Author Topic: Why have the Portuguese refused a 'Joint Investigation' of the Madeleine McCann case?  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Admin

The Portuguese authorities have consistently refused a joint investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Archive - Portuguese reject joint investigation
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:52:32 AM by John »

Alfred R Jones

The Portuguese authorities have consistently refused a joint investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Archive - Portuguese reject joint investigation
Makes you wonder why if (as many sceptics here believe) both the Met and PJ are both independently building a case against the McCanns dunnit?

Offline jassi

As I understand the next stage of the investigation is to take dna and fingerprints from the present arguidos. As the PJ will not co operate this will need a rogatory letter from the UK. The request to interview these present arguidos took a year to process from what I can see . This is why SY would like a joint investigation.

Is that not the way it ought to be?
I'm sure the PJ are cooperating, but strictly withing the framework of Portuguese law.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

Is that not the way it ought to be?
I'm sure the PJ are cooperating, but strictly withing the framework of Portuguese law.

From what I have read, a joint investigation would be the most efficient way of progressing Madeleine's case to a conclusion ... all of which would be strictly within the framework of European law ... perhaps there are those within Portugal who do not wish that to happen.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

This may be so, though it would be at a higher level than that of the PJ, as their actions are strictly controlled by the Judiciary.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

Makes you wonder why if (as many sceptics here believe) both the Met and PJ are both independently building a case against the McCanns dunnit?

If SY were really investigating the McCanns they would not need rogatory letters or a joint investigation..and I'm sure the portuguese would give them all the  help they needed to show the parents responsibility and how the Portuguese police were right all along...

proves that SY are NOT investigating the mccanns

Offline John

I think this subject deserves its own thread.

My own view is that SY would then be privy to PJ secrets.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Air Con

If SY were really investigating the McCanns they would not need rogatory letters or a joint investigation..and I'm sure the portuguese would give them all the  help they needed to show the parents responsibility and how the Portuguese police were right all along...

proves that SY are NOT investigating the mccanns

It's a Portugese investigation, what right would SY have to question them?

Offline Mr Gray

It's a Portugese investigation, what right would SY have to question them?

I think we have had this discussion before...in the case of serious crimes abroad uk police have the right to investigate and prosecute uk subjects

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
I think this subject deserves its own thread.

My own view is that SY would then be privy to PJ secrets.

And that's the last thing the PJ would want.

Shame we don't have a say when billions of our tax is being paid to Portugal again, to be wasted.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Air Con

I think we have had this discussion before...in the case of serious crimes abroad uk police have the right to investigate and prosecute uk subjects

Not without the help of the country concerned. Which you intimated wouldn't be necessary.

Offline Mr Gray

Not without the help of the country concerned. Which you intimated wouldn't be necessary.

depends on the crime,,,for serious crime no co operation from the country where the crime was committed is needed

Offline Mr Gray

haven't uk police already interviewed uk nationals regarding this case

Offline Air Con

depends on the crime,,,for serious crime no co operation from the country where the crime was committed is needed

So you're saying that SY can investigate someone in the UK about a crime committed abroad with no authorisation or cooperation from the country in which the crime was committed?

Cite please.

Offline Mr Gray

So you're saying that SY can investigate someone in the UK about a crime committed abroad with no authorisation or cooperation from the country in which the crime was committed?

Cite please.
Currently there are many other overseas criminal investigations that require UK police assistance, including terrorism, piracy, war crimes and kidnappings. Most of these use the legal premise of “universal jurisdiction”, implying that the crime could be prosecuted in the UK – though prosecutions tend to take place in the country where the crime has been committed, or in the International Criminal Court in The Hague.