Author Topic: Would the McCanns have been tortured too had they been Portuguese?  (Read 44733 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Would the McCanns have been tortured too had they been Portuguese?
« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
Then explain why no successful appeal has been lodged? without using the word "Montclair".

How could the case be appealed beyond the Supreme Court?

Offline Carana

« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
Without the full translated transcripts and ditto police files we are shooting in the dark.
I say tomayto you say tomarto.

I doubt that anything substantial of an incriminating nature would have been left out of the prosecution case, which was reflected in the SC ruling.

If anything, the reverse might be true - i.e., the defence appears to have been little more than an assumption that the case would be thrown out due to lack of evidence. What is not clear to me is whether they had - or could have applied for -  the resources at their disposal to mount an effective defence or not.

The full SC ruling is online, albeit in Portuguese. Concerning the transcripts (if you mean of the witness testimony), 45 witnesses gave testimony during the course of under three days, which allowing for lunch breaks, appears to have been quite a marathon, so I doubt that the full transcripts would have revealed much more.

The police files might have been interesting, but once the Faro boys took over from Portimão (after only 4 days), with 11 arguidos, heavy-handed interrogations for at least some of them, summary statements in reported speech - there might not be a lot that was officially recorded.

Out of curiosity, I would have been interested in the forensic lab report - but the bottom line would still have been the same.

This isn't an appropriate thread to make a list of all the things that I find jaw-dropping about what IS contained in the ruling as it is.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
I doubt that anything substantial of an incriminating nature would have been left out of the prosecution case, which was reflected in the SC ruling.

If anything, the reverse might be true - i.e., the defence appears to have been little more than an assumption that the case would be thrown out due to lack of evidence. What is not clear to me is whether they had - or could have applied for -  the resources at their disposal to mount an effective defence or not.

The full SC ruling is online, albeit in Portuguese. Concerning the transcripts (if you mean of the witness testimony), 45 witnesses gave testimony during the course of under three days, which allowing for lunch breaks, appears to have been quite a marathon, so I doubt that the full transcripts would have revealed much more.

The police files might have been interesting, but once the Faro boys took over from Portimão (after only 4 days), with 11 arguidos, heavy-handed interrogations for at least some of them, summary statements in reported speech - there might not be a lot that was officially recorded.

Out of curiosity, I would have been interested in the forensic lab report - but the bottom line would still have been the same.

This isn't an appropriate thread to make a list of all the things that I find jaw-dropping about what IS contained in the ruling as it is.

I mean the entire record of the proceedings in the court.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #378 on: January 09, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
I mean the entire record of the proceedings in the court.

The entire court case lasted only 5 days * ETA: Correction: 3 days.

- with 45 witnesses taking the stand (aside from one known pre-recorded one) to rush through in just under 3 days, starting from the Wednesday, presumably with coffee / lunch breaks in between, and a session on the last day devoted to watching the video of the alleged "reconstruction".

* I'm trying to verify if it even lasted 5 days or just 3. I'm no longer sure and don't have notes to hand.

12 OCTOBER 2005
Begins the trial by jury , Leonor and João Cipriano , which extends over three days.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:36:40 AM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »
I just checked: 12 October 2005 (the start of the trial) was a Wednesday. The entire trial lasted 3 days...