Author Topic: Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.  (Read 7463 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John

Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
• Stephen Downing was jailed for 27 years for the murder of typist Wendy Sewell in Bakewell. But his conviction was quashed in 2002 after a campaign by local journalist Don Hale, who said Mr Downing had been interviewed without legal representation and the confession he signed had been written out by a police officer.

• Stefan Kiszko served 16 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the 1975 murder of schoolgirl Lesley Molseed, 11, in West Yorkshire. He was freed on appeal in 1992. Ronald Castree was jailed for life for the murder in 2007 after his DNA was found to match samples taken from Lesley's clothes.

• Barry George went through two trials for the murder of TV presenter Jill Dando and was eventually acquitted of the charge in August last year, eight years after he was jailed for the crime.

• Derek Bentley, 19, was hanged for involvement in the murder of Pc Sidney Miles in 1953. His family campaigned to clear his name, saying he had severe learning difficulties and the mental age of 11. In 1998 his conviction was overturned by the Court of Appeal because the original trial judge had misdirected the jury on points of law.

• Judith Ward spent 18 years in jail for the deaths of 12 people aboard an army coach blown up on the M62 in February 1973. Her conviction was quashed in 1992 after her lawyers argued the trial jury should have been told of her history of mental illness. Three Appeal Court judges concluded Ms Ward's conviction had been 'secured by ambush' and said that government forensic scientists withheld vital information.

• Winston Silcott was cleared of murdering Pc Keith Blakelock during the 1985 Broadwater Farm riots in Tottenham after new evidence came to light when he had served six years in prison. He was not released until 2003 as he was also serving a second life sentence for the murder of boxer Tony Smith in East London in 1984 in what he has always claimed was self-defence.

• Baby-sitter Suzanne Holdsworth served three years of a life sentence after she was convicted in 2005 of murdering Kyle Fisher, a neighbour's two-year-old son, by repeatedly banging his head against a wooden bannister at her home in Hartlepool. She was found not guilty in a retrial last year by the Court of Appeal after new medical evidence suggested Kyle may have died from an epileptic seizure.

• Angela Cannings was jailed for life in 2002 for murdering her two baby sons but freed the following year after her conviction was overturned by the Court of Appeal. Mrs Cannings from Salisbury, Wiltshire, was convicted of the murder of seven-week-old Jason in 1991, and 18-week-old Matthew in 1999. She always maintained that the two boys died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), or cot death.

• Solicitor Sally Clark was also jailed for murdering her two baby sons, and cleared by the Court of Appeal in 2003. The mother, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, had always protested her innocence since being jailed for life in November 1999 at Chester Crown Court. She was convicted of smothering 11-week-old Christopher in December 1996 and shaking eight-week-old Harry to death in January 1998. In 2007 she was found dead at her home, her family said that she had never recovered from her ordeal.



A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Outlook

Re: Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:30:32 AM »
There is also the Birmingham six and Macguire Seven and Guildford 4.  Members may find this document of interest:

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/conferences/medicine/schurr.pdf

The Colin Stagg case is also interesting as although he was not convicted he easily could have been had the Judge not had the common sense to throw the evidence out pre-trial.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:35:35 AM by Outlook »

Padgates staff

  • Guest
Re: Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
We have mentioned some of these before!

•   the Darvell brothers

•   Danny McNamee

•   the M25 Three

•   Ryan James

•   Jonathan Jones

•   Sheila Bowler

•   Christy Walsh case

•   Danny Morrison (writer)

•   Gerry Magee

•   Robert Green, Henry Berry and Lawrence Hill were hanged in 1679 at Greenberry Hill on false evidence for the unsolved murder of Edmund Berry Godfrey.


•   Adolph Beck, whose notorious wrongful conviction in 1896, because of mistaken identity, led to the creation of the Court of Criminal Appeal.

•   John Alexander Dickman was wrongfully convicted of the murder of John Nisbet on 6 July 1910, and sentenced to death, on purely circumstantial evidence, and on the basis of an ID parade where the witness was tainted. The Home Secretary of the time, Winston Churchill, took a keen interest in the case, and he expressed doubts about the evidence. A campaign was run to free Dickman, but John Dickman was hanged in Newcastle Prison on 10 August 1910. In 1925 a person called "Condor" confessed to killing John Nisbet. The document of 40,000 words spread over 205 pages was sent to Truth Magazine. The document was sent on to the Home Office but they refused to order the police to investigate it.

•   William Herbert Wallace who was convicted of murdering his wife, but the conviction was overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeal in 1931, the first such instance of a capital conviction being quashed.

