Author Topic: Sceptics beliefs ?  (Read 54993 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Sceptics beliefs ?
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »

I am finding this all a bit more difficult to cope with today than I normally do.  So please beware.  I will be implementing Forum Rules In Full.  So don't waste your time writing things that will be deleted.

Offline Cheeky Monkey

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »
The BBC said Smith changed his mind didn't they? Then they had to change their programme because it wasn't true.
Did the BBC bend the truth?
Gemma O’Doherty

A reward of €20,000 was Offered to anyone who could assist with the investigation. But then the Story of the Smith sighting took another bizarre twist as allegations emerged in the media that the family had retracted their statements. The public were being told that this potentially critical development was just another red herring.

The BBC even went as far as to make this claim. In a 'Panorama' programme broadcast in May to mark the tenth anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance, presenter Richard Bilton told viewers that the Smiths had changed their mind about seeing Gerry McCann and now believed they had seen someone else.

In recent weeks, I have spoken to Martin Smith at his home in Drogheda. He told me he continues to stand by everything he said to police in 2007. At no point did he withdraw his statement or change his mind about the sighting.

He is frustrated by media claims that he now says he was mistaken; and remains "60-80 per cent" convinced that the man he saw that night was Gerry McCann.

After the BBC programme was broadcast, Martin contacted ‘Panorama’ and informed them of their inaccuracy. But the broadcaster failed to correct the record despite its public service remit.

Last month. asked the BBC why they had wrongly suggested the Smith sighting had been withdrawn and if they were willing to correct their error at this late stage.

I received a reply acknowledging that they had indeed broadcast an inaccuracy. They agreed to update the ‘Panorama’ programme on their iPlayer to reflect the correction. They say the mistake was made in good faith but they have failed to explain how they came to make such a fundamental error and why they did not check if their story about the Smiths was correct before they aired the programme.

Former Scotland Yard murder detective Colin Sutton is one of a number of experienced officers who believe the Smith sighting is one the most important pieces of evidence available to the investigation.
https://gemmaodoherty.com/investigations/madeline-mccann/madeline-mccann-did-the-bbc-bend-the-truth/
Gerry McCann: "If you think about the millions and millions of British families who go to the Mediterranean each year, really the chances of this happening are in the order of 100 million to one."

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
I am finding this all a bit more difficult to cope with today than I normally do.  So please beware.  I will be implementing Forum Rules In Full.  So don't waste your time writing things that will be deleted.

I hope you are OK Eleanor x
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline Davel

« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
Gemma O’Doherty

A reward of €20,000 was Offered to anyone who could assist with the investigation. But then the Story of the Smith sighting took another bizarre twist as allegations emerged in the media that the family had retracted their statements. The public were being told that this potentially critical development was just another red herring.

The BBC even went as far as to make this claim. In a 'Panorama' programme broadcast in May to mark the tenth anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance, presenter Richard Bilton told viewers that the Smiths had changed their mind about seeing Gerry McCann and now believed they had seen someone else.

In recent weeks, I have spoken to Martin Smith at his home in Drogheda. He told me he continues to stand by everything he said to police in 2007. At no point did he withdraw his statement or change his mind about the sighting.

He is frustrated by media claims that he now says he was mistaken; and remains "60-80 per cent" convinced that the man he saw that night was Gerry McCann.

After the BBC programme was broadcast, Martin contacted ‘Panorama’ and informed them of their inaccuracy. But the broadcaster failed to correct the record despite its public service remit.

Last month. asked the BBC why they had wrongly suggested the Smith sighting had been withdrawn and if they were willing to correct their error at this late stage.

I received a reply acknowledging that they had indeed broadcast an inaccuracy. They agreed to update the ‘Panorama’ programme on their iPlayer to reflect the correction. They say the mistake was made in good faith but they have failed to explain how they came to make such a fundamental error and why they did not check if their story about the Smiths was correct before they aired the programme.

Former Scotland Yard murder detective Colin Sutton is one of a number of experienced officers who believe the Smith sighting is one the most important pieces of evidence available to the investigation.
https://gemmaodoherty.com/investigations/madeline-mccann/madeline-mccann-did-the-bbc-bend-the-truth/

Depends what he means by... Stands by everthing he said..
What he said was that based on the way the man held the child he was 60 to 80 % sure it was Gerry...

