Author Topic: Mikaeel Kular > Three-year-old boy missing from a house in Edinburgh.  (Read 87246 times)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Mikaeel Kular > Three-year-old boy missing from a house in Edinburgh.
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:39 AM »
The BBC don't seem to be paying him much attention. Not like if he were a little white girl.

Personally I don't see any overt racism so far.

The fact that media coverage is not wall to wall is not necessarily a measure of how efficiently an investigation is being conducted. We have all been brainwashed into thinking that the more the media covers something, the more important it is and the better we know the facts. In fact over exposure can be counterproductive in a missing persons case. We have also been used to everything being on the front pages with everything on the McCann case, but that is hardly the standard.

Police do appear to be pulling out all the stops. They have mobilised huge numbers of personnel and search parties, interviewed family members, checked borders and coastal areas, followed up paedophile information, and implemented the national missing child alert system - as well as making public appeals. Forensics appear to be being professionally done; the whole street is now sealed off. I don't know if there's anything there to suggest that they're not pulling their weight. The local MP has spoken of the matter in the House of Commons as well.

This family are clearly a very ordinary one. Possibly first-generation immigrants living in a solidly working-class part of Edinburgh. The mother a single mother with a number of children. Not privileged people in any way shape or form; no connections as far as we know. Yet there are no obvious signs so far that police and authorities are not making all possible efforts - quite the reverse.

I found it interesting that superintendent McAinsh spoke of the missing child as the 'wee boy'. Coming from Edinburgh, I know that this is an affectionate way of referring to a child (the Scots version of the diminutive form).

In speaking of the child in this affectionate way - using an expression one would normally reserve for one's own child or family member, or a child one is familiar with or fond of - Superintendent McAinsh is making a point of communicating on an emotional level with the public, playing on them, as parents, to empathise with the mother of the missing 'wee boy' in the appeal for help with the search.

To me that one detail was highly significant. Far from any concept of racism. And possibly the modus operandus of a female police officer?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:00:22 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2014, 03:32:44 AM »
It is not true that the BBC is not reporting on this case.. They are, as usual, the least speculative and have good facts.
5 hrs ago:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-25770887
10 hours ago:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-25756633

AnneGuedes

« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:01 AM »
checked borders and coastal areas,
Are you sure that all vessels leaving the port and marina of Edinburgh have been checked ?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
Are you sure that all vessels leaving the port and marina of Edinburgh have been checked ?

That's a good question, Anne. I didn't check up on that. Will just have a look now..

AnneGuedes

« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »
That's a good question, Anne. I didn't check up on that. Will just have a look now..
They've searched the coast and used lifeboats and helicopters, it doesn't seem they searched the ships. Have you any idea of the maritime traffic ?
I observed they've launched a CRA rather late. Perhaps because one criteria was missing : reasonable belief that the child has been abducted.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:48 AM »
They've searched the coast and used lifeboats and helicopters, it doesn't seem they searched the ships. Have you any idea of the maritime traffic ?
I observed they've launched a CRA rather late. Perhaps because one criteria was missing : reasonable belief that the child has been abducted.

That's what I found so far as well, Anne. Nothing about ships. Though I'll keep on looking.

I don't know anything specifically about maritime traffic, though I can tell you that the Edinburgh port (Port of Leith) is a very large commercial port serving the entire Baltic region. Mainly commercial and also a few large passenger and cruise ships are docked there. In addition to the main port, there are also many small ports and marinas in the area, along the coastline.

I also read in a Telegraph article earlier today (to which I only had partial access as I don't have a subscription) that ports all over Britain were being searched. That operation would be a very large one.

As far as CRA goes, I read about it at around 12.00pm on Wednesday. That's about 5 hours after the boy was discovered missing.  I'm not sure if that is quick or slow to be honest. As you say, police are not yet convinced that there is any criminality so that could explain why it was not implemented slightly earlier.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:29:31 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline John

« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2014, 04:30:00 AM »
They always make the same mistake in their panic.  They have widened the search area beyond that which a 3-year-old could possibly have wandered unseen and on his own.  The Scottish police in general have little experience of child abduction so they are effectively feeling their way.  They were far too slow to bring in forensics or move the family from the flat concerned.

The Edinburgh lot in particular still haven't learned a lesson from the Jodi Jones case where the forensics were a complete shambles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:33:30 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:47 AM »
They always make the same mistake in their panic.  They have widened the search area beyond that which a 3-year-old could possibly have wandered unseen and on his own.  The Scottish police in general have little experience of child abduction so they are effectively feeling their way.  They were far too slow to bring in forensics or move the family from the flat concerned.

The Edinburgh lot in particular still haven't learned a lesson from the Jodi Jones case where the forensics were a complete shambles.

Can you explain a little more  John about how they are handling the forensics too slowly in this case? I don't know much about these things.

Offline John

« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:03 AM »
Just for information, the Port of Leith has no passenger traffic or car ferries or anything like that.  As Sherlock indicates, it is wholly commercial except for the small pleasure craft in the marinas along the estuary.  At this time of year there is almost no movement of private craft.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:40:02 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Can you explain a little more  John about how they are handling the forensics too slowly in this case? I don't know much about these things.

A potential crime scene and they never sealed it off immediately.  They allowed people to wander in and out for hours.

All the neighbours are saying that a toddler couldn't possibly have got out on his own yet the police are still doubting if there was any criminality involved.  In situations like this you have to put everyone under the microscope.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:47:41 AM by John »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2014, 04:45:32 AM »
A potential crime scene and they never sealed it off immediately.  They allowed people to wander in and out for hours.

Sounds familiar...

It seems they decided early on that there were no 'suspicious' circumstances.

Offline John

« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »
Sounds familiar...

It seems they decided early on that there were no 'suspicious' circumstances.

Yes they did didn't they.  The little boy normally sleeps with his sister but not last night?   Sound a bit odd and rather convenient to you?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:51:05 AM by John »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »
Regarding ports and ships, I cannot imagine how these would come into play in this particular case.

If the boy was removed by a family member they certainly don't sound like the kind of people who would have had access to private boats. And where would they be taking him anyway?

As John says Edinburgh port is mainly commercial. There were a few passenger lines in my day ( we often sailed from Leith to Bergen in western Norway - beautiful journey) though few of these lines run today. Again, what relevance these mainly commercial ships or private boats would have to this case is hard to imagine.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:52:20 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:40 AM »

As far as CRA goes, I read about it at around 12.00pm on Wednesday. That's about 5 hours after the boy was discovered missing.  I'm not sure if that is quick or slow to be honest. As you say, police are not yet convinced that there is any criminality so that could explain why it was not implemented slightly earlier.
I think that (in France) in case of proved or high probability of abduction (independent witness), the delay is 1 hour because the regional State representative has to examine the case before allowing the operation which includes all highways and Internet, apart from TV and radio.

Offline John

« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:52 AM »
If he was taken by his family he would be in a car south to England immediately.  An hour and you would be over the border, no checkpoints or sod all.  If this is what happened he will be sheltered by the Asian communities and might never surface again in the UK.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:57:49 AM by John »