•   Walter Graham Rowland was tried for a murder in Manchester and hanged in 1947, despite poor identification evidence and a confession from another.

Padgates staff

  • Guest
Re: Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
•   Timothy Evans's wife and young daughter were killed in 1949. Evans was convicted of the murder of his daughter and was hanged in 1950. An official inquiry conducted 15 years later determined that the real killer of Evans's daughter had been Evans's co-tenant, serial killer John Reginald Halliday Christie. Christie was also responsible for the death of Evans's wife, his own wife, and six other women. He was the chief witness against Evans at his trial because the police accepted all of his statements as fact. The police were incompetent in their several searches of the house at Rillington Place, missing bones of earlier victims exposed in the tiny garden of the property. They also concocted false confessions from Evans to justify their accusations against Evans. The case was important in leading directly to the abolition of capital punishment in 1965 in the UK.

•   Mahmood Mattan, little known case of a Somali fisherman, hanged in Cardiff in 1952. Conviction overturned in 1998. £1.4 million compensation was shared out between Mattan's widow Laura, and her three children.

•   Andrew Evans served more than 25 years for the murder of 14-year-old Judith Roberts. He confessed to the 1972 murder after seeing the girl's face in a dream. His conviction was overturned in 1997.

•   John Joseph Boyle aged 18 was convicted under the pretenses of an alleged confession at Belfast City Commission on October 14, 1977 of possession of firearms and ammunition with intent to endanger life, and membership in the I.R.A. He was sentenced to ten years in prison on the first count, and to two years in prison on the second count, the terms to run concurrently. A suspended sentence of two years imprisonment imposed for a previous offense was also invoked, making a total of twelve years in prison. When released he underwent a long fight to prove his innocence. In 2003, his conviction was quashed but he has been denied compensation.

•   Paul Blackburn was convicted in 1978 when aged 15 of the attempted murder of a 9-year old boy, and spent more than 25 years in 18 different prisons, during which time he maintained his innocence. He said he had never considered saying he was guilty to secure an earlier release because it was a matter of "integrity". He was finally released in May 2005 having served 25 years when the Court of Appeal ruled his trial was unfair and his conviction 'unsafe'.

•   The Bridgewater Four were convicted in 1979 of murdering Carl Bridgewater, a 13-year-old paper boy who was shot on his round when he disturbed robbers at a farm in Staffordshire. Patrick Molloy died in jail in 1981. The remaining three were released in 1997 after their convictions were overturned.

•   Peter Fell, a former hospital porter, described in the media as a "serial confessor" and a "fantasist", was sentenced to two life terms in 1984 for the murder of Ann Lee and Margaret "Peggy" Johnson, who were killed while they were out walking their dogs in 1982. His conviction was overturned in 2001. He had served 17 years.

•   Sean Hodgson, also known as Robert Graham Hodgson, was convicted in 1982 of murder following various confessions to police, although he pleaded not guilty at his trial. His defence said he was a pathological liar and the confessions were untrue. He was freed on March 18, 2009 by the Court of Appeal as a result of advances in DNA analysis which established his innocence.

•   Kenny Richey, a UK-US dual citizen, spent 21 years on Death Row in the US after being convicted of starting a fire that killed 2-year-old Cynthia Collins. His conviction was eventually thrown out. Richey agreed to a plea bargain in which he agreed to plead 'no contest' to involuntary manslaughter, child endangering and breaking and entering. In exchange for this plea, the prosecution dropped the charges of arson and murder. Part of the agreement was that Richey leave the U.S. immediately.

•   The Cardiff Newsagent Three, Michael O'Brien (of the Cardiff Newsagent Three), Darren Hall and Ellis Sherwood, were wrongly convicted for the murder of a newsagent, Phillip Saunders. On October 12, 1987 Mr Saunders, 52, was battered with a spade outside his Cardiff home. The day's takings from his kiosk had been stolen, and five days later he died of his injuries. The three men spent 11 years in jail before the Court of Appeal quashed the conviction in 1999. The three have since been paid six figure compensation, but South Wales Police had still not apologised or admitted liability for malicious prosecution or misfeasance.

•   Michelle and Lisa Taylor, wrongly convicted for the murder in 1991 of Alison Shaughnessy, a bank clerk who was the bride of Michelle's former lover. The trial was heavily influenced by inaccurate media reporting and deemed unfair.

