Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 218600 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/australian-couple-on-holiday-in-portugal-die-after-falling-off-a-cliff-while taking-a-selfie/ar-AAyyYi9?li=BBqdg4K&ocid=UP97DHP  I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a double homicide.
Ericeira is a fishing village north of Lisbon, so this has nothing to do with the Algarve.
What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:40 AM »
Ericeira is a fishing village north of Lisbon, so this has nothing to do with the Algarve.
Well let's hope not.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2018, 11:03:11 PM »
There is to be a spectacular blood moon on Friday 27th, around 7.50pm in my neck of the woods on the Algarve.

A blood moon is a total eclipse of the moon by the Earth, with the Sun filtering through our atmosphere to provide the blood colour.

As far as I can tell, all active members of this forum can choose to watch it.

This will be the longest total eclipse (blood moon) until 2100.

The moon will rise in the East, as it always does.

Check your local sources for times applicable to your neck of the woods - it depends on where you are.

ETA If you are north of London, the Moon will not rise above your horizon, so this blood moon is off the menu.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:17:55 AM by ShiningInLuz »
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/alerta-cm--menina-de-cinco-anos-morre-afogada-em-piscina-no-algarve?ref=HP_DestaqueLateral

A 5 year old British boy has died in a swimming pool in a tourist complex in Silves, Algarve. He had been playing with his siblings.  His body was retrieved from the bottom of the pool  He was found by his parents.

A medical team from INEM attended, and attempted to resuscitate the boy, to no avail.

The GNR responded. The incident is being treated as unsuspicious.
What's up, old man?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/alerta-cm--menina-de-cinco-anos-morre-afogada-em-piscina-no-algarve?ref=HP_DestaqueLateral

A 5 year old British boy has died in a swimming pool in a tourist complex in Silves, Algarve. He had been playing with his siblings.  His body was retrieved from the bottom of the pool  He was found by his parents.

A medical team from INEM attended, and attempted to resuscitate the boy, to no avail.

The GNR responded. The incident is being treated as unsuspicious.

A terrible thing to happen but yet again down to poor parenting.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/alerta-cm--acidente-na-en125-faz-um-morto-e-oito-feridos-em-lagoa-no-algarve?ref=HP_Destaque

A 3 car collision on the EN125 near Lagoa this morning has left 1 dead, and 9 injured, 2 of whom are in a serious condition.  NB Lagoa is not Lagos.

I have omitted photos for certain squeamish members who are offended by smashed cars.

The link has photos of the 3 cars for those made of sterner stuff, and you might like to try to puzzle out what was going on.

The weather was perfect.  Road visibility where the crash occurred was perfect.  The photos show it to be a high-quality stretch of the EN125.

The 3 cars all appear to have been in a high speed, front on collision.

The normal average for the EN125 is about 80kph i.e. 50mph, though some like to risk higher speeds to overtake.
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/chamas-consomem-serra-de-monchique?ref=HP_Grupo1

The fires have started.  This one is in an area known as Black Rock - nothing to do with Madeleine - in the mountains above Monchique, which is not too far away from us here on the Algarve.

The weather has been baking hot for the last 2 days, accompanied by fairly strong winds.

Black Rock itself is empty of people and property.  However, nearby villages were put on standby to be ready to evacuate.

For the fire, there were 11 air teams, 190 vehicles, hundreds and hundreds of bombeiros and 6 platoons from the army.  The bombeiros were resourced from far and wide, not just the stations at Lagos and Monchique.

The Algarve does have fire warnings out.  But those are toward the east side towards Spain, near Tavira, rather than near Lagos.  It is also the case that the Alentejo, the region to the north, is expected to hit higher temperatures.
What's up, old man?

Offline Sunny

« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
Oh I hope everyone is safe over there. These fires can spread very fast.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
Oh I hope everyone is safe over there. These fires can spread very fast.

The world is in a dreadful mess what with droughts, wild fires and floods.  All down to mankind and global warming.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Brietta

« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »

All terribly gripping I'm sure ... but is any of it even remotely on topic?

Just a reminder ... News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
All terribly gripping I'm sure ... but is any of it even remotely on topic?

Just a reminder ... News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve
Sorry
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:57 PM »
Sorry

Let you off this once, Robitty, as you know I never well only now and again, wander off topic.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
Today, for the first time since the Monchique fire started on Fri 3 Aug we have perfect azure skies over our home, rather than a large smoke cloud.

News is coming in that the 106 people who were evacuated from villages around Silves yesterday afternoon were returned home, starting this morning.

It looks like the beginning of the end for the Monchique 2018 conflagration, with just a single person injured seriously.
What's up, old man?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Today, for the first time since the Monchique fire started on Fri 3 Aug we have perfect azure skies over our home, rather than a large smoke cloud.

News is coming in that the 106 people who were evacuated from villages around Silves yesterday afternoon were returned home, starting this morning.

It looks like the beginning of the end for the Monchique 2018 conflagration, with just a single person injured seriously.

I was reading about it earlier; well, I was reading about the GIT who were sent in to help but given no accommodation. They were sleeping outside with no sleeping bags even. It was looking quite serious there for a while.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2018, 11:28:12 PM »
This is about an alleged attempt in the centre of Lagos of a six-year-old girl about a month ago.

http://portugalresident.com/mystery-woman-takes-six-year-old-in-broad-daylight-in-lagos

Make of it what you will.
What's up, old man?