Author Topic: Eye scanners being used to search for missing children.  (Read 50252 times)

Offline Admin

Eye scanners being used to search for missing children.
« on: August 05, 2015, 01:55:35 AM »
Eye-scanners used to track terrorists adapted to help search for missing children like Madeleine McCann

MailOnline
4 August 2015

• Devices will be used to scan a person's eye from up to 40 feet away
  • Developed by Carnegie Mellon University's College of Engineering in Pittsburgh
  • They will check the 'fingerprint' of iris against database of missing people
  • Similar technology already used by military to identify suspected terrorists
  • Could help find missing children whose appearances have altered

Eye-scanners used to track terrorists are being adapted to help search for missing children.

Researchers at a Pittsburgh university have developed high-resolution cameras that can be placed at major checkpoints, such as airports and border crossings, to scan a person's iris from 40-feet away.

It means missing people could be identified through their eye's iris, even if their physical appearance has altered drastically.

'This is breakthrough technology for locating missing children, especially victims of human trafficking,' said Marios Savvides, director of the CyLab Biometrics Center at Carnegie Mellon University's College of Engineering.

'Right now law enforcement has only photos of missing children to work with, but appearance can change.'

'We're giving them a biometric that really cannot be altered,' he told Fox News.

The technology could help children like British girl Madeleine McCann who went missing from a holiday apartment in Portugal, eight years ago, just days before her fourth birthday.

Pictures circulated of the blonde youngster focused on a distinctive mark on her right eye that her family hope will still lead to her identification, years later.

But this technology would go beyond anything that could be seen by the naked eye, scientists say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3184725/Eye-scanners-used-track-terrorists-adapted-help-search-missing-children-like-Madeleine-McCann.html

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:32:28 AM by Admin »

Offline jassi

Re: Eye scanners being used to search for missing children.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
In order to use this technology, will they not need to have previously made a record of a person's iris ?
Rather sounds as if everyone would need to have this done before it could be used effectively.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »
In order to use this technology, will they not need to have previously made a record of a person's iris ?
Rather sounds as if everyone would need to have this done before it could be used effectively.

I wonder how long it would take?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »

With regards to Maddie this is pointless because, Her 'abductor' will either gouge her eyes out or kill her/if that hasn't happened already.

Daddy says it was a great 'marketing ploy'( they are go getter business people now)- it could have been the death nell for her!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
With regards to Maddie this is pointless because, Her 'abductor' will either gouge her eyes out or kill her/if that hasn't happened already.

Daddy says it was a great 'marketing ploy'( they are go getter business people now)- it could have been the death nell for her!

Then blame The PJ.  They advertised Madeleine's eye first.

Offline Carana

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

Take a look at any person's missing page. They all note distinguishing features if there are any.

Ironically, that's one of the few things for which I give credit to Amaral for actually organising as soon as possible, and was approved by the magistrate, to help find her.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »

What did they say? That she had a hardly noticeable fleck in her eye which you would only see if you were very close to her?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Lyall

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »

On their website. Not in worldwide multimedia campaigns.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
What did they say? That she had a hardly noticeable fleck in her eye which you would only see if you were very close to her?

I never heard the mccanns mention coloboma.....did you

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »
I never heard the mccanns mention coloboma.....did you

A good marketing ploy.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 08:47:39 PM »
A good marketing ploy.

so when did they use the word coloboma

Offline jassi

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
They didn't need t - they had a whacking great picture to show it
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 08:57:09 PM »
They didn't need t - they had a whacking great picture to show it

That's right...who thought it up ..  someone in advertising?

Offline jassi

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »
So it was published against the will of Gerry McCann? I don't think so.

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
So it was published against the will of Gerry McCann? I don't think so.

who suggested that...I would imagine Gerry was very pleased with it...in advertising it would be described as a good marketing ploy