Author Topic: British Police fly to Kos in hunt for missing Ben Needham.  (Read 5443 times)

Offline misty

Police Fly To Kos In Hunt For Missing Ben Needham

9 May 2016

Ben Needham was 21 months old when he vanished from the Greek island of Kos.

South Yorkshire Police is sending a team of officers to the Greek island of Kos to look for new witnesses in the search for toddler Ben Needham, who went missing nearly 25 years ago.

Ben, from Sheffield, was 21 months old when he vanished on 24 July 1991, after travelling to the island with his mother and grandparents.

Over the years there have been a number of possible sightings and a range of theories about what happened to the youngster, who would now be 26.

Earlier this year, South Yorkshire Police announced that they had received extra funding from the Home Office to help in the search.

Now, the official campaign to find Ben, headed by his mother, Kerry, confirmed that a team of officers will fly to Kos on Tuesday.

In a statement, Help Find Ben Needham said 10 officers were travelling to the island hoping to "find new witnesses as they urge islanders to come forward with any information which might help the case".

Police are expected to give a news conference at the farmhouse from where Ben went missing.

He had been taken to the site, in Irakles, by his grandmother, Christine Needham, to visit his grandfather, who was helping to renovate the run-down building.

Ms Needham said: "We believe someone on Kos does know something - and if they do please come forward. It doesn't matter how insignificant they think it is - if they have information let the police know."

In January last year, South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Billings secured £700,000 of special funding from the Home Office to allow police to commit further resources to the investigation into Ben's disappearance.

This year, a further £450,000 was approved by the Home Secretary.

The Home Office backed a South Yorkshire Police operation in 2012 when land was excavated on Kos, near the farmhouse where Ben was last seen.

No trace of the little boy was found.

In 2014, South Yorkshire Police asked the Home Office for the Special Grant Funding to follow up information the family believed had never been properly investigated.

In May last year, Ben's mother, sister and grandmother travelled to Greece with South Yorkshire Police detectives to make a direct appeal on a Greek television show about missing people.

Police have investigated a number of new lines of inquiry as a result of the programme and the ongoing investigation into the toddler's disappearance.

Detective Inspector Jon Cousins said: "The lives of Ben Needham's family were ripped apart when he disappeared more than 20 years ago and their determination to find him has not diminished.

"They are more desperate than ever to find answers about what happened to him.

"It is likely that someone out there knows what happened to him and we will be appealing to people in Kos who have information to come forward and tell us what they know.

"The force is working closely with the Greek authorities to ensure a number of lines of existing inquiry are explored."

The Operation Ben team can be contacted on 0114 296 3022 or opben.needham@southyorks.pnn.police.uk.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/police-fly-to-kos-in-hunt-for-missing-ben-needham/ar-BBsNI7q?ocid=spartanntp
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:18:06 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

Re: British Police fly to Kos in hunt for missing Ben Needham.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/police-fly-to-kos-in-hunt-for-missing-ben-needham/ar-BBsNI7q?ocid=spartanntp

Thanks for that Misty.

I hope the family get some information which might give them some closure ... it has been a long time just not knowing.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3580580/Team-British-police-fly-Kos-tomorrow-new-1-2m-bid-Ben-Needham-25-years-vanished-family-holiday.html

Great news for the Needhams...or do some think...why spend all this money on one child when there are so many other missing children

Offline sadie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »

Oh, I see that misty beat me to it .... but I think it probably still warrants a seperate thread.

Well done misty !

Mighty quiet atm, almost no sceptics here on the day that it is announced that the police are moving on the Ben Needham case

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »
This is great news for the family, hopefully we will see some progress at last!

Isn't it interesting that a reward of €12,500 is available for information which could lead to the discovery of Ben yet no such reward is on offer for Madeleine?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:00:27 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Benice

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
This is great news for the family, hopefully we will see some progress at last!

Isn't it interesting that a reward of €12,500 is available for information which could lead to the discovery of Ben yet no such reward is on offer for Madeleine?

AFAIK the Met is still offering £20,000 reward for information re Madeleine.

I'm so pleased that our police are investigating Ben's case.     And IMO this would not have happened if the McCann's request to have their daughter's case re-investigated had been turned down. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
AFAIK the Met is still offering £20,000 reward for information re Madeleine.

I'm so pleased that our police are investigating Ben's case.     And IMO this would not have happened if the McCann's request to have their daughter's case re-investigated had been turned down.

The £20,000 reward is on offer by the Met for information which could lead to a conviction or convictions, it is not for finding Madeleine.   I think the Met have their own priorities as evidenced by this reward.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:08:39 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline ChloeR

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
I cannot believe that they are trying to trace someone who called 20 years ago, its ridiculous. Why did noone give a crap about that when it actually happened? I'm so happy for the family but I really do feel this is kinda too little too late. It seems there is only attempts at finding this child because of the fuss about how much attention has been placed on one other missing child.

I don't feel there is much chance of finding Ben after all of this time unless an adult Ben suddenly realises he may be the person on the news and gets a DNA test done or something, I mean, there is no knowing what he might even look like now. Age progressed photos are fine and dandy but when you are working from a baby rather than a child...I can't see it being too accurate. My 3 year old looks nothing like she did a year or so ago, they change so fast at this age :(

Offline John

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »
I cannot believe that they are trying to trace someone who called 20 years ago, its ridiculous. Why did noone give a crap about that when it actually happened? I'm so happy for the family but I really do feel this is kinda too little too late. It seems there is only attempts at finding this child because of the fuss about how much attention has been placed on one other missing child.

