Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 111089 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #765 on: May 18, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
And what progress on these 700 issues has been made in the previous YEARS... why should we expect progress now

Which of the 700+ agreements and which EU "laws" (which the UK was largely involved in shaping) would you disagree with?

Offline Carana

« Reply #766 on: May 18, 2020, 12:59:21 PM »
Cameron was bounced into a referendum by the Eurosceptics in his party. It would have mad3 no difference what theEU had offered.

That seems to be a key issue. IMO, Cameron is probably a nice enough chap, but naive. He wanted to get the far right out of his hair once and for all (which I find understandable) - but his idea of how to do that backfired. Bigly.

If Corbyn had been in power, IMO, he'd have been concentrating on following his ideological mindset, renationalising industries and all the rest of it, but I'm not convinced that he could have steered the UK out of the 2008 crisis.

IMO, it's a fine-balancing act, based on advancing both the economy and an affordable social security system for those in need.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #767 on: May 18, 2020, 01:20:27 PM »
Which of the 700+ agreements and which EU "laws" (which the UK was largely involved in shaping) would you disagree with?

The first thing I would disagree with is the EUs wish to  continue to plunder UK fish stocks by maintaining their access to UK waters

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #768 on: May 18, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
Cameron was bounced into a referendum by the Eurosceptics in his party. It would have mad3 no difference what theEU had offered.

Cameron was bounced into a referendum because of the way he was treated by the EU when he asked for concessions important to the UK

Offline Carana

« Reply #769 on: May 18, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
I know people on here are divided concerning which party they would have wished to win the election. That's democracy, in theory.

Emotive slogans (on either side) are just that, encouraging knee-jerk reactions. Encouraging people to reflect on facts and clear implications of what was at stake would have been far more democratic.

However, from my perspective on the current crises, the real issues are a) what went wrong? b) how to move forward?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #770 on: May 18, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »

And the people voted... Power to the people

Offline Carana

« Reply #771 on: May 18, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »
Cameron was bounced into a referendum because of the way he was treated by the EU when he asked for concessions important to the UK

Could you provide some links to reliable sites as to which those were and, if ever, any action taken to respond / or refuse his suggestions?

Offline Carana

« Reply #772 on: May 18, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »
The first thing I would disagree with is the EUs wish to  continue to plunder UK fish stocks by maintaining their access to UK waters

"Plunder"?

Did you ever read the fishing thread on here?

Offline Carana

« Reply #773 on: May 18, 2020, 01:28:36 PM »
And the people voted... Power to the people

Based on what? £350m per week to the NHS?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:33:05 PM by Carana »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #774 on: May 18, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »
Could you provide some links to reliable sites as to which those were and, if ever, any action taken to respond / or refuse his suggestions?

There was avery good documentary which followed Cameron to the EU. it featured actual filming of the trip. Cameron was made to wait till midnight on some occasions to speak. It showed him being treated pretty disgracefully.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #775 on: May 18, 2020, 01:53:07 PM »
Based on what? £350m per week to the NHS?

I think i know what the main issue was and so do you....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #776 on: May 18, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »
"Plunder"?

Did you ever read the fishing thread on here?

no but perhaps Ill have a look. do you see the thread here as the definitive authority

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #777 on: May 18, 2020, 02:50:44 PM »
There was avery good documentary which followed Cameron to the EU. it featured actual filming of the trip. Cameron was made to wait till midnight on some occasions to speak. It showed him being treated pretty disgracefully.

A responsible statesman rises above pretty slights.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #779 on: May 18, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »
I don't want to live in a society in which people can't have access to health care beyond their means, any more than I would want to have to finance "parents" who claim to have uncontrollable "broody" instincts without having a clue as to how they'll actually support them beyond lucrative tax-payer subsidies. 

Some are truly worthy of assistance, but others try to cheat the system. Yet others seek offshore tax havens.

There has to be a middle road in this.