Author Topic: Are there any parallels with the Simon Hall case?  (Read 36846 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Are there any parallels with the Simon Hall case?
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
Thanks - but that does not confirm that he made a reliable confession.  It's helpful so far as it goes, but it's a local newspaper, which is not an authoritative source.

I am happy to drop the point because the case is not of much interest to me, but I am always cautious about confessions from people who have maintained long-term denial of the offence.  I have very good reason to be cautious.  To me, a reliable confession would be a signed and dated statement, given in the presence of a responsible party such as the police, a regulated lawyer or a prison governor, etc., and only after being cautioned about one's rights and the incriminating nature of the statement to be signed; in the statement, the offender should admit how, why, where and when he carried out the relevant acts, and add any other relevant information.  Anything short of that may not be reliable - though it does depend on the circumstances, and I don't know (and have no wish to inquire further of) the circumstances here.  All I can say is that I am very sorry to hear about the lady who was killed, I hope she did not suffer, I offer my condolences to her family - and I hope Simon Hall at last found peace.

Innuendo or throw away comment?

Thought you hated religion and neuroscientific theories? Do you believe in the after life?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:47:32 PM by Stephanie »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
IMO Jeremy Bamber will be hard pressed to find decent representation full stop!

Who is Bambers current solicitor? Does he have one?

Is it this chap?

"I am delighted to endorse this comprehensive book on wrongful convictions. In its clear and concise terms it will help readers start to grasp hold of a system which is overly complex and stacked against those who have been wrongfully convicted. The book will help all those who have suffered an injustice to have direction as they continue to fight to clear their names.’ – Mark Newby, Solicitor Advocate, Jordans LLP, Doncaster
http://michaeljnaughton.com/?page_id=877

"WRONGLY ACCUSED: Show me a miscarriage of justice and, nine times out of 10, I will show you the blueprint that caused it, writes Eric Allison.
Eric Allison is the Guardian’s prison correspondent.
This essay will feature in a new collection of essays (No defence: miscarriages of justice and lawyers) as part of the Justice Gap series and following on from Wrongly Accused: who is responsible for investigating miscarriages of justice? (to be published in association with Solicitors Journal and Wilmington). You can download that collection HERE.
Contributors for No Defence include Eric Allison; Dr Ros Burnett; Prof Ed Cape; Dr Dennis Eady; Francis Fitzgibbon QC; Mark George QC; Andrew Green; Campbell Malone; Michael Mansfield QC; Mark Newby; Daniel Newman; Paul May; Dr Angus Nurse; Correna Platt; Julie Price; Dr Hannah Quirk; David Rose; Adam Sampson; Satish Sekar; and Tom Wainwright. Thanks to all.
‘Instead of closing the gap a huge chasm has just opened up right at the top of the system. It is a shocking and disgraceful manoeuvre by those who carry the core responsibility for maintaining and protecting the provision of justice… . This series of admirable essays has sought to identify and suggest remedies for those most disadvantaged by our judicial system.’
Michael Mansfield QC

Eric Allison: Show me a miscarriage of justice and, nine times out of 10, I will show you the blueprint that caused it. There is a pattern, a template, in virtually all of these cases, made up of the following strands.

First: you have a defendant who has little or no knowledge of the criminal justice system – and, in many cases, a touching belief in the integrity of that system.
Two: investigating police officers who act as judge and jury, making up their minds they have the right person and going to great lengths to hamper the defence. Non-disclosure of evidence being the main obstacle they place in the path of truth.
Three: prejudicial pre-trial reports by the media. Jurors are told to ignore this, but I suggest this is asking too much of them, especially in high profile cases.
Four: poor legal representation. In every case I have studied, I have found glaring errors on the part of the defence lawyers. These include, failure to call witnesses, failure to seek full disclosure of evidence and a general lack of endeavour on the part of those chosen to lead defendants through the minefield of criminal trials. And, with cutbacks in legal aid biting deeper, this situation can only get worse.
Last, but not least, those wrongly convicted face a hostile, intractable, appeal system, with an appeal court seemingly concerned only with maintaining the status quo, that being, the validity of the original conviction. Their Lordships never being more unyielding than when confronted with the assertion that an appellant’s trial lawyers let him or her down. The wigged ones all feed from the same trough and few will question the abilities of another of their ilk.
Other factors go towards the likelihood of more and more innocent people being convicted.

