Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 222141 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
Posted by portugalpress on April 05, 2016

PJ chief inspector arrested on suspicion of corruption

A chief inspector described as working “for many years” with the PJ’s drugs squad was taken into custody by his own police force on Tuesday, suspected of corruption, money-laundering and trafficking. Also detained was a former PJ coordinator, now retired, and suspected of similar offences. Sábado broke the news, suggesting more arrests would follow with the focus on a massive network smuggling “large quantities of cocaine”.

In fact, Sábado named the chief inspector as Ricardo Macedo, and his former coordinator as Dias Santos.

The investigation dubbed Operation Achilles has taken years to unravel because of its complexity.

According to papers picking up on the details, the men are thought to have “received bribes from important trafficking networks to supply privileged information and create diversion tactics, within the PJ, that allowed large quantities of cocaine to be smuggled into Portugal over the years without coming to the notice of police forces”.

Tuesday’s operation was led by the PJ’s UNCC (national anti-corruption unit), in collaboration with the UNCTE (drug squad) and DCIAP (central department of investigation).

As many 15 people are thought to have been arrested on various charges, all connected to both corruption and trafficking.

Ages of those arrested range from 39 to 61, writes national tabloid Correio da Manhã.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

- See more at: http://portugalresident.com/pj-chief-inspector-arrested-on-suspicion-of-corruption#sthash.vO08IUxT.EC5CFFKX.dpuf

Congratulations are due to the Portuguese authorities who are making a real and possibly a personally dangerous effort to root out the corruption apparently endemic within some branches of law enforcement.

It may have been a long time coming but it seems throwbacks to pre 25 de Abril mores and attitudes are incompatible with the modern State.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/14/british-mother-disappears-from-algarve-home-with-her-two-childre/

Gerard Couzens
14 APRIL 2016 • 11:33PM
Police in Portugal launched a manhunt after a British mother-of-two disappeared from her Algarve home with her young children.

Christine Davies, 28, vanished on April 4 with daughters Lily Rodwell, 18 months, and three-month-old Ruby while their father Aaron was out running errands.

Cash was also missing from their rented bungalow in Boliqueime near Loule along with the children’s birth certificates and Lily’s passport.

Mr Rodwell, Ms Davies' partner of nearly 15 years, spoke of his concern for his children’s wellbeing on Thursday night as he revealed all his efforts to contact her had failed.
An all-ports warning is thought to have put out for the missing mother, although Mr Rodwell said he had no evidence she had left the country.

She had just started a job as a waitress at a local tapas bar but failed to show up there.

Police have already interviewed the owner as well as twice quizzing 29-year-old Mr Rodwell, who is from Liverpool like his partner.

“I have no doubts Christine has left voluntarily but I’m concerned for her emotional wellbeing and obviously our children," he said.

“She loves them and I’m sure wouldn’t do them any harm but that doesn’t mean they’re not at risk if she’s emotionally not in the right frame of mind.

“I’ve put missing posters in the windows of shops and local businesses in towns across the Algarve. I really want her to contact the authorities so I know the children are OK, even if she doesn’t want to come home.

“I rang her the night before she disappeared asking her to come home early so she could be with the children because I needed help.

“She was supposed to finish about 10pm that night but came back about 7pm.

“I left early the following day to go into Albufeira and run some errands and that was the last time I saw her or heard from her.

“Her mobile’s not working anymore and her email has been disconnected.

“A neighbour has told me she saw a man in a hire car coming to pick up her and helping her load the vehicle up while I was gone.

“The house was in a bit of a mess so it looks like she’s packed in a hurry.

“Lily had an active UK passport which has gone along with Christine’s but the younger one didn’t have one as far as I’m aware and I’ve checked with the British embassy who say no emergency travel document has been drafted.

“I’m beside myself with worry. I can’t sleep at the house anymore. To be honest, I’ve had to check into a hotel because I just can’t stand looking at the walls and the children’s toys that are still on the floor.”

A spokesman for the local GNR police force said: “I can confirm we are investigating the disappearance of a British woman and her two young children.”

A source close to the case said: “Police were contacted by the father of the children about a week after his partner and the kids disappeared.

“He says he left the house early on April 4 and they weren’t there when he returned a couple of hours later.

“Officers are actively searching for them and keeping an open mind on the disappearance, including the possibility it was voluntary and she was helped to leave the property.

“The children’s wellbeing is paramount and police are obviously anxious to track them and the mother down as soon as possible.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline jassi

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
It sounds as if she has probably left him, but didn't bother to tell him.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline misty

« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »
It sounds as if she has probably left him, but didn't bother to tell him.

I think there is a bit more to this one Jassi :(.
BBC radio news reported that the home had been ransacked. Rodwell took a week to report the 3 missing.

Offline jassi

« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »
I think there is a bit more to this one Jassi :(.
BBC radio news reported that the home had been ransacked. Rodwell took a week to report the 3 missing.

True, that aspect id a bit strange. However she seems to have been later  seen at a campsite and reputedly sent him an email. I guess we will need to see what else is reported.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline jassi

Or maybe not -

Offline misty

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »
An update -  http://portugalresident.com/update-british-mum-in-hiding-in-algarve-describes-%E2%80%9Cyears-of-abuse%E2%80%9D#sthash.sORBh5VW.dpuf

Thanks for that, Jassi. At least she is now safe & we are not reading about another tragedy. Let's hope the authorities act in the best interests of mum & children.

Offline misty

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2016, 09:56:47 PM »
This caught my eye tonight.
http://portugalresident.com/confidential-secret-service-documents-from-portugal-%E2%80%9Cappear-inadvertently%E2%80%9D-in-west-africa

It sounds like something out of Monty Python, but news receiving little mention in the popular press today (Thursday) is that confidential reports from Portugal’s SIS secret services, and the PSP and GNR police, have “appeared inadvertently in a local business in West Africa”.

Detection of the leak, as Observador website calls it, has put “national, and consequently international security at risk”.

The documents were in the possession of a “citizen who appeared to be from Eastern Europe”, adds Observador.

This individual - now suspected of having links to an international arms trafficking network that involved Portuguese citizens - approached a West African company “in search of a service” and was asked by an employee of the company for various documents.

Among the paperwork he subsequently provided was “a series of apparently confidential reports”.

While the purported Eastern European then went missing (his identity is “completely unknown”, says Observador), the content of the confidential reports has proved quite shocking.

SIED, Portugal’s strategic defence information service, “was immediately contacted” and agents left Lisbon for Africa to “apprehend the documents and try and understand if they had been, in one form or other, replicated”, explains Observador.

Among the stash were 2011 and 2012 SIS reports on Hell’s Angels activity in Portugal, “tracing links to alleged crimes of drugs and arms trafficking, extortion and pimping”, and including names and addresses of purported members of the biking fraternity, as well as a number of photographs.

There was also a GNR report on “a series of thefts from hotels in the Algarve” - complete with references and photographs of citizens under suspicion - and further police-collated information on robberies from vans and lorries carrying tobacco throughout Portugal.

Included too was a further report from the Information System of the Army. It was one “used during the military exercise dubbed Intelligence”.

“As well as the positions of the military during this exercise, and its objective, there was detailed information like the names and telephone numbers of personnel responsible for training,” writes Observador.

“Some of the documents appear to have been digitalised from original documents, others appear to be digital copies of originals.”

In the same file, there were also “various security manuals on international installations, and a NATO manual on (the military exercise) Intelligence in English”, adds Observador, finally alluding to an “organigram (organisational chart) on an alleged drugs trafficking network that operated on an international level, with all its links”.

This organigram was “written in Portuguese”, says the website.

As bizarre as all this information sounds, it is barely touched on anywhere else in the national press - and according to Observador, three attempts for some kind of clarification from SIED or the office of prime minister António Costa (“to whom SIED reports”) have been stonewalled.

The Attorney General’s office has also failed to reply to questions on whether there is an inquiry now ongoing within the Public Ministry.

Meantime, Observador’s story is being rapidly shared by Internet news services.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »
This caught my eye tonight.
http://portugalresident.com/confidential-secret-service-documents-from-portugal-%E2%80%9Cappear-inadvertently%E2%80%9D-in-west-africa

It sounds like something out of Monty Python, but news receiving little mention in the popular press today (Thursday) is that confidential reports from Portugal’s SIS secret services, and the PSP and GNR police, have “appeared inadvertently in a local business in West Africa”.

Detection of the leak, as Observador website calls it, has put “national, and consequently international security at risk”.

