Author Topic: Can we take Court Reports at face value?  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Can we take Court Reports at face value?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
From the Anne Guedes report...

b) The lawyer for Guerra&Paz, Dra Fatima de Oliveira Esteves

She first admires the judge's patience and pays her respects to her colleagues. She then greets the journalists (there's only a British one, with a translator, in the court room) while noting that whenever the claimants are present the room is full whereas when they're not, like to-day, the room is deserted, inferring from this that the defendant Goncalo Amaral is of no importance.

FOE speaks also with her arms, one hand holding notes that she hardly consults.
In the perspective of what the claimants intend with this action, she thinks that a story has to be told in a few sentences : four couples go on holiday with their little children. At night they have dinner close by and leave the children on their own in their bedrooms, sleeping. One disappears... The children were alone.

FOE recalls that every time any child disappears, that child's parents are suspected.

She stresses that the McCann facts were widely spread and published. It was the news (about the case), and not Goncalo Amaral, who shaped the image of the parents in the MSM.

Here Dra Fatima Esteves holds up GA's book while thumbing the pages and asks the audience to look at its size and thickness. There's irony in her voice when she turns towards GA, who is sitting at the bottom of the bench, next to his lawyer and asks..
 All this product of your imagination written within 24 hours, Goncalo Amaral ? Congratulations !

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Defence_10_12_2014.htm

What you have proven very well is just how much real meaning can be lost in translation or by simply taking statements out of context...something I have been saying for some time

Offline John

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »
Very odd.  The comment is the only one Anne has chosen to report supposedly verbatim, with intonation.  It also seems a complete non sequitur with what was reportedly said by the lawyer immediately beforehand.  I'm far from convinced of the accuracy or impartiality  of this report.

I cannot help you any further Alfred as I no longer edit Anne's reports.  Our own report will be available soon.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
I cannot help you any further Alfred as I no longer edit Anne's reports.  Our own report will be available soon.
Who is the source of your own report out of interest?

Offline Albertini

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:44 PM »
What you have proven very well is just how much real meaning can be lost in translation or by simply taking statements out of context...something I have been saying for some time

There's two ways to take that passage. Either it's been made to seriously it's ironic.

Given its come from a defence lawyer it's not rocket science to understand the meaning was ironic.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
There's two ways to take that passage. Either it's been made to seriously it's ironic.

Given its come from a defence lawyer it's not rocket science to understand the meaning was ironic.

You have missed the point...this point has been discussed for the past couple of days and was originally made out of context which completely changed its meaning...only now has it ..supposedly ...been shown in its true context

Offline John

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »

That is why all the reports previously produced by non Britsh nationals and used by this forum were checked and edited carefully before being published.  Phrases and content were often altered where there was a noticeable conflict between the spoken and the written word.

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 11:42:04 PM »
Who is the source of your own report out of interest?

Currently we take content from three interpreters.  Unfortunately, only two attended the last hearing which is not ideal.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:35:06 AM by John »