Reasonable doubt
The introduction of majority verdicts, in 1967, was a dangerous step. Given it is for the prosecution to prove guilt; I would have thought two people, out of 12, not being satisfied with the Crown’s case, constituted reasonable doubt? Not so and many high profile alleged miscarriages were the subject of majority verdicts -notably Jeremy Bamber, found guilty on a 10 to two basis.

The law changed in 2003 to allow into evidence of a defendant’s convictions for previous offences. Prior to then, unless a defendant attacked the character of a prosecution witness, juries were kept in the dark about previous convictions the people in the dock had to their name. Easier for the prosecution to prove it’s case. But is it fair?  ‘Give a dog a bad name…’

Safety net
On paper, the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) provides a safety net for those floundering in the mire of a wrongful conviction. But the CCRC has disappointed those who hoped the establishment of such a body would deal swiftly and surely with miscarriages of justice.

In practice, the CCRC is under-resourced and seemingly unable to carry out the in-depth investigations required to uncover the truth when the justice system has got it wrong. Critics see them as gatekeepers to the court of appeal, trying to second guess how that tribunal will view the cases they refer, rather than the independent, fact finding, body hoped for.

Of all the alleged miscarriages of justice I have researched, the cases of Jeremy Bamber and Susan May stand out for two reasons: firstly, I have absolutely no doubt about their innocence and, secondly, they tick every box of the blueprint of how the system fails.

Both were people of hitherto good character, with no experience of the criminal justice system. If either had had one tenth of the knowledge of the law – and trial procedure – they have now, both would have walked free – of that I am certain. (Despite both falling victim to prejudicial pre-trial reporting and biased police investigations.)  Both have had their cases rejected by the court of appeal twice. Both have had their submissions rejected by the CCRC – though Susan’s case is now being reviewed again by that body.

I am convinced there are more miscarriages of justice now than at any time since I have been a student of the system-a study going back over half a century. I am personally aware of well over a hundred, serious, cases that scream out to be looked at again.
And I repeat, I believe the situation is set to worsen a) because of cut backs in legal aid and b) the massive increase in convictions for historical sexual offences.

The latter area concerns me greatly – in the current, post-Saville, climate, I expect the conviction rates for these offences to take a surge. And yet this is one area where greater care than ever ought to be taken in deciding guilt or innocence. Almost uniquely, as far as criminal trials are concerned, a defendant can be convicted on the uncorroborated word of the accuser. There are usually no witnesses to such crimes and, because of the passage of time, no forensic or medical evidence to support the allegations. It is one person’s word against another.

I have researched several convictions for historical sexual offences and, in some cases, my findings are deeply troubling. It is a murky world to peer into and any concern for the safety of such a conviction can be taken as having some sympathy for people deemed beyond the pale in the court of public opinion.

Questioning some of those convictions is to risk being accused of having no understanding of the awful trauma endured by victims of sexual abuse. But two wrongs never made a right and some things need to be said.
Consider this: Albany prison, on the Isle of Wight holds some 560 prisoners – virtually all sex-offenders, many convicted of historical offences. Around half of the population of Albany is in denial. This means they are not addressing their offending behaviour and not participating in treatment programmes. Because of their plea of innocence, they will never become eligible for parole. Many are serving extremely long sentences, so they count the difference in years and some will die in prison. They will not have their security classification downgraded – a move which invariably means better prison conditions – and, on their eventual release, will find their place on the sex offenders register coming under intense scrutiny.

Without doubt, some of these men will be in denial because they cannot come to terms with the offences they have committed. But over 250 of them, in one jail? Something is wrong.

Like many, I hoped, with the freeing of the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four et al and the setting up of the CCRC, we had seen the back of wholesale wrongful convictions. The ever burgeoning case file of alleged miscarriages of justice tells me the hope was in vain. We are back to where were before we thought: ‘This cannot happen again’.
http://www.thejusticegap.com/2013/03/im-convinced-there-are-more-miscarriages-of-justice-than-ever/

What I'd like to know from any one of those people in the list above, and you David, if you are able to put your bias to one side, is:

What is the blueprint of how people like Simon Hall can con people like me and the criminal justice system and their agencies. I'll give you a clue. It's the exact same blueprint used by Jeremy Bamber.

