https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/funding-of-investigations-into-the-disappearance-of-madeleine-mccann
Home Office
See more information about this FOI release
FOI release
Home Office funding towards the investigations into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann from 2011 to 2014
Published 28 November 2014
Contents
FOI release 33146
The Home Office has provided The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) £1.9m in 2011/12, £2.8m in 2012/13 and £2.6m in 2013/14.
We expect the costs for 2014/15 to be broadly in line with previous years. The Home Office have paid £639k so far in 2014/15 towards the costs of this investigation.
The costs of the operation are regularly reviewed to ensure they are proportionate.
They have reduced the number of detectives deployed, so they must have reduced their activities.
The overall numbers are not reduced however.
Which suggests to me that most of the detective work which was required has been done ... and the detectives have been replaced by other skilled personnel. So no need to get worried about a reduction in capability.
I am not worried about it. Presumably they will staff up in accordance with the demands of the activities to be carried out. But generally if the expenditure is going down then the manhours will go down accordingly. Which as you say suggests the back of the "leg work" is broken. I am not sure it means they [detectives] have been replaced by "others" though.
Lower cost clerical staff, I believe.This is great news for all those "sceptics" who have voiced concern about the spiralling costs of Op Grange n'est ce pas?
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.
Who knows? We may even have a resolution to Madeleine's case and I think as far as that is concerned, things are looking good.
That I very much doubt, though I'll be surprised if funding goes beyond the life of this government.
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.And won't it be marvellous when they stop spending any further money on trying to find Madeleine - won't that be a happy day for you and all your fellow "sceptics"!
I would much prefer that they spent 'Fund' money than taxpayer money. Perhaps the McCanns would like to pay the current balance over to SY.Why would or should they? Do you wish to encourage the privatisation of police investigations?
No, but as they have funds available for the precise purpose of searching for Madeleine they could contribute it to the common cause.They could, or they could use the funds to continue the search if the Met's investigation fails to find Madeleine, or they could donate it to charity. Whatever they do decide to do with it though, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be met with mockery and snorts of derision from the "sceptic" fraternity.
Facts and figures on Operation Grange. Plus comparisons.
FROM OTHER POSTERS
---------------------------------------------------
FOI release published 28 November 2014. Home Office funding towards the investigations into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann:
"The Home Office has provided The Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) £1.9m in 2011/12, £2.8m in 2012/13 and £2.6m in 2013/14. We expect the costs for 2014/15 to be broadly in line with previous years."
In other words the funding for this fiscal year will be circa £2.4 million, meaning an eye-watering total spend by April 2015 of £9.7 million of public money - on just one missing person case; crime undetermined (if any); the event most probably having occurred in a foreign jurisdiction.
A total and complete waste of taxpayers money, when Police and crime investigation resources in the UK are being stretched to the absolute limit through Government cutbacks.
And (before any cultic fanatic tries to state the blinding, bleeding, obvious) if it was my child, lost through my own negligent and selfish activities in a foreign country, no I would not expect the UK public purse to fund an apparently unending investigation into the disappearance.
==============================================
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/west-mercia-police-murder-case-6838109
The cost of murder: Force forks out £2.5m on just FIVE cases
Mar 16, 2014 11:34 By Nick McCarthy
West Mercia Police spend fortune in bid to track down killers and see justice done
A Midland police force has spent more than £2.5 million on just FIVE murder investigations in the last five years.
The cases were the most expensive investigated by West Mercia Police, according to figures obtained by the Sunday Mercury.
The most money spent was £900,000 on bringing three Birmingham killers to justice for the brutal killing of a sub-postmaster in January 2009.
The investigation led to the successful prosecution of the killers of Craig Hodson-Walker, murdered during a botched armed raid
West Mercia Police, who supplied the Sunday Mercury with the investigation costs, said the £878,000 spent on the police inquiry did not include the court costs, or the costs from other forces.
2 The second most expensive case was the investigation into the murder of a traveller from Surrey, whose body has never been found.
3 Another £271,000 was spent on the investigation into the killing of a convicted sex offender who died in a flat fire in Worcester in December 2011.
4 The force also spent more than £277,000 on hunting down Andrew Bayliss, who launched a fatal assault on Mohammed Arshad in his taxi.
