Author Topic: Moderation queries.  (Read 93199 times)

Offline John

Moderation queries.
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:22 AM »
All queries relating to moderation should be posted on this thread.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Erngath

Re: Moderation queries.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:48:40 AM »
All queries relating to moderation should be posted on this thread.

It would be good if posters were informed of the reason the reason their post is removed.
Thank you.

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »

It would be good if posters were informed of the reason the reason their post is removed.
Thank you.

Hi Erngath

We have had this raised numerous times and the answer from moderators is always that it would create far too much work if every deletion had to be explained.  That said however, I have no problem with posters asking why their post was removed and being entitled to an answer.

The most common reason why innocuous posts are removed is generally because they quoted an already deleted post or were off topic.  I believe your reply to davel earlier today was removed as it was off topic.  Members can ask an admin to intervene at any time if they consider that a post has been removed contrary to the forum rules.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:08:02 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:51:52 PM by ShiningInLuz »
What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »
Is it acceptable that a post when shown to be inaccurate is then claimed to be irony. 

The words of the post are obviously wrong in other words "inaccurate".  There is a rule about posts NOT being "inaccurate":
"Forum Rules
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law."

I think when irony is being used to make a point the forum needs to be made aware that irony is being used.  This could be an explanatory note at the end of the ironic post.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Moderation on the McCann board seems to be an ongoing bone of contention, No-one seems to feel that it's working. There are constant complaints about deletions from old and new members. Members seem to feel that posts are deleted because of bias on the part of the moderator rather than because the post broke forum rules.

I understand that the forum is essentially a dictatorship; the choices being to accept the status quo or leave.  I thought it might be useful for members to express their opinions and suggest any possible solutions here, rather than having periodic arguments in public.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Online Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
Moderation on the McCann board seems to be an ongoing bone of contention, No-one seems to feel that it's working. There are constant complaints about deletions from old and new members. Members seem to feel that posts are deleted because of bias on the part of the moderator rather than because the post broke forum rules.

I understand that the forum is essentially a dictatorship; the choices being to accept the status quo or leave.  I thought it might be useful for members to express their opinions and suggest any possible solutions here, rather than having periodic arguments in public.

The Members who feel that their comments are deleted due to Bias are wrong, especially since they don't know who deleted what.  But a large number of comments are deleted due to Reply to Deleted Post.
If Members did not reply to Insulting or Goading Posts then the number of Deletions would diminish.

Offline barrier

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »
The trouble with a thread such as this can a mod answer objectively rather than take it personally.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
The Members who feel that their comments are deleted due to Bias are wrong, especially since they don't know who deleted what.  But a large number of comments are deleted due to Reply to Deleted Post.
If Members did not reply to Insulting or Goading Posts then the number of Deletions would diminish.

How amusing! It sounded as if you're saying that it's perfectly permissible for Members to post insults and/or goads, but those who respond to such create unnecessary work for moderators. I had to read it twice to see that my initial thought was incorrect.

Offline barrier

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »

I think all chat forums are like that G,not just McCann associated ones.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »

How amusing! It sounded as if you're saying that it's perfectly permissible for Members to post insults and/or goads, but those who respond to such create unnecessary work for moderators. I had to read it twice to see that my initial thought was incorrect.

Please try not to be too silly.  Of course the Goad or Insult are removed first.  And No, they are not acceptable.  But replying to these comments does make more work for Moderators.

Less is always best, don't you think.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
I've had comments reinstated, so someone's not doing their job properly IMO.

Precisely.  John revues all deletions and reinstates where he thinks it is necessary.  Unfortunately, John is not able to be here all of the time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »
I'd like to thank Eleanor for being willing to take part in this discussion. Moderating is a difficult job which I personally wouldn't touch with a bargepole. It seems to me that moderators end up between the devil and the deep blue sea. It must be annoying to delete a post and then see it reinstated.  It also encourages members to think moderators arem't doing their job properly, so it leads to more challenges and arguments.

On the other hand I'm sure I'm not the only member who has posted a carefully worded post or two and then discovered them gone because I was involved in a discussion triggered by a post which moderators have decided, with hindsight, needs deleting.

Members can't be expected to read back before posting to ensure that previous posts are within the rules; that's not their responsibilty. I think speed of reaction by moderators is the problem here. If moderators dealt with unacceptable posts immediately then no-one would br able to reply to them.
Result = happy posting.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
I'd like to thank Eleanor for being willing to take part in this discussion. Moderating is a difficult job which I personally wouldn't touch with a bargepole. It seems to me that moderators end up between the devil and the deep blue sea. It must be annoying to delete a post and then see it reinstated.  It also encourages members to think moderators arem't doing their job properly, so it leads to more challenges and arguments.

On the other hand I'm sure I'm not the only member who has posted a carefully worded post or two and then discovered them gone because I was involved in a discussion triggered by a post which moderators have decided, with hindsight, needs deleting.

Members can't be expected to read back before posting to ensure that previous posts are within the rules; that's not their responsibilty. I think speed of reaction by moderators is the problem here. If moderators dealt with unacceptable posts immediately then no-one would br able to reply to them.

Thank You, G-Unit.

However, how fast on my feet do you think I am?  I can go to the lavatory or feed the dog and when I get back there are a dozen posts up, one of which could be unacceptable, in my opinion, and to which there are replies that also have to be deleted.  Often it is not possible to modify.

I shall be at The Food Bank this afternoon for a couple of hours.  I'm not missing that for what you should be able to control yourselves.  I don't know how busy any other Moderator might be.  We are not subjected to a Regime.

I do not mind if John reinstates a post that I have deleted.  It is only a matter of opinion.  But John's is the only opinion that matters in the end.  He does his utmost to make sure that you are all treated fairly.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Thank You, G-Unit.

However, how fast on my feet do you think I am?  I can go to the lavatory or feed the dog and when I get back there are a dozen posts up, one of which could be unacceptable, in my opinion, and to which there are replies that also have to be deleted.  Often it is not possible to modify.

I shall be at The Food Bank this afternoon for a couple of hours.  I'm not missing that for what you should be able to control yourselves.  I don't know how busy any other Moderator might be.  We are not subjected to a Regime.

I do not mind if John reinstates a post that I have deleted.  It is only a matter of opinion.  But John's is the only opinion that matters in the end.  He does his utmost to make sure that you are all treated fairly.

How dare you wander off feeding dogs lol!!

I know it's purely a voluntary matter, but even volunteers are usually organised so they are present when needed.  Perhaps more organisation between moderators would help?
Result = happy posting.