Author Topic: Is sectarianism a factor in the McCann case?  (Read 22474 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Is sectarianism a factor in the McCann case?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
That's something I never even considered; that sectarianism might still be affecting people's outlooks. That explains why the word 'hate' is used, because they know all about that don't they? Hating each other simply because they belong to different religious denominations. It also explains why I thought I recognised signs of bigotry here and there, because that's what sectarianism really is.

I saw it in action when I was growing up and I decided as a teenager that I didn't want to be associated with it. How could people who saw themselves as Christians be so scathing, bitter and hateful towards others? How could they see themselves as superior when they were filled with hate? Bigots pure and simple.

Good point, there is a significant Scottish element to the case, do those arguing from north of the border fall into sectarian roles and use the associated language? It would cause problems for those not used to it.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »
I have seen lots of anti-McCann sentiment posted by Liverpool fans too, of course yhe McCanns are Everton supporters so that would explain some of that bile.

Yes, another city where religious divisions remain. Anyone who supports or opposes them based on such an irrelevance is very sad imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
Good point, there is a significant Scottish element to the case, do those arguing from north of the border fall into sectarian roles and use the associated language? It would cause problems for those not used to it.

I certainly don't.
What I do find is that sectarianism against the McCanns does exist by some but then suddenly the sectarianism evaporates when Amaral is being lauded.
Is there sectarianism south of the border?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
Yes, another city where religious divisions remain. Anyone who supports or opposes them based on such an irrelevance is very sad imo.

Indeed.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »

I certainly don't.
What I do find is that sectarianism against the McCanns does exist by some but then suddenly the sectarianism evaporates when Amaral is being lauded.

I think you're missing the point. Sectarianism isn't just about religious differences, as I realised when I studied the troubles in Northern Ireland.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »
I think you're missing the point. Sectarianism isn't just about religious differences, as I realised when I studied the troubles in Northern Ireland.

The history of Northern Ireland is very different from here.
Although there is no doubt that the troubles there have made ripples here.
Here I believe much of the sectarianism is football based.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:06:20 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Liverpool are all interested and all still have sectarian divisions. That could certainly explain some of the passion and intolerance.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
The history of Northern Ireland is very different from here.
Although there is no doubt that the troubles there have made ripples here.
Here I believe much of the sectarianism is football based.

The strong links between Northern Ireland and Glasgow in particular suggest that the football is based on sectarianism, not vice versa imo.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:07:13 PM by John »
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
The strong links between Northern Ireland and Glasgow in particular suggest that the football is based on sectarianism, not vice versa imo.

It must be pointed out though that there are many, possibly the majority of fans of both clubs who are not bigots.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:07:37 PM by John »

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »

I certainly don't.

Very little.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
I have seen lots of anti-McCann sentiment posted by Liverpool fans too, of course yhe McCanns are Everton supporters so that would explain some of that bile.

Perhaps that’s more to do with the McCanns close relationship to the Murdoch empire.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
Perhaps that’s more to do with the McCanns close relationship to the Murdoch empire.
I doubt it.  I think it’s far more likely to do with a long-standing rivalry between the two local teams.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
I doubt it.  I think it’s far more likely to do with a long-standing rivalry between the two local teams.

And nothing to do with them selling their souls to a newspaper that is all but outlawed in Liverpool? Okaaaay !
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »

There is no stronger depth of emotion and partisanship than that provoked by football.
Even in countries with no religious divide eg Italy  there are deep and historical rivalries between sets of fans.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
And nothing to do with them selling their souls to a newspaper that is all but outlawed in Liverpool? Okaaaay !
If the paper is outlawed there and no one reads it, they wouldn’t even know about the McCanns “selling their souls”to it would they..,  8(0(*

ETA I take it Liverpool fans boycott Sky Sport as well?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:38:46 AM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly