Author Topic: Jeremy Bamber - Crime, Hearts and Coronets.  (Read 44711 times)

Offline APRIL

Re: Jeremy Bamber - Crime, Hearts and Coronets.
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
Fair point, I understand and accept the valid point you have made. Personally, I see it differently as anyone with capacity for that basic human emotion of empathy can vouch for the fortunate start he had in life, including myself who also benefited from a luckier start than most. And we know what to call that individual who, like Bamber, is incapable of any empathy at all for others.

In agreement with your last sentence, If he had felt as strongly as you suggest there are other ways of protesting to his family.

Just a point, and I have no way of verifying it. I wonder how much empathy was shown to either Sheila or Jeremy. There seemed to have been a mould into which they were both required to fit -to establish them as being Bambers?- and it seemed not to have been a major consideration that they may not want to/couldn't. They HAD to. End of?

Offline steve_trousers

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
Good morning April. I'm not sure. It is a good point and one I have not pondered before.

I doubt whether it was quite the be all or end all that he absolutely had to work on the farm come what may.

For example had Jeremy shown his mum and dad a payslip that showed he had sufficient talent to make it in life elsewhere I doubt they would have stood in his way, certainly Nevill appears to have been a pragmatic type.

But he didn't, quite the opposite really. His dreams of being a frogman or whatever it was were snuffed out early on, and Nevill could see the farm as the best way forward for him. What else was he going to do? Just as many parents try to usher their children into the family business thinking they know best for them.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
Good morning April. I'm not sure. It is a good point and one I have not pondered before.

I doubt whether it was quite the be all or end all that he absolutely had to work on the farm come what may.

For example had Jeremy shown his mum and dad a payslip that showed he had sufficient talent to make it in life elsewhere I doubt they would have stood in his way, certainly Nevill appears to have been a pragmatic type.

But he didn't, quite the opposite really. His dreams of being a frogman or whatever it was were snuffed out early on, and Nevill could see the farm as the best way forward for him. What else was he going to do? Just as many parents try to usher their children into the family business thinking they know best for them.

Hello S_T and Happy Bank Holiday Weekend. We have a distinct difference of opinion here. I'm inclined to think that Jeremy's sole purpose -the one designated for him- was to take over the running of the farm. We see him trying his hand at all sorts of everything RATHER than knuckling down to working on the farm whilst Nevill bided his time waiting for the boy to come to his senses? There is  an acceptance by SOME parents of adopted children that, out of a sense of gratitude, their children will fulfill roles that they had planned for biological children. I strongly feel that ANY vocational work (and I believe farming is such) undertaken is something -a need?- that's felt gut deep. I don't believe Jeremy ever had the desire to farm, other than from a lucrative aspect. Not for a moment is this something I hold against him. Being square pegs in round holes is extremely uncomfortable. MOST of those who find themselves in such a situation, DON'T kill in order to extricate themselves.

Offline steve_trousers

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
Yes it must have been daunting the prospect of taking over from Nevill when he clearly wasn't 'up' for the farming life. Farming appears to be the last thing he wanted to do. And although certainly no midget I don't see Jeremy as built for physical back breaking work like Nevill either.

Having grown up with my natural parents, I'm sure it is difficult for adopted children in ways it's difficult to realise until you have been in their shoes. You too happy bank holiday.

Offline Myster

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
Yes it must have been daunting the prospect of taking over from Nevill when he clearly wasn't 'up' for the farming life. Farming appears to be the last thing he wanted to do. And although certainly no midget I don't see Jeremy as built for physical back breaking work like Nevill either.

Having grown up with my natural parents, I'm sure it is difficult for adopted children in ways it's difficult to realise until you have been in their shoes. You too happy bank holiday.

He is now, after thirty years of free gym membership and looking forward to buying that elusive farm on the proceeds of his autobio.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline steve_trousers

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »
That's true. According to his blog apparently he always loved farming life and in particular misses the spring plough  http://jeremybamber.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Myster

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
That's true. According to his blog apparently he always loved farming life and in particular misses the spring plough  http://jeremybamber.blogspot.co.uk/

Think I'd have gone all Fotherington-Thomas, cooped up in an 8 by 6 cell for thirty odd years and reminiscing on what might have been had I not been so stupid. It's enough to drive anyone dafferdowndoolally.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.