He may well stand by the fact he made that statement... In good faith... Doesn't mean he still believes the man he saw was Gerry... In fact as he has been so supportive of the McCann's I'm sure he doesnt
mods can delete posts but...
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on...
nor all thy piety nor wit can lure me back to alter but  a line..nor all thy tears wash away  a word of it

Offline Cheeky Monkey

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
What he said was that based on the way the man held the child he was 60 to 80 % sure it was Gerry...

He may well stand by the fact he made that statement... In good faith... Doesn't mean he still believes the man he saw was Gerry... In fact as he has been so supportive of the McCann's I'm sure he doesnt
Everything depends on something Davel. The entire abduction narrative depends on the bedroom door slamming, and Kate seeing the curtain go whoooooosh, imo.
Gerry McCann: "If you think about the millions and millions of British families who go to the Mediterranean each year, really the chances of this happening are in the order of 100 million to one."

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
Gemma O’Doherty

I wonder why Redwood opened the can of worms that was the Smith sighting? He must have known Smith's opinion of who it was.
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline Davel

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
Everything depends on something Davel. The entire abduction narrative depends on the bedroom door slamming, and Kate seeing the curtain go whoooooosh, imo.

Based on all the evidence I see no reason to doubt Kate
mods can delete posts but...
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on...
nor all thy piety nor wit can lure me back to alter but  a line..nor all thy tears wash away  a word of it

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »
I hope you are OK Eleanor x

Thank You, G.  Yes, I am fine.  Sometimes I find it hard and sometimes I find it more easy to deal with.  Phases of The Moon I suspect.  I am a Lunar Person.

I don't really like being in charge, but someone has to do it.  And I am inordinately fond of this Forum.  It is the only decent one left.  And Oh My God, I have seen a few.

So please all help me, all of you.  It isn't that difficult to cut the snide remarks, which only ever detract from what are mostly perfectly acceptable comments, even if I don't personally agree with some of them.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »

There never was any evidence that Smith had changed his mind; someone made that up in my opinion.
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline Brietta

« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
The BBC said Smith changed his mind didn't they? Then they had to change their programme because it wasn't true.

Just as Mr Smith spoke on behalf of his wife ... Mrs Smith spoke on behalf of her husband.  One has to puzzle about why one is acceptable to sceptics while the other is studiously ignored.
The remit of Operation Grange is to investigate ...  "(as if the abduction occurred in the UK)"

Offline Brietta

« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »

That is a sceptic mantra I would say believed by them all.

I think the disappearance of a little girl from her bed in conjunction with the witness sighting of a man carrying a child away from the apartment block is of far more relevance.

Just because Goncalo had a theory doesn't mean it has to be followed hook line and sinker ... particularly as it lent nothing to the search for a missing child.  When you think about it ... make that X2 failures.
The remit of Operation Grange is to investigate ...  "(as if the abduction occurred in the UK)"

Offline Erngath

« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
I wonder why Redwood opened the can of worms that was the Smith sighting? He must have known Smith's opinion of who it was.

Was that opinion shared by the other witnesses?
Perhaps Redwood took note of their opinions!

Back to my original point of this thread.

In spite of two ongoing investigations which have been lengthy and so far have resulted in no action against Madeleine's parents, and in spite of them being described as not suspects, and in spite of the Netflix documentary which in my opinion was generally supportive of the fact that Madeleine was abducted, do sceptics still believe the McCanns are complicit in Madeleine's disappearance.
I've read the thread so far and see nothing new in your arguments.
What keeps you so steadfast in your beliefs?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »
Just as Mr Smith spoke on behalf of his wife ... Mrs Smith spoke on behalf of her husband.  One has to puzzle about why one is acceptable to sceptics while the other is studiously ignored.

Did she say he'd changed his mind?
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline Cheeky Monkey

« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2019, 10:58:37 AM »
Based on all the evidence I see no reason to doubt Kate
Based on the evidence in Kate's book, I see no reason why I should believe a word she says.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2019, 10:59:08 AM »
There never was any evidence that Smith had changed his mind; someone made that up in my opinion.

There is a great deal of evidence that Martin Smith was entirely wrong.  The Judicial police accept that along with the judiciary ... why do sceptics continue to cling to their belief in something so well debunked?