The documents were in the possession of a “citizen who appeared to be from Eastern Europe”, adds Observador.

This individual - now suspected of having links to an international arms trafficking network that involved Portuguese citizens - approached a West African company “in search of a service” and was asked by an employee of the company for various documents.

Among the paperwork he subsequently provided was “a series of apparently confidential reports”.

While the purported Eastern European then went missing (his identity is “completely unknown”, says Observador), the content of the confidential reports has proved quite shocking.

SIED, Portugal’s strategic defence information service, “was immediately contacted” and agents left Lisbon for Africa to “apprehend the documents and try and understand if they had been, in one form or other, replicated”, explains Observador.

Among the stash were 2011 and 2012 SIS reports on Hell’s Angels activity in Portugal, “tracing links to alleged crimes of drugs and arms trafficking, extortion and pimping”, and including names and addresses of purported members of the biking fraternity, as well as a number of photographs.

There was also a GNR report on “a series of thefts from hotels in the Algarve” - complete with references and photographs of citizens under suspicion - and further police-collated information on robberies from vans and lorries carrying tobacco throughout Portugal.

Included too was a further report from the Information System of the Army. It was one “used during the military exercise dubbed Intelligence”.

“As well as the positions of the military during this exercise, and its objective, there was detailed information like the names and telephone numbers of personnel responsible for training,” writes Observador.

“Some of the documents appear to have been digitalised from original documents, others appear to be digital copies of originals.”

In the same file, there were also “various security manuals on international installations, and a NATO manual on (the military exercise) Intelligence in English”, adds Observador, finally alluding to an “organigram (organisational chart) on an alleged drugs trafficking network that operated on an international level, with all its links”.

This organigram was “written in Portuguese”, says the website.

As bizarre as all this information sounds, it is barely touched on anywhere else in the national press - and according to Observador, three attempts for some kind of clarification from SIED or the office of prime minister António Costa (“to whom SIED reports”) have been stonewalled.

The Attorney General’s office has also failed to reply to questions on whether there is an inquiry now ongoing within the Public Ministry.

Meantime, Observador’s story is being rapidly shared by Internet news services.

So Portugal isn't a sleepy little backwater, cut off from the worldwide outrages of the twenty first century, wherein all that goes amiss is the fault of 'the couple McCann, after all.

There is a great deal in that article which is worthy of very serious contemplation.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline mercury

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »
So Portugal isn't a sleepy little backwater, cut off from the worldwide outrages of the twenty first century, wherein all that goes amiss is the fault of 'the couple McCann, after all.

There is a great deal in that article which is worthy of very serious contemplation.

Yes it is a country that allows child abductiion, made even easier when kids are left alone and whose parents tell strangers they are beng  left alone

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:07 PM »
I don't recall anyone referring to Portugal as a sleepy backwater. Luz yes, Portugal no.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
I don't recall anyone referring to Portugal as a sleepy backwater. Luz yes, Portugal no.

The thrust of Donn's article which Misty posted for our information involved such a lot to get one's teeth into ...
  • real espionage ... with national and international implications
  • organised crime ... trafficking ~ drugs etc

So what was a diversion from that?
My description of Portugal as a supposed "sleepy backwater"  &%+((£

May I respectfully point out, there are those who market Portugal as such.  May I also respectfully suggest that in future when criticising my posts, you first of all do some homework.

**snip
Portugal’s lively capital, Lisbon, has one of the mildest climates in Western Europe and sits at the mouth of the great River Tagus. It is home to the monumental architecture of the Golden Age of Exploration, making it the perfect place from which to begin your own discovery of this historic land. After delving into its bustling streets and lesser-known quarters, the peace and quiet of the Serra de São Mamede to the north-east comes as a welcome contrast.

Relatively untouched by the passage of time, this is a land of golden, rolling hills, topped by glistening, fortified villages along the border with Spain.

A sleepy backwater, where you are transported back into the timeless traditions of deepest, rural Portugal.

https://www.inntravel.co.uk/holidays/journeys/portugal/an-alentejo-adventure

Whatever ... the important information contained in the post to which I was replying seems to have passed you by. http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6299.msg356275#msg356275 
I think it is well worth perusing and even discussing to the exclusion of petty point scoring which imo does absolutely nothing to enhance the reputation of the forum.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2016, 04:11:32 PM »
The thrust of Donn's article which Misty posted for our information involved such a lot to get one's teeth into ...
  • real espionage ... with national and international implications
  • organised crime ... trafficking ~ drugs etc

So what was a diversion from that?
My description of Portugal as a supposed "sleepy backwater"  &%+((£

May I respectfully point out, there are those who market Portugal as such.  May I also respectfully suggest that in future when criticising my posts, you first of all do some homework.

**snip
Portugal’s lively capital, Lisbon, has one of the mildest climates in Western Europe and sits at the mouth of the great River Tagus. It is home to the monumental architecture of the Golden Age of Exploration, making it the perfect place from which to begin your own discovery of this historic land. After delving into its bustling streets and lesser-known quarters, the peace and quiet of the Serra de São Mamede to the north-east comes as a welcome contrast.

Relatively untouched by the passage of time, this is a land of golden, rolling hills, topped by glistening, fortified villages along the border with Spain.

A sleepy backwater, where you are transported back into the timeless traditions of deepest, rural Portugal.

https://www.inntravel.co.uk/holidays/journeys/portugal/an-alentejo-adventure

Whatever ... the important information contained in the post to which I was replying seems to have passed you by. http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6299.msg356275#msg356275 
I think it is well worth perusing and even discussing to the exclusion of petty point scoring which imo does absolutely nothing to enhance the reputation of the forum.

Petty point scoring? That's exactly how I interpreted your comment;

"So Portugal isn't a sleepy little backwater, cut off from the worldwide outrages of the twenty first century, wherein all that goes amiss is the fault of 'the couple McCann, after all.

There is a great deal in that article which is worthy of very serious contemplation"

If you read your own 'homework' again it doesn't describe Portugal as a sleepy little backwater, it describes as such a certain rural area of Portugal, so you haven't supported your first assertion.

I haven't seen anything suggesting that everything which has gone amiss in Portugal has been laid at the door of the McCanns, either; another unsupported allegation.

The diversion is yours trying to use an unrelated article to support your own views on the McCann case.

We already knew there were drugs in Portugal. I think Amaral had some success in that area as I recall? It's nice to learn that the GNR didn't ignore thefts from hotels either. No-one has, as far as I know, suggested that Portugal was crime-free. Just PdL in connection with the McCann case.

All I see is an allegation that the Portuguese had confidential information stolen. They aren't the first and I doubt if they will be the last.

Trying to relate unrelated news about Portugal to the McCann case does nothing to enhance the reputation of the forum imo.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2016, 05:33:52 PM »
Petty point scoring? That's exactly how I interpreted your comment;

"So Portugal isn't a sleepy little backwater, cut off from the worldwide outrages of the twenty first century, wherein all that goes amiss is the fault of 'the couple McCann, after all.

There is a great deal in that article which is worthy of very serious contemplation"

If you read your own 'homework' again it doesn't describe Portugal as a sleepy little backwater, it describes as such a certain rural area of Portugal, so you haven't supported your first assertion.

I haven't seen anything suggesting that everything which has gone amiss in Portugal has been laid at the door of the McCanns, either; another unsupported allegation.

The diversion is yours trying to use an unrelated article to support your own views on the McCann case.

We already knew there were drugs in Portugal. I think Amaral had some success in that area as I recall? It's nice to learn that the GNR didn't ignore thefts from hotels either. No-one has, as far as I know, suggested that Portugal was crime-free. Just PdL in connection with the McCann case.

All I see is an allegation that the Portuguese had confidential information stolen. They aren't the first and I doubt if they will be the last.

Trying to relate unrelated news about Portugal to the McCann case does nothing to enhance the reputation of the forum imo.

See ... it is easy to voice an opinion and argument based on the original concept when you put your mind to it.

You should try it more often rather than tailoring your reply to your interpretation of what you think a poster may have said  8((()*/ but actually did not.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
See ... it is easy to voice an opinion and argument based on the original concept when you put your mind to it.

You should try it more often rather than tailoring your reply to your interpretation of what you think a poster may have said  8((()*/ but actually did not.

I haven't got a clue what you mean, sorry. I replied to your post which was quite clear. It was factually incorrect and it unsuccessfully attempted to relate the story quoted to the McCanns. Glad you liked it though.  @)(++(*
Result = happy posting.