Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 110448 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #735 on: May 18, 2020, 09:53:58 AM »
Reading your comments (on both sides) reaffirms my belief in centrist politics...  8(0(*

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #736 on: May 18, 2020, 10:14:32 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8315411/Department-Educations-chief-scientific-adviser-casts-doubt-June-1-date-schools-reopening.html

From the comments.

‘School staff having access to testing if they're showing symptoms??? If you're showing symptoms it's probably too late & you could potentially die. As a teacher I have been in school every day since lockdown, not bothered about Easter or bank holidays & haven't whinged which will surprise the anti teacher brigade; so long as we are doing what we can to help other key workers & are insuring the vulnerable children are safe. I also fall into the high risk category for personal health reasons but put this aside & have been sensible whilst in school. But reopening with insufficient room to split children into groups of 15 & insufficient number of staff to manage each group & insufficient resources as they can't share etc is total & utter madness. Therefore for the first time in 33 years of teaching I will be following union advice & will have no part in reopening.‘

If this teacher falls into the high risk catagory I feel sure she wont be expected to return to work...shes poorly informed if she doesnt realise this.
Every shopworker..policeman .carer..healthworker is taking a risk by working. If you are not high risk then dont expect these people to work if you are not prepared to.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #737 on: May 18, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
Reading your comments (on both sides) reaffirms my belief in centrist politics...  8(0(*

i think many peopel believe in centrists politics but there wasnt a centrist party to vote for and teh conservatives were probably teh closest to it.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #738 on: May 18, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
i think many peopel believe in centrists politics but there wasnt a centrist party to vote for and teh conservatives were probably teh closest to it.

This government is one of the most rightwing, even for a Conservative government, in recent years.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #739 on: May 18, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
This government is one of the most rightwing, even for a Conservative government, in recent years.

i dont see that but certainly Corbyn was about as left as UK politics has ever been and thats why he was so soundly rejected

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #740 on: May 18, 2020, 10:36:54 AM »
It would appear that many Academies are eager to go back. I wonder why ?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/12/academy-schools-cash-cow-business

Profit before people every time.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #741 on: May 18, 2020, 10:39:30 AM »
i dont see that but certainly Corbyn was about as left as UK politics has ever been and thats why he was so soundly rejected

In 2017 Corbyn was within 2500 votes of forming a government. The difference between 2017 and 2019, Brexit.

Offline Carana

« Reply #742 on: May 18, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
If this teacher falls into the high risk catagory I feel sure she wont be expected to return to work...shes poorly informed if she doesnt realise this.
Every shopworker..policeman .carer..healthworker is taking a risk by working. If you are not high risk then dont expect these people to work if you are not prepared to.

If the government could just ramp up TTI/Q (testing, tracing and isolating / quarantining) and have clear guidelines for social distancing and hygiene for the "new normal" in group settings (work, transport, schools, places of worship or other mass gatherings and even samll social gatherings...), the economy could gradually back on track much faster, IMO.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #743 on: May 18, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
In 2017 Corbyn was within 2500 votes of forming a government. The difference between 2017 and 2019, Brexit.

i think 2017 was a wake up call to the Uk public....and by 2019 voters understood more what acrackpot Corbyn was

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #744 on: May 18, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »
If the government could just ramp up TTI/Q (testing, tracing and isolating / quarantining) and have clear guidelines for social distancing and hygiene for the "new normal" in group settings (work, transport, schools, places of worship or other mass gatherings and even samll social gatherings...), the economy could gradually back on track much faster, IMO.

It would appear that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. According to the Guardian, just hours after Gove gave assurances that contact tracers were in place to deal with TTI, the tracers have been told that recruitment is on hold while the government considers another tracing app.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #745 on: May 18, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
i think 2017 was a wake up call to the Uk public....and by 2019 voters understood more what acrackpot Corbyn was

By 2017 Corbyn had been leader of the Labour Party for 2 years and had suffered every piece of propaganda that the rightwing press, and the PLP, had to throw at him.....indeed on the day before the election the Mail carried a 13 page hatchet job on Corbyn yet the people still voted for him in their millions. 

If Corbyn had backed Brexit he would have been home and dry. Ironically it was figures such as Starmer and Thornberry that pushed for a second referendum.

Offline Carana

« Reply #746 on: May 18, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »

I expect that this will offend all of you of whichever persuasion (soz).

I have family and friends who were originally in favour of the "Rule Britannia" brexitmania rhetoric, nearly all of whom would have later voted differently if the likely alternative hadn't been... Corbyn.

IMO, there should have been clear and factual information on the short- and long-term implications of Brexit (cf Ireland), as opposed to unfounded political slogans (seemingly developed by powerful lobbies) stirring up irrational fears and a false sense of exceptionalism.

Offline Carana

« Reply #747 on: May 18, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
By 2017 Corbyn had been leader of the Labour Party for 2 years and had suffered every piece of propaganda that the rightwing press, and the PLP, had to throw at him.....indeed on the day before the election the Mail carried a 13 page hatchet job on Corbyn yet the people still voted for him in their millions. 

If Corbyn had backed Brexit he would have been home and dry. Ironically it was figures such as Starmer and Thornberry that pushed for a second referendum.

IMO, on the Labour side, Starmer might have been more pragmatic than ideological (as opposed to Corbyn), and on the Conservative side, perhaps Anny Soubry might have been more  credible than Bojo.

Unfortunately, the LibDems were a disorganised mishmash of stray waifs.

Offline Carana

« Reply #748 on: May 18, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
It would appear that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. According to the Guardian, just hours after Gove gave assurances that contact tracers were in place to deal with TTI, the tracers have been told that recruitment is on hold while the government considers another tracing app.

I saw that. I'm trying to work out what the issues are. Data protection is an issue, but so is functionality. Bluetooth switches off, normally.

A different issue is that the Civil Service is somehow going to have to also recruit and train ~50k people to deal with customs compliance due to what is looking increasingly like a no-deal or bare-bones Brexit...

The UK only has 6 weeks left to request an extension. IMO, even the Raving Loony Party would have asked for one.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #749 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:16 AM »

IMO, on the Labour side, Starmer might have been more pragmatic than ideological (as opposed to Corbyn), and on the Conservative side, perhaps Anny Soubry might have been more  credible than Bojo.

Unfortunately, the LibDems were a disorganised mishmash of stray waifs.

Corbyn was being anything but ideological. He is a lifelong eurosceptic but he was the leader of a democratic party and the policy was not his alone to construct,