Bayliss, from Kings Norton was jailed for a minimum of 30 years in 2011.
5 West Mercia Police also spent £257,000 on catching the man who murdered Betty Yates and the Rev John Suddards from Gloucestershire.
Birmingham-born former teacher Betty was found dead at her country cottage near Bewdley, Worcestershire, in January 2012.
APOLOGIES - I know this is a long article, but it does put into context how much is being spent, in real terms, on this utter farce. A major police force where their most expensive murder investigations average out at £0.5m apiece.
So the Met has already spent more than the equivalent of 20 murder investigations on one cold case in another country with a net result of no girl, no body and no arrests
Just to put it in perspective, that is roughly the cost of 1,500 hip replacements.
Edited to add - I have edited this article, please see original for full list.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how can anyone justify the money spent on OPERATION GRANGE , which has found ZIP ?
The cost is very easily justified but you wouldn't understand...why don't you write to your MP
Well justify the costs.
Otherwise your words are meaningless. %£&)**# %£&)**# %£&)**#
read my post again
I do wonder how the faithful think the 'search' can be furthered if SY and the PJ, with all the resources they have access to, can't solve the mystery.
To a certain extent I agree.........but let's first see if SY are allowed...by the Portuguese.....to complete their investigation
I don't need to.
YOUR REPLY CARRIES NO WEIGHT.
It is £10,000,000 down the pan with no results.
That money should have spent on people who needed it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11261842/Cost-of-Madeleine-McCann-inquiry-set-to-reach-10-million.html
Snipped from the above article.
Detectives are believed to be carrying out a page-by-page review of evidence in an attempt to throw light on new leads, in the hope that a breakthrough is still possible.
I thought they did that already. @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*
You mean they are investigating only the possibility of abduction?
What an awful waste of public funds. Im glad I dont live in the uk if this is how money is wasted these days.
same no disrespect to maddie but there are other missing children in the uk are there not?
Indeed. The publicity surrounding this disappearance has highlighted that fact.I tend to agree Carana
There are also British children who were abused in Portugal and the perp never caught. Whether or not there is any connection, the investigation may help to find that creep - who may strike again, wherever he may be.
Or do you disagree?
Indeed. The publicity surrounding this disappearance has highlighted that fact.
There are also British children who were abused in Portugal and the perp never caught. Whether or not there is any connection, the investigation may help to find that creep - who may strike again, wherever he may be.
Or do you disagree?
Benice has told us that cleaning chewing gum off our streets every year costs us around £60m.SIXTY MILLION POUNDS![/b]!!
If you think about that very carefully it puts the cost of investigating the disappearance of a little girl into some sort of perspective.
As a direct result of the appeal for information in Madeleine's case, people who were abused as children in Portugal while on holiday might get some justice.
At the least they have been given a sympathetic hearing and more importantly have been believed instead of being called liars by those who have been in denial that such a thing had ever happened to them.
I figure much bandied about on here.
I would like to know who calculated this sum of nearly 2 million a day, as I, for one, find it very difficult to believe.
Does that not equate to £164,383 a day. I apologize and please correct me, if I misunderstood your post.
I figure much bandied about on here.
I would like to know who calculated this sum of nearly 2 million a day, as I, for one, find it very difficult to believe.
Woops, yes , out by a factor of 10. More like a million and a bit each week.
I really don't suppose, however, that street-cleaning budgets are broken down to specifically identify the cost of chewing gum.
Just to put some perspective on the money being spent on SY's investigation.Would you like there to have been an amount set aside for the investigation, which when it ran out would mean investigation over? And if so, how much would you deem the correct amount to spend?
The Chilcot Inquiry into the 2003 invasion of Iraq has taken six years to date and has cost £10 million. It is nearing its completion.
The SY review and investigation has has taken 4 years and has cost an estimated £10 million. There is no end in sight.
How can more money being spent on the McCann investigation be justified ? Is it time to say enough ?
Just to put some perspective on the money being spent on SY's investigation.
The Chilcot Inquiry into the 2003 invasion of Iraq has taken six years to date and has cost £10 million. It is nearing its completion.
The SY review and investigation has has taken 4 years and has cost an estimated £10 million. There is no end in sight.
How can more money being spent on the McCann investigation be justified ? Is it time to say enough ?