How was I conned by Simon Hall?

How did Simon Hall con the criminal justice system and other agencies?

How did Simon Hall com Dr Michael Naughton?

How did Simon Hall con Sir Keir Starmer QC

How did Simon Hall con private eye?

How did Simon Hall con the CCRC?

How did Simon Hall con Rough Justice?

How was I conned by all those before me? Did they con me?

You see David to quote Eric Allison; "There is a pattern, a template, in virtually all of these cases"

Eric Allison states:
"I have researched several convictions for historical sexual offences and, in some cases, my findings are deeply troubling. It is a murky world to peer into and any concern for the safety of such a conviction can be taken as having some sympathy for people deemed beyond the pale in the court of public opinion

What would Eric Allison have to say about Simon Halls historical sexual offences? Oh..that's right, he wouldn't know, because Hall was convicted based on the wrong motive.

Isn't it interesting that many of those listed below once represented or alledgedly supported Simon Hall?

"This essay will feature in a new collection of essays (No defence: miscarriages of justice and lawyers) as part of the Justice Gap series and following on from Wrongly Accused: who is responsible for investigating miscarriages of justice? (to be published in association with Solicitors Journal and Wilmington). You can download that collection HERE.
Contributors for No Defence includeinclude Eric Allison; Dr Ros Burnett; Prof Ed Cape; Dr Dennis Eady; Francis Fitzgibbon QC; Mark George QC; Andrew Green; Campbell Malone; Michael Mansfield QC; Mark Newby; Daniel Newman; Paul May; Dr Angus Nurse; Correna Platt; Julie Price; Dr Hannah Quirk; David Rose; Adam Sampson; Satish Sekar; and Tom Wainwright. Thanks to all

What did they learn, if anything, following Simon Hall's confession?

Andrew Green
Corena Platt
Campbell Malone
Satish Seker
Julie Price
Denis Eady
Michael Mansfield
Mark Newby
Paul May

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:21:35 PM by Stephanie »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »
Holly in response to Simon Hall's confession you stated:
I don't know - confused  :-\ :-\ :-\. As Caroline said perhaps the prospect of release has made him
feel guilty
I assume for the prison authorities to make such an announcement and the ccrc to close their files SH's mental state wld have been taken into account?
I think I'm right in saying he fought shy of taking a lie detector test?
I'm sure there will be more to come...
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4548.msg186659.html#msg186659

You were wrong!! As you are in the Bamber case.

"Prospect of release made him feel guilty?" What on earth is that meant to mean Holly?

And please tell me what you think you know about Simon Hall's mental state back then.

What did you mean by "I think I'm right in saying he fought shy of taking a lie detector test." You appear to just pull things out of thin air.

FYI - Lie detector tests are not admissible in a court of law. And psychopaths can pass them, no problem.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:39:15 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
Holly in response to Simon Hall's confession you stated:
I don't know - confused  :-\ :-\ :-\. As Caroline said perhaps the prospect of release has made him
feel guilty
I assume for the prison authorities to make such an announcement and the ccrc to close their files SH's mental state wld have been taken into account?
I think I'm right in saying he fought shy of taking a lie detector test?
I'm sure there will be more to come...
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4548.msg186659.html#msg186659

You were wrong!! As you are in the Bamber case.

"Prospect of release made him feel guilty?" What on earth is that meant to mean Holly?

And please tell me what you think you know about Simon Hall's mental state back then.

What did you mean by "I think I'm right in saying he fought shy of taking a lie detector test." You appear to just pull things out of thin air.

FYI - Lie detector tests are not admissible in a court of law. And psychopaths can pass them, no problem.

Have a read of Stephanie Bon's quite apparent hypocrisy

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4548.msg187623.html#msg187623

and how she used Simon Halls confession to attack me, and others, further.

Her posts were self serving.

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4548.msg187646.html#msg187646

This was highly narcissist behaviour imho.

