Author Topic: Do witness statements have any relevance at a trial?  (Read 5684 times)

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
  • Wisdom and understanding please.
    • The Lord Jesus - search for Madeleine McCann
Re: Do witness statements have any relevance at a trial?
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2019, 12:15:59 PM »
Sorry, Rob, my mistake.   *%^^& I meant Russell.
Russell O'Brien, or  ROB but often on the forum here they call me "Rob", so I got confused sorry.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2019, 12:16:29 PM »
The Netflix interview with Jayne Jensen confirmed to me Jez's statement had a serious flaw.  He was asked to come to the reconstruction but really only agreed to it if all the others did as well. 
Were the PJ going to use the reconstruction, showing the apparent impossibility of Jane Tanner walking past Jez and Gerry and not being noticed, to take the whole lot of them and make them all arguidos.
Would they turn around and say JT is also lying for they couldn't have been on the street at that time.

As it didn't happen, one can only speculate what the outcome(s) might have been.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -   Into year 13 and still no solution.

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
As it didn't happen, one can only speculate what the outcome(s) might have been.
But if you read the e-mail exchange you can read what they were worried about.  The PJ must have known about Totman taking his child home, they would then know what direction he was walking.  Jane Tanner described a man walking the other way.  Did they believe her?
They had the statements from Jayne and Annie and they clearly spoke to Jez but Jez said he didn't go out "searching" but he was out for the women to speak to him.    Something didn't add up there. 

Gerry was already an arguido.

Russell - what did they have on him?   
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2019, 12:28:32 PM »
The Netflix interview with Jayne Jensen confirmed to me Jez's statement had a serious flaw.  He was asked to come to the reconstruction but really only agreed to it if all the others did as well. 
Were the PJ going to use the reconstruction, showing the apparent impossibility of Jane Tanner walking past Jez and Gerry and not being noticed, to take the whole lot of them and make them all arguidos?
Would they turn around and say JT is also lying for they couldn't have been on the street at that time?

No one seems to care that Gez Wilkins refused to do a reconstruction.

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »

But if you read the e-mail exchange you can read what they were worried about.  The PJ must have known about Totman taking his child home, they would then know what direction he was walking.  Jane Tanner described a man walking the other way.  Did they believe her?
They had the statements from Jayne and Annie and they clearly spoke to Jez but Jez said he didn't go out "searching" but he was out for the women to speak to him.    Something didn't add up there. 

Rachael was going to get in trouble for involving the press.  She was trying to get a reassurance she wasn't going to be arrested for doing that as a result of the "reconstruction".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:44:02 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Online G-Unit

« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »

There's no evidence that the PJ knew anything about Totman or those two sisters afaik?
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
No one seems to care that Gez Wilkins refused to do a reconstruction.
Well I have discussed this before on this forum and the general view was he hadn't refused.  It is hard to say if you have refused or agreed when you say "I'll go only if they all go".  There was always the additional possibility of saying something came up and made that date impossible. 
Moderation

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
There's no evidence that the PJ knew anything about Totman or those two sisters afaik?
Unless you say they are liars.  They both say they gave statements to the police at the time.  Why would the UK police not share that with the PJ? 

I think the PJ knew.  The UK police didn't agree to release their statements at the time of the archiving, so we don't know for sure what happened but the Totmans and the sisters both say they gave statements.
Moderation

Online G-Unit

« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »
Unless you say they are liars.  They both say they gave statements to the police at the time.  Why would the UK police not share that with the PJ? 

I think the PJ knew.  The UK police didn't agree to release their statements at the time of the archiving, so we don't know for sure what happened but the Totmans and the sisters both say they gave statements.

I was talking about evidence. I don't consider media reports to be evidence.

Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
I was talking about evidence. I don't consider media reports to be evidence.
What about hearing them speak as in a video?
Moderation

Online G-Unit

« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2019, 02:17:34 PM »

Why would the UK police wish to hide evidence which had already been aired in the media?
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline jassi

« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

Speaking on a video confirms exactly what was said,( unless edited to deceive), but doesn't mean that the content of  what was said is correct
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -   Into year 13 and still no solution.

Offline Carana

« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »
Speaking on a video confirms exactly what was said,( unless edited to deceive), but doesn't mean that the content of  what was said is correct

Agreed Jassi, but it's one step up from whatever an inspector noted during Gerry's first interview involving a 3-way conversation, for example. IMO.

Perhaps he did lie, or got mixed up. No idea, I wasn't there. On the other hand, a lost-in-translation /confusion issue seems totally plausible to me.

Whatever people's views, I find it important to at least be open to context.

My impression is that you are on the whole, Jassi, but others aren't.

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Why would the UK police wish to hide evidence which had already been aired in the media?
It is their policy to keep certain information close to their chest.  Maybe they haven't noticed the significance of the fact yet?
Moderation

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
That is what detectives are paid to do.    If you think the discrepancies in Gerry's statements are significant, how about what is now appearing in Jez' statement? 
Moderation