•   The Cardiff Three, Steven Miller, Yusef Abdullahi, and Tony Paris were falsely jailed for the murder of prostitute Lynette White, stabbed more than 50 times in a frenzied attack in a flat above a betting shop in Cardiff's Butetown area on Valentine's Day 1988, in 1990 and later cleared on appeal. In 2003, Jeffrey Gafoor was jailed for life for the murder. The breakthrough was due to modern DNA techniques used on evidence taken from the crime scene. Subsequently, in 2005, nine retired Police Officers and three serving Officers were arrested and questioned for false imprisonment, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and misconduct in public office. On 6 July 2011, eight of the officers stood trial at Swansea Crown Court for perverting the course of justice together with three witnesses accused of perjury. However, on 1st December 2011 the entire case collapsed, as the judge ruled the police officers could not be given a fair trial due to the previous publicity.

•   The Gurnos Three, also known as the Merthyr Tydfil Arson Case (Annette Hewins, Donna Clarke and Denise Sullivan). Wrongly convicted of the arson attack on the home of Diane Jones, aged 21, in October 1995. Someone had torn away part of the covering of her front door and poured in petrol to start the fire. The fire spread so rapidly that Ms Jones and her two daughters, Shauna, aged two, and Sarah-Jane, aged 13 months, were all killed. The convictions of Ms Hewins and Ms Clarke were quashed at the Court of Appeal in February 1998 and a retrial ordered in the case of Ms Clarke.

•   Donna Anthony, 25 at the time, was wrongly jailed in 1998 for the death of her 11 month old son, also because of the opinion of Sir Roy Meadow, and finally released in 2005.
•   David Carrington-Jones was released on October 16, 2007, after spending six years in jail for a rape he did not commit, having been previously found guilty on two counts of rape and sexual assault against a pair of teenage sisters in December 2000. One of the accusers subsequently admitted to police she made up the allegations against her stepfather, Mr Carrington-Jones, because she 'did not like him'. It has transpired that the girl had previously made other false allegations of rape against her brother, fiancée, stepfather and even a customer at her place of work, but the jury was not told of this and Mr Carrington-Jones was sentenced to a ten-year jail term at Lewes Crown Court. He was later refused parole hearings because he refused to admit his guilt. Mr Carrington-Jones is said to be discussing claiming compensation.

•   Sion Jenkins, acquitted after a second retrial of the murder of Billie-Jo Jenkins in February 2006. Jenkins was convicted in 1998 but the conviction was quashed in 2004 following a CCRC referral. The basis of the quashed conviction at the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) were the concessions by the Crown's pathologist that evidence given at the first tribunal were inaccurate.

•   Barri White and Keith Hyatt. On 12 December 2000, Rachel Manning, aged 19, was found strangled to death and her face battered with a car crook lock, in the grounds of Woburn Golf Club, in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire. Her boyfriend, Barri White, 20 at the time, was jailed for life in 2002 for her murder, only to be freed after being acquitted of killing her at a retrial. Mr White's co-accused, Keith Hyatt, 47 at the time, served two-and-a-half years for perverting the course of justice, relating to the post-death battering of the victim’s face, before also having his conviction quashed. Dr Peter Bull, an expert in geo-science forensics, labelled the evidence 'totally implausible'. Subsequently, in 2011, Shahidul Ahmed, 40, from Bletchley, appeared at Milton Keynes Magistrates' Court and was remanded in custody for Manning's murder after the case was reinvestigated by a new team.

•   John Bodkin Adams, is a particularly notable case when a man was acquitted when he may now, with access to archives, be considered to have in all likelihood been guilty. Adams was arrested in 1956 for the murders of Edith Alice Morrell and Gertrude Hullett. He was tried in 1957 and found not guilty of the first charge, while the second was dropped via a Nolle prosequi, an act which the presiding judge, Lord Justice Patrick Devlin, later termed "an abuse of power".Police archives, opened in 2003, suggest that evidence was passed to the defence by the Attorney-General Reginald Manningham-Buller in order to allow Adams to avoid the death sentence, then still in force. Home Office pathologist Francis Camps suspected Adams of killing 163 patients in total. Adams was only ever fined for minor offences and struck off the medical register for four years.

•   In March 2012 it was reported that Adam Scott, a 20 year old from Devon, had been charged with rape, in a city he claimed never to have visited, because of an error caused by contamination in the laboratory of LGC Forensics. Scott's solicitor called for a public inquiry.


Offline Lea

Re: Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
Sam Hallam convicted of murder in 2004....thankfully freed after serving nearly 8 years

Padgates staff

  • Guest
Re: Confirmed Miscarriage of Justice Cases.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Oh-I missed Kevin Craigie off too  @)(++(*