Her psychological projections laid bare for all to see  8((()*/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:23:28 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »

And why would Simon Hall's brother post this:

"What's the latest on Mr Hall?
Not seen any updates for a while?
Last person I heard from was on Facebook by Mrs Hall.
Anyone know why she disappeared?
Did anything come of Mr Halls appeal for reduced sentence because of abuse he suffered by his adopted Mother and Brother?
After reading most of the posts on here I'm a little confused to why he admitted guilt.
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4548.msg201627.html#msg201627

"I agree. His family were devastated and it really affected them. I cannot speak of his wife as I don't know her but I heard she caused a lot of trouble and even sent fliers out with people's names on she accused of the murder when she knew apparently.
Anyone know what's his current location? http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4548.msg205449.html#msg205449

Simon Hall's immediate family knew all along he was guilty.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:16:53 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
I've attempted to attach a photo of a copy of a letter written by Simon Hall from HMP Wayland. There's no date on the letter, so no idea when it was sent or if it was sent, but the carbon paper has marked the copy I have. So Hall clearly decided to keep a copy in his cell for some reason.

I do recall him telling me (via the recorded prison telephone) his adoptive father would hang up the phone if he tried to ring to speak to his adoptive mother Lynne. This was around the end of 2013, early 2014.

It reads:

A767 8AC Simon Hall
HMP Walland

Dear Lynne and Phil,

If I had children I would never turn my back on them no matter what the situation was. Recent events demonstrate that I have suffered psychological problems for most of my life and they are only going to get worse unless I get the help I need.

The difference between us is that I am sorry for hurting you and bringing a huge cloud of doubt and shame over "The Family." But all you seem to care about is your image and reputation.

Did you think about speaking to Stephanie to see how she was? If you did I'd be surprised because you all hated her and persecuted her when all she wanted was to get your son out of prison.

You're ashamed of me - fair enough, but as much as I love you both, I'm ashamed of you too. You turned your back on me when I needed you the most. I'm obviously not well, but you couldn't give a shit. Instead you remain victims and have not offered any kind of help or support when I clearly need it. Some of my actions are unforgivable, but so are yours.

I will not write again and I have removed the phone number.

True colours always reveal themselves.

Stephanie taught me that.

Simon

Notice how he still uses my name in vein.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:04:25 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »
Yes I admit I was conned by Jeremy even if only about the money.

I also believed until the end that Simon Hall was innocent.  The evidence didn’t point to him. Whose DNA was on the murder weapon? It wasn’t Simons. Also the footprint outside the window he climbed in was of a much smaller shoe size. I often wonder why he confessed so near to the end of his sentence. He could have been released and got on with his life as most people believed he was innocent.

We are going off topic Daisy and will be chastised by the moderators  8(0(* but I'm more than happy to debate either of these cases with you.

Are you saying you still believe Bamber to be innocent, even after he attempted to con you?

The police originally believed the murder of JA had been sexually motivated. Maybe the reason they chose to go with the theory of it being a burglery gone wrong was because it would be easier to prove? Who knows.

There was no DNA found on the murder weapon as far as I am aware. During Simon Hall's confession he asserted he had taken his socks off and used these as gloves. He claimed he looked for the "biggest" knife from his victims drawer in order to "scare her?"

Simon Hall wore office shoes on the night he murdered. His mother lied about the chunky boots. He had small feet but did wear varying sizes at varying times.

Simon Hall confessed because he could no longer sustain the lies. He was extremely angry with me for badgering him over his wealth of discrepancies.

Simon Hall confessed because he could no longer sustain his lies. He was extremely angry with me for badgering him over his wealth of discrepancies and deceitfulness. Add to this the fact he was also being exposed by his older brother, and others - those who know him best - at the material time. The Zenith burglary, drug taking, alleged historic sexual abuse claims, sexual promiscuity, authoritarian parenting, twisted reciprocal relationships, the list goes on Daisy.

Have copied this here Daisy incase you wish to discuss it further.

If you are doubting Simon Hall's confession and are alluding to me making things up, have at it Daisy.

If you think this stance supports your reasoning in the Mark Alexander case, you are only fooling yourself.

Simon Hall chose to confess when he did and he chose to end his life when he did.

He was a dangerous and highly disordered individual.

He'd publicly maintained innocence for over a decade, choosing to keep hidden his real personality.

When his real personality came out he could no longer keep up the charade.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:28:27 AM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »
Have copied this here Daisy incase you wish to discuss it further.

Btw Daisy, I did put together a timeline of events leading up to and following Simon Hall's confession.

https://therealmrshspoofblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/the-burglary-omission-smear-campaign-hindsight/

I appreciate the timeline may appear rather amateur and in need of updating, whether it be because links no longer work or whatever, but it's there none the less.

