Author Topic: Why was a man who was mobile receiving a full care package?  (Read 17083 times)

Offline Daisy

Why was a man who was mobile receiving a full care package?
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
Dad was admitted to hospital on 23rd May 2008 for a colostomy operation.  It took him a good 6 months to recover and I put off plans to move to London that year so that I could be there for him and nurse him back to health.

“Mark looked after his dad and did all the shopping.  He was always there.  He seemed to be concerned about his father’s poor health.  I thought it was an admirable relationship; Mark was doing his studies and looking after his father.  He was incredibly attentive towards him” JPi
“Mark had been commuting from his home on a pretty much daily basis to care for his dad who was bedridden and needed Mark for things like changing his colostomy bag.  Sami told me that he found it frustrating that Mark had to do everything for him.  I was impressed with how well Mark coped with his situation.” SN

Once I had got him back on his feet he was in much better spirits and could be seen driving, bricklaying, and fence post fixing.  As the Honourable Judge Reddihough noted in his sentencing remarks, “There is clear evidence before the court that by the time of this offence Sami had made a reasonably good recovery from the illness he had suffered.”

“I saw Sami and told him I thought he looked much better.  He thanked me and said that he felt much better, in fact he said, a lot, lot better.”KS
“It appears that (Sami) misrepresented his health status to Adult Social Care.  It is possible (that he) may have fraudulently secured Direct Payments having given incomplete information about his income.” Serious Case Review – May 2011.

By 2009 dad was employing cleaners and housekeepers rather than ‘carers’ per se.  Service users “have flexibility over the way that the money is spent and what types of service/ support they purchase in order to meet their assessed needs.”  This could cover anything from cooking meals to doing the shopping, so could be very broadly interpreted.  The Serious Case Review noted one respondent who “declined to take up Samuel’s advert for a person assistant to help with care-giving, reflecting that “he wanted a slave, not a carer.”

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:36:19 AM by John »

Offline John

Re: Why was a man who was mobile receiving a full care package?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
By 2009 dad was employing cleaners and housekeepers rather than ‘carers’ per se.  Service users “have flexibility over the way that the money is spent and what types of service/ support they purchase in order to meet their assessed needs.”  This could cover anything from cooking meals to doing the shopping, so could be very broadly interpreted.  The Serious Case Review noted one respondent who “declined to take up Samuel’s advert for a person assistant to help with care-giving, reflecting that “he wanted a slave, not a carer.”

So if Sami was employing these people what did he tell them before his disappearance?

....or as I suspect, none of these people have been identified?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
So if Sami was employing these people what did he tell them before his disappearance?

....or as I suspect, none of these people have been identified?

Well Social Services were aware of this person so there were obviously others who replied to his advert. More to follow on this subject.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:52:47 PM by Daisy »

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
Well Social Services were aware of this person so there were obviously others who replied to his advert. More to follow on this subject.

Wasn't it a case that Sami, like many elderly people, didn't want strangers in his home so avoided employing people.  Isn't that also the real reason why Mark did the caring for his father when he was recuperating and not properly trained carers?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
Wasn't it a case that Sami, like many elderly people, didn't want strangers in his home so avoided employing people.  Isn't that also the real reason why Mark did the caring for his father when he was recuperating and not properly trained carers?

On the other hand, he could have used 'slave labour'  rife in the 'care' industry. The 'gang masters' could have killed Sami?  Yes, fantastic I know but still it is a theory.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
On the other hand, he could have used 'slave labour'  rife in the 'care' industry. The 'gang masters' could have killed Sami?  Yes, fantastic I know but still it is a theory.

We know so little about how Sami led his life, and with whom he associated, that anything seems possible !!

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »

His son would have known.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »

We know so little about how Sami led his life, and with whom he associated, that anything seems possible !!

There are lots of mysteries and it appears Sami led a double life which Mark wasn't even aware of.  I was really hoping someone from the Drayton Parslow area would see this board.  There are people out there who know something - it is just finding them which is the problem.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
His son would have known.

Really? Hmm My sister didn't know her husband was having an affair with their neighbour for 5 years!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
Really? Hmm My sister didn't know her husband was having an affair with their neighbour for 5 years!

lucky neighbour     @)(++(*  but then I assume they weren't doing it in the garden by the garage?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
Clearly, Sami was receiving a full care package but wasn't employing anyone to care for him in the latter days of his life.  Question is, was this out of choice or had control been taken away from him?

Offline Daisy

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 07:03:55 AM »
Clearly, Sami was receiving a full care package but wasn't employing anyone to care for him in the latter days of his life.  Question is, was this out of choice or had control been taken away from him?

We haven't got a definitive date when careers were last seen going into the house.

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »
We haven't got a definitive date when careers were last seen going into the house.

Had there been a carer or carers in place at the time of Sami's murder they would have reported him missing or been told by the client that their services were not required because he was going away for a while.  Carers working in the community are trained to observe unusual occurrences with elderly people in their care.  Had a carer turned up and found Sami missing he or she's first port of call would have been the neighbours and then the police.  This never happened so it was unlikely that there was any carer looking after Sami.  Certainly there is no evidence that anyone was attending him at the time of his death despite receiving a full care package.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:43:00 PM by John »

Offline Daisy

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
Had there been a carer or carers in place at the time of Sami's murder they would have reported him missing or been told by the client that their services were not required because he was going away for a while.  Carers working in the community are trained to observe unusual occurrences with elderly people in their care.  Had a carer turned up and found Sami missing he or she's first port of call would have been the neighbours and then the police.  This never happened so it was unlikely that there was any carer looking after Sami.  Certainly there is no evidence that anyone was attending him at the time of his death despite receiving a full care package.

I disagree. The carers answered Samis advert in the paper. As they were being paid cash in hand they certainly wouldn't risk being prosecuted for not paying tax or national insurance  so this is why they didn't report anything. They would have gone looking for the next job to make some ready cash. The neighbours have already said they saw carers going in and out as I have stated in previous posts

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

I disagree. The carers answered Samis advert in the paper. As they were being paid cash in hand they certainly wouldn't risk being prosecuted for not paying tax or national insurance  so this is why they didn't report anything. They would have gone looking for the next job to make some ready cash. The neighbours have already said they saw carers going in and out as I have stated in previous posts

And, I know it isn't nice to say this, but if Sami was a difficult man, and did not treat his carers well, perhaps they were somewhat relieved not to find him in, and were none too bothered about where he might have gone. They were free to find a better job.