Author Topic: Would a second referendum or peoples vote achieve anything?  (Read 15479 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Would a second referendum or peoples vote achieve anything?
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »
Legally, yes. Morally? I would say not. They are, after all, 'Honourable' members.
They should do what is best fir the country ...anything else is stupid... Hopefully that's brexit

Offline Erngath

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
They should do what is best fir the country ...anything else is stupid... Hopefully that's brexit

Do you believe they have a clue what is best for the country?
It doesn't appear to me that they do.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »
Why do you always have to be so aggressive and frankly paranoid sounding?  I have no agenda whatsoever, any more than you do anyway.   What exactly are you accusing me of?  Being a lover of illegal immigrants or something?  Did you not notice my use of inverted commas around the phrase “asylum seekers”?   Try not to be so facetious, insulting and childish, we’d get along much better as a result I’m sure.

If you want to read my posts in a fashion that suits you, fair enough!  You ask questions then do not like the answer so you jump in with others to cry out and name call.

The very point I make is not in anger or aggresive as you read it. It is with sadness that such situations arise. However, being a realist and having to make real descisions based on facts not on twitter accounts by the good and great is:  This country is not big enough, we do not have the infrastructure in place, the people do not have the heart to be pushed out of  their communities, the country does not have the financial pull to provide homes and education and free health care for millions (trust me there are many countries with starving people-like Africa). This is the real issue. offering a share of bread to those who seek food, but what to you expect to happen when those same people take all the bread? yes-Brexit  or Nazis get hold.

I am accused of being a rascist and a bigot only for explaining situations which I played no part in bringing about.
I readily await the solution from those who claim not to be ignorant of facts, or to face realities as they present themselves.

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »

They all claim that what they support is best for the country, but they can't all be right. It seems to me that those who think the economy is the most important are willing to compromise on democracy and cultural identity, but these things are very important to others.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2019, 12:48:17 PM »
Do you believe they have a clue what is best for the country?
It doesn't appear to me that they do.

I think some do... But many may not... But we elected them

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
They all claim that what they support is best for the country, but they can't all be right. It seems to me that those who think the economy is the most important are willing to compromise on democracy and cultural identity, but these things are very important to others.

Brexit does give  those who believed, ruled us and not served us, a huge shock- make no mistake.
scare mongering from both sides is disgraceful. it does show up the fear and anger of those who have much to lose. The gravy train has all but stopped.

Great Britain is not so great anymore. it has become a soft PC pandering gang of luvvies.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »

Brexit does give  those who believed, ruled us and not served us, a huge shock- make no mistake.
scare mongering from both sides is disgraceful. it does show up the fear and anger of those who have much to lose. The gravy train has all but stopped.

Great Britain is not so great anymore. it has become a soft PC pandering gang of luvvies.

The first slap in the face was to Labour when Corbyn was elected leader. Then the referendum. Then May's general election. They created a divided angry population and they must face the consequences.
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2019, 02:03:46 PM »
The first slap in the face was to Labour when Corbyn was elected leader. Then the referendum. Then May's general election. They created a divided angry population and they must face the consequences.

I Agree G.

I predicted civil/unrest/ war in this country 10 years ago in an essay I wrote. After witnessing positive discrimination at play- which in my opinion is just as bad as negative descrimination!

The politicians are running scared as they will lose control.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
If you want to read my posts in a fashion that suits you, fair enough!  You ask questions then do not like the answer so you jump in with others to cry out and name call.

The very point I make is not in anger or aggresive as you read it. It is with sadness that such situations arise. However, being a realist and having to make real descisions based on facts not on twitter accounts by the good and great is:  This country is not big enough, we do not have the infrastructure in place, the people do not have the heart to be pushed out of  their communities, the country does not have the financial pull to provide homes and education and free health care for millions (trust me there are many countries with starving people-like Africa). This is the real issue. offering a share of bread to those who seek food, but what to you expect to happen when those same people take all the bread? yes-Brexit  or Nazis get hold.

