Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 286290 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1365 on: February 21, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
Emergency contingency plan offered by the EU is to allow traffic for cargo planes for 5 months, while they find ways to "reroute". Unspecified time limit for passenger planes so far, but airline owners & board will have 6 months to set up to be a majority of EU citizens.

Taking back control?

Offline Carana

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:09:11 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1367 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
Thread on Sir Ivan Roger's * analysis of the conundrum:

https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1098649565253779457

* Sir Mark Ivan Rogers KCMG is a former senior British civil servant, who was the Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the European Union from 4 November 2013 until his resignation on 3 January 2017. Source wikipedia

IMO, he would have known that the Leave politicians could never have delivered the sunny uplands that voters were promised, which may well be why he quit.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1368 on: February 22, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Moved
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:09:59 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:57:19 PM by Carana »

Offline Miss Taken Identity

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #1371 on: February 28, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »

Christopher Hope
‏Verified account @christopherhope

I have an idea: why doesn't the UK leave the EU on March 29 without a deal, save £39bn to help British companies and unilaterally agree to abide by EU rules for 21 months?
This would allow us to sort out trade deals (having left) which can then start at the end of 2020. #Simples
9:58 AM - 27 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1100847652332335109

I had to look at his profile to see who he is...

Christopher HopeVerified account
@christopherhope

Chief Political Correspondent and Assistant Editor, The Daily Telegraph Presenter, Chopper's Brexit Podcast. http://www.playpodca.st/chopper  Parliament Lobby chairman

Is he serious??

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1372 on: February 28, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »
What if the mandate on which you were elected is no longer one which is recognisable to you?  What if the party of which you have been a member for forty or fifty plus years is no longer one which is recognisable to you?  What if constituencies and selection conferences are now the province of a particular faction and no longer the 'broad church' which it endeavoured to be?

You resign from the party and the seat and let your constituents decide who they prefer to have representing them.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1373 on: February 28, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
Interesting to see non EU migration has shot up steeply since the referendum.  Leavers must be delighted.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1374 on: February 28, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
What is the best posters expect from this sorry mess and what is the worst?
At the moment I admit I have no idea.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1375 on: February 28, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »

Neither does the government...

Offline John

« Reply #1376 on: March 01, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »

A UK and its people free to choose their own destiny.  A downturn is inevitable in the short term but then this will be mirrored in the EU too.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1377 on: March 01, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »
A UK and its people free to choose their own destiny.  A downturn is inevitable in the short term but then this will be mirrored in the EU too.

So economic downturn is fine as long as it affects to EU as well?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1378 on: March 01, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »
It's very difficult to know what the result of leaving the EU would be. We don't know what motives or vested interests commentators have. Leavers have been accused of lying, remainers of spreadng fear. The public have been accused of being guillible.

What is clear is that all the arguing has damaged the concept of democracy. It took centuries to wrest power from those who ruled, and for every adult to have a vote. For nillions of people that's all they have; the opportunity to use that vote to express their opinions and desires.

Everything which has happened since the referendum has, in my opinion, undermined the value of that vote and the idea that we live in a society which respects the will of the majority.

Whatever happens in the end the damage to the credibility of our political system will remain.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1379 on: March 01, 2019, 10:59:52 AM »
It's very difficult to know what the result of leaving the EU would be. We don't know what motives or vested interests commentators have. Leavers have been accused of lying, remainers of spreadng fear. The public have been accused of being guillible.

What is clear is that all the arguing has damaged the concept of democracy. It took centuries to wrest power from those who ruled, and for every adult to have a vote. For nillions of people that's all they have; the opportunity to use that vote to express their opinions and desires.

Everything which has happened since the referendum has, in my opinion, undermined the value of that vote and the idea that we live in a society which respects the will of the majority.

Whatever happens in the end the damage to the credibility of our political system will remain.

It has finally exposed Politicians for what they really are.  Self serving egotists who don't give a damn for The People.

Not that this will make much difference.  The Vote is worthless.  At best it will be ignored.  And if you don't vote then the existing Government will remain by default.

I have finally given up on Britain.