It doesn't detail everything that went on (there's a wealth of material that hasn't been included) but it does give you some understanding into Simon Hall's character and behaviour at the time, along with the character and behaviour of his brother and others.

https://therealmrshspoofblog.wordpress.com/the-innocence-campaign/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:16:11 AM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2018, 09:56:11 PM »
The Rise and Fall of Rough Justice

54.01 minutes in features the Simon Hall case https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6tDARIM8dI

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »

http://madebysteffieb.co.uk/drowning/

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
Page 3 under Julie Mugford & Elizebeth Rimmington, Bamber refers to "THE Family" - another parallel  *&^^&

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5DLsf0UggyWeUVwcWFTT1JkaEE/view

Which displays NO emotional attachment
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:41:57 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-social-club-manager-scott-doughty-s-sex-assault-trial-to-reopen-in-june-1-5444344

Ipswich man convicted of sexually assaulting two teenage boys

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/scott-doughty-sexual-assault-trial-conviction-1-5710726

"......The only reference of this suggestion during trial was when Scott Doughty (Pub landlord) had been asked to tell the court if he and SH had kissed. Apparently Scott lied and said no. Yet there was evidence from other witnesses which supported this claim, like for example an ex girlfriends of SH's who had stated they broke up weeks before the murder because she believed SH was having sex with Scott.
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8112.msg383924.html?PHPSESSID=p74ebt045d1tnkvbgm9qe53pb7#msg383924

Following his confession, Simon Hall disclosed he regularly watched gay pornography and had sex with then pub landlord Scott Doughty in return for drugs.

Appears to me Scott Doughty's evidence during the murder trial of JA was fabricated in order to protect his own self interests? What other reason would a witness for the prosecution lie during a murder trial of a defenceless 79 year old lady and what type of person would do this? What were his motivations for doing so?

Did Simon Hall lie about having sex with Scott Doughty for drugs? Was his ex girlfriend wrong in her belief her then boyfriend was having a homosexual relationship and ultimately betraying her? It was her young son who Simon Hall was accused of assaulting. This was another allegation he admitted to before his suicide.

"All the way through the investigation and also the trial, Simon remained helpful and calm and surely at such a traumatic time one would expect temper and frustration to show if naturally there. Also throughout all his time in prison, on remand and now, Simon is described by the prison staff as a model prisoner. http://web.archive.org/web/20080511202109/http://justice4simon.co.uk/whyIsSimonInnocent.php
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8112.msg383930.html?PHPSESSID=p74ebt045d1tnkvbgm9qe53pb7#msg383930
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:46:23 PM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »
Ipswich man convicted of sexually assaulting two teenage boys

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/scott-doughty-sexual-assault-trial-conviction-1-5710726

"......The only reference of this suggestion during trial was when Scott Doughty (Pub landlord) had been asked to tell the court if he and SH had kissed. Apparently Scott lied and said no. Yet there was evidence from other witnesses which supported this claim, like for example an ex girlfriends of SH's who had stated they broke up weeks before the murder because she believed SH was having sex with Scott.
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8112.msg383924.html?PHPSESSID=p74ebt045d1tnkvbgm9qe53pb7#msg383924

Following his confession, Simon Hall disclosed he regularly watched gay pornography and had sex with then pub landlord Scott Doughty in return for drugs.

Appears to me Scott Doughty's evidence during the murder trial of JA was fabricated in order to protect his own self interests? What other reason would a witness for the prosecution lie during a murder trial of a defenceless 79 year old lady and what type of person would do this? What were his motivations for doing so?

Did Simon Hall lie about having sex with Scott Doughty for drugs? Was his ex girlfriend wrong in her belief her then boyfriend was having a homosexual relationship and ultimately betraying her? It was her young son who Simon Hall was accused of assaulting. This was another allegation he admitted to before his suicide.

"All the way through the investigation and also the trial, Simon remained helpful and calm and surely at such a traumatic time one would expect temper and frustration to show if naturally there. Also throughout all his time in prison, on remand and now, Simon is described by the prison staff as a model prisoner. http://web.archive.org/web/20080511202109/http://justice4simon.co.uk/whyIsSimonInnocent.php
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8112.msg383930.html?PHPSESSID=p74ebt045d1tnkvbgm9qe53pb7#msg383930

Did Scott Doughty lie about his sexual relationship with Simon Hall in order to protect his reputation? Was he afraid his drug dealing activities may be uncovered? Or was it a combination of both?