I don't feel there is much chance of finding Ben after all of this time unless an adult Ben suddenly realises he may be the person on the news and gets a DNA test done or something, I mean, there is no knowing what he might even look like now. Age progressed photos are fine and dandy but when you are working from a baby rather than a child...I can't see it being too accurate. My 3 year old looks nothing like she did a year or so ago, they change so fast at this age :(

I have to agree with you Chloe, but at the same time we must welcome this belated attempt to solve the mystery.  Just like Madeleine for all we know they both fell down a hole or a well and were never abducted.  There are ample instances of young children falling down holes, fortunately most are discovered before it is too late.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
Is the Sun telling us something we need to know or is it hampering the search foe Ben by criticising the policemen looking for him?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7144255/Kos-cops-go-on-booze-bender.html
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ChloeR

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »
I read on the find ben fb page this morning that Kerry fully supports the officer who0 has been accused of boozing it up and disagrees with him being brought back home. Its a bit of a pisstake that she finally gets some form of help and then this..

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:38 PM »
I read on the find ben fb page this morning that Kerry fully supports the officer who0 has been accused of boozing it up and disagrees with him being brought back home. Its a bit of a pisstake that she finally gets some form of help and then this..

Needham Cops - A bunch of drunken slobs!

It's a startling difference when compared to the common sense antics of both DCI Redwood and DCI Wall in Portugal.  Those cops in Kos are a bloody disgrace, they should all be sacked for bringing the force into disrepute. Unfortunately this sort of behavior is common place within many police establishments these days so they will probably get off with a stern warning.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:24:18 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 10:28:18 PM »
Missing Ben's mother fears inquiry 'in jeopardy' after police drink binge claims.

12 May 2016

The mother of Ben Needham has pleaded with the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police not to permanently recall the officer leading the investigation into the disappearance of her son following reports of a drinking binge on a Greek island.

A barrister representing Kerry Needham and her family has written to the force's temporary chief, Dave Jones, saying a decision to recall Detective Superintendent Matt Fenwick could put the whole inquiry in jeopardy.

The letter states that "Ms Needham trusts the officers involved, believes they are working to the highest standards operationally and professionally and wishes there to be no disruption".

It adds: "To recall their leader is incredibly worrying for Ms Needham."

South Yorkshire Police have confirmed a senior officer has been recalled to the UK following reports that members of the team, which is on the island of Kos investigating Ben's 1991 disappearance, spent eight hours drinking wine and beer.

But the force would not confirm whether the officer recalled was Mr Fenwick.

The letter to Mr Jones, who only took over at South Yorkshire this month following the suspension of chief constable David Crompton in the wake of the Hillsborough inquests, was from barrister Ian Brownhill, who represents the Needham family.

Mr Brownhill said in the letter that Ms Needham "fears the entire investigation is in jeopardy".

He said: "I am instructed to strongly encourage you not to recall DSI Fenwick. Or, if his recall really is necessary, then please make it for the shortest of time possible."

The South Yorkshire Police officers have been dispatched to Kos in a fresh bid to discover what happened to Ben, who was just 21 months old when he went missing on the island in 1991.

Earlier, Ms Needham defended the officers at the centre of the row, telling ITV's Good Morning Britain she is confident they are doing all they can to discover the truth behind her son's disappearance.

She said: "They work so, so hard, putting every ounce of energy into trying to find out what happened to Ben and for this to come out, it could hinder the case.

"I know that without these officers we will not find the answers to Ben. I am so angry about it.

"No-one can understand how much hard work these officers put into this case. It is very, very cruel what has happened."

She told the programme: "Matt Fenwick is an amazing detective; he has been by our side for a few years now and we have never had any problem with his work.

"These police officers, they are human beings at the end of the day. What they choose to do in their own time is their business, not anybody else's.

"It is horrendous. I can't believe what has happened. We work together - the police, the media and myself, we work together as a team. This is just not team work.

"We are supposed to be trying to find the answers to what happened to Ben along with these detectives, and this could just hinder it. And I'm angry this report had to come out, it is just not nice."

South Yorkshire Police are investigating a report that the officers embarked on a drinking session hours after they launched a new appeal.

According to The Sun, by 5pm on Tuesday the officers had gathered for drinks at their hotel before heading to a pizzeria and bars.

The last members of the team to turn in wound up their evening at 1.24am, the paper said.

Earlier this year, South Yorkshire Police said they had received extra funding from the Home Office to help in the search for Ben, from Sheffield, who vanished on July 24 1991.

Mr Fenwick told The Sun on Wednesday evening the team was "desperately" trying to find the youngster.

The officer stressed the team was "working really hard", adding: "We were up at seven this morning and we've got officers still out now (at 8.30pm) interviewing people. What I can say is that no public money was spent on alcohol."

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: "We're absolutely committed to this investigation and require the highest possible standards from all of those involved. The team must now get on with the important task in hand."

She said: " Following concerns raised regarding the behaviour of some of those involved, the senior officer has been recalled to the UK with immediate effect to provide the details of exactly what has happened. An internal investigation will follow."

Mr Fenwick has been involved in a number of high-profile investigations for South Yorkshire Police. He has been the detective leading the inquiry into allegations against Sir Cliff Richard and he was also in charge of the investigation into the the murder of church organist Alan Greaves in Sheffield in 2012.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3585911/Senior-officer-Ben-Needham-probe-recalled-UK-drinking-session.html#ixzz48TmPoIh4
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:33:53 PM by John »