction, the interview was never going to be balanced.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Apples

I think in an interview such as this where someone has been convicted of such a horrendous crime there is a danger that recollections are coloured by what has just occurred....of attaching a sinister premise to an action or event that  you wouldn’t have before the verdict and, unfortunately, no matter what approach the journalist took, with Luke’s conviction, the interview was never going to be balanced.

Yeah, fair enough. I agree, to an extent. I think the comments regarding Jodi being ‘a bit quiet’ that day were probably influenced by what she experienced at court and her exposure to the case in its entirety at the time. Believe the same is probably true for the ‘disturbed’ comment.

Btw, faithlilly, what is the one single, solitary piece of evidence from this case that makes you doubt Luke? I’ve read some posts of yours that put forward a case for Luke’s innocence, but is there one piece that makes you doubt this stance, doubt his innocence?