How was Scott Doughty able to live with the fact he'd lied to police during ther investigation and lied during a murder trial?

How did he feel during those 12 years Simon Hall maintained innocence? Why didn't he speak out publicly? Did he tell his friends what he knew? His mum, his partner etc?

Teenage boys’ sexual assault claims refuted by accused Ipswich man

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/scott-doughty-sexual-assault-trial-begins-1-5708905
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:21:00 AM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
"Tiernan is then to be congratulated that rather than be silenced by this outrageous withdrawal of his paper from the journal, he has made it publicly available, with a short commentary on the story of how he was driven to this action.

I highly recommend that all those interested in forensic science and justice read the report. It demonstrates clearly how not only are people being wrongly convicted using flawed forensic science, but that even when discovery of flawed scientific conclusions are aired, it may not be enough to win freedom for the wrongly convicted. It is a salutary tale for those convinced that forensic science will end miscarriages of justice. It is also illuminating that while some in the forensic community wish to work to strengthen the scientific basis of their work, and share mistakes and assist in research, there are elements of the community that remain strongly resistant. This cannot be allowed to happen if progress is to be made.
https://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2012/page/30/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275537164_WITHDRAWN_The_case_of_Simon_Hall

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1355030612000020

"A Freedom of Information request by the BBC suggested increasing problems with forensic work since the Forensic Science Service (FSS) was shut down in 2012 to save money.

The FSS was replaced by a mixture of private and police-run laboratories.
Last year saw a spike in the number of complaints made about the quality of work by lawyers or police officers to seven - up from three in 2013 and one in 2012.

The BBC has also learned the Met routinely uses laboratories that do not meet the ISO 17025 gold standard accreditation, leading forensic experts to warn about the potential for miscarriages of justice.

Tiernan Coyle, chief scientist at private laboratory Contact Traces, warned the drop in fibre experts meant so much expertise has been lost that the Dobson evidence may not have been found, were the Lawrence case subjected to a cold case review today

Mr Coyle, who worked on both the Lawrence and Damilola Taylor cases, said: "You need a body of expertise in the country available to do fibre work - we are at a skeleton crew level.
"Any further loss would see the country lose its fibre expertise altogether. Our staffing levels are at dangerously low levels."

He warned many police are not routinely recovering fibres as they used to, while some police forces now use non-scientific personnel to decide the forensic approach.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33155235
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:25:49 AM by Stephanie »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2021, 12:29:09 PM »
I found the info re Hall's previous. 

Prosecutor Simon Spence revealed that Hall had previously been sentenced to a total of 17 months at a young offenders' institute for assault causing actual bodily harm and wounding. He was sentenced at Bury St Edmund's Crown Court in June 1997.

He said the assault conviction, which had incurred eight months of the sentence, had happened when Hall approached a young man called Martin Russell in McDonalds in Ipswich, pushed him and asked: "What's all this about your dad accusing me of doing it in his car?"

The victim was left with cuts to his ear needing two stitches, a grazed chin and a cracked tooth on January 13, 1997.

Mr Spence added that on January 6, 1997, Hall lay in wait for a man called Stefan Bell outside a doctor's surgery in Ipswich. He went up and said hello, then for no reason punched him in the face and continued kicking him when he fell to the ground, while a co-defendant hit him over the head with a bottle.

After today's murder verdict, Mrs Justice Rafferty said: "Only one sentence is permitted by law and that is life imprisonment."

But she ordered reports to be prepared before officially proclaiming the sentence.

EX-GIRLFRIEND TELLS OF MOOD SWINGS AND VIOLENCE – two pages of background on the killer and his victim only in TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/life-behind-bars-for-capel-killer-1-132809

So Hall was 19 yoa when he first carried out acts of violence which escalated to murder by the time he was 24 yoa.

Simon Spence is mentioned here also https://theerrorsthatplaguethemiscarriageofjusticemovement.home.blog/2021/12/19/wrongful-convictions-miscarriages-of-justice-innocence-fraud-whats-the-difference/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 12:34:17 PM by Nicholas »