I am accused of being a rascist and a bigot only for explaining situations which I played no part in bringing about.
I readily await the solution from those who claim not to be ignorant of facts, or to face realities as they present themselves.
Over and over again you accuse me of hurts I have allegedly caused you.  If you would like to provide the evidence of me calling you a racist bigot then kindly post it here.  Otherwise kindly refrain from haranguing me for things I have not written, many thanks.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2019, 05:43:07 PM »
Legally, yes. Morally? I would say not. They are, after all, 'Honourable' members.

I'd normally agree but not in this case.

What I find immoral is that:
-  the fact that it was simply advisory was apparently not on the leaflet that I've never seen;

- there was a campaign based on stoking up fear, anger and polarization;

- the referendum idea was launched at all, before having thought it through, by Cameron;

- May set off the fuse of Art 50 so soon, before any studies had been made as to the impact of various options;.

- it was originally to solve a "catfight within the Conservative party" (Verhofstadt), but which has huge and long-lasting consequences for the vast majority of UK citizens;

- it has divided not only traditional parties (which makes the situation impossible to manage), but is stoking antagonism amongst the nations of the Union and even families and friends (and I can make a wild guess as to whose agenda that might fit into);

- Corbyn is so set on his "vision" that Brexit is just a fly on the dinner table;

- many UK politicians continue to spout total rubbish (e.g. Art 24 of the GATT) when I find it incomprensible that any MP, let alone (cabinet ministers or MEPS)*, could continue to do so - pure Trumpism.

For all these reasons and I could add to them, I really do think that this shambolic situation is a mockery of democracy.

I don't expect others with a very different view to agree, but please don't shout. ;)

Typo: replaced repeating MPs by (cabinet ministers or MEPS).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:46:11 PM by Carana »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
I'd normally agree but not in this case.

What I find immoral is that:
-  the fact that it was simply advisory was apparently not on the leaflet that I've never seen;

- there was a campaign based on stoking up fear, anger and polarization;

- the referendum idea was launched at all, before having thought it through, by Cameron;

- May set off the fuse of Art 50 so soon, before any studies had been made as to the impact of various options;.

- it was originally to solve a "catfight within the Conservative party" (Verhofstadt), but which has huge and long-lasting consequences for the vast majority of UK citizens;

- it has divided not only traditional parties (which makes the situation impossible to manage), but is stoking antagonism amongst the nations of the Union and even families and friends (and I can make a wild guess as to whose agenda that might fit into);

- Corbyn is so set on his "vision" that Brexit is just a fly on the dinner table;

- many UK politicians continue to spout total rubbish (e.g. Art 24 of the GATT) when I find it incomprensible that any MP, let alone MP, could continue to do so - pure Trumpism.
- tht

For all these reasons and I could add to them, I really do think that this shambolic situation is a mockery of democracy.

I don't expect others with a very different view to agree, but please don't shout. ;)

Whatever their reasons the politicians asked the people to decide and they obliged. The politicians misjudged it and some want another try. All the 'reasons' given I see as excuses. The politicians got it wrong and must live with the consequences of their stupidity in my opinion.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
Whatever their reasons the politicians asked the people to decide and they obliged. The politicians misjudged it and some want another try. All the 'reasons' given I see as excuses. The politicians got it wrong and must live with the consequences of their stupidity in my opinion.
Why is it OK to call the politicians stupid but not those who voted leave?  Whatever, we will all have to live with the consequences of such stupidity, what a crying shame.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:11 PM »

I don't think the politicians got it wrong.  More to the point, the people didn't do as they were told.  How dare thy not.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »

I hope the consequences of their stupidity are not consequences that those who elected them have to live with.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »

Politcians come and go. They can disappear tomorrow and tend to their gardens. However, they (of whichever camp) have influenced people to vote on consequences that will affect themselves, but also their kids and grandchldren.

I don't fiind accepting "mistruths"  to be repeated without challenge as to the factual basis to be worthy of a 1st world country.

A few have since done... in the past couple of weeks. Too little, too late.  IMO: