Author Topic: Corona Virus; Tips and info  (Read 4041 times)

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
  • Wisdom and understanding please.
    • The Lord Jesus - search for Madeleine McCann
Re: Corona Virus; Tips and info
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
Rob

From the hand sanitizer recipe: Hydrogen peroxide: used to inactivate contaminating bacterial  spores in the solution and is not an active substance for hand antisepsis.
Are you saying the peroxide is still present when used?  I'd say it has been used up by that stage.  I will look at the recipe and consider it.

Do you know what hydrogen peroxide will react with?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2020, 07:52:52 PM »
Rob

From the hand sanitizer recipe: Hydrogen peroxide: used to inactivate contaminating bacterial  spores in the solution and is not an active substance for  hand antisepsis.

Looking at that recipe for hand sanitizer, the amount of peroxide used ends up be a very small part "• Hydrogen peroxide 0.125% (v/v)"

I'm using 0.5% and this is 0.125% or about a quarter strength compared to what I'm trialing.

From a spray bottle I can flood my hands with a peroxide solution.  To get the same amount of peroxide from the hand sanitizer you'd have to use 20 ml or so per hand.

In the directions, they talk of the flashpoint of the alcohol.  https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf
"Flashpoint- the temperature at which a liquid gives off a vapor that can be ignited. Every liquid that will burn has a flashpoint. The flashpoint of ethanol depends on whether it is pure 100% ethanol (which is very rare) or mixed with water. The more water, the higher the flashpoint."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:16:36 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2020, 09:30:07 PM »
The most important thing is to stop the virus getting into your body in the first place.

Washing your hands isn't just a matter of flicking them under a tap. Here's a little video:
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1241177007305744384
That video didn't load for me. 

There is a scientific paper "[Virus inactivation by hydrogen peroxide].
[Article in Russian]
Mentel' R, Shirrmakher R, Kevich A, Dreĭzin RS, Shmidt I."  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/203115"

"Abstract
The effect of H2O2 on adenovirus types 3 and 6, adenoassociated virus type 4, rhinoviruses 1A, 1B, and type 7, myxoviruses, influenza A and B, respiratory syncytial virus, strain Long, and coronavirus strain 229E was studied in vitro, using different H2O2 concentration and time of exposure. H2O2 in a 3 percent concentration inactivated all the viruses under study within 1--30 min. Coronavirus and influenza viruses were found to be most sensitive. Reoviruses, adenoviruses and adenoassociated virus were relatively stable. H2O2 is a convenient means for virus inactivation."

OK that study was using the 3% solution.  My theory is that as the 0.5% H2O2 is drying on the hands and inside the nose the concentration of the peroxide will increase and thereby causing virus inactivation.
Moderation

Online Robittybob1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »
Ran out of the 0.5% nasal spray so I have upped the strength to 1%.  It felt a bit like a mild onion sensation for a few minutes following a single spray per nostril.  I'd prefer to take multiple sprays of the lower strength mixture as the pump is not that reliable.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:37:34 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Carana

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2020, 10:40:05 AM »
Looking at that recipe for hand sanitizer, the amount of peroxide used ends up be a very small part "• Hydrogen peroxide 0.125% (v/v)"

I'm using 0.5% and this is 0.125% or about a quarter strength compared to what I'm trialing.

From a spray bottle I can flood my hands with a peroxide solution.  To get the same amount of peroxide from the hand sanitizer you'd have to use 20 ml or so per hand.

In the directions, they talk of the flashpoint of the alcohol.  https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf
"Flashpoint- the temperature at which a liquid gives off a vapor that can be ignited. Every liquid that will burn has a flashpoint. The flashpoint of ethanol depends on whether it is pure 100% ethanol (which is very rare) or mixed with water. The more water, the higher the flashpoint."

My understanding is that that it's the alcohol that is the active agent. The H202 is to kill any bacteria that may be present. The glycerol is to make it less harsh for the hands. And the water to increase the flashpoint.

Do what you like, I'll stick to the WHO formula.

Offline Carana

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Ran out of the 0.5% nasal spray so I have upped the strength to 1%.  It felt a bit like a mild onion sensation for a few minutes following a single spray per nostril.  I'd prefer to take multiple sprays of the lower strength mixture as the pump is not that reliable.

Is potentially damaging the little hairs in the noise (that act as a natural filter) a good idea?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »

Best put in your ears, if you ask me, Rob.  Ears, Nose and Throat.  Or gargle with it.

And then there is Oscillococcinum.

Offline Myster

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2020, 12:50:58 PM »
Best put in your ears, if you ask me, Rob.  Ears, Nose and Throat.  Or gargle with it.

That sounds like a quack remedy to me... ho-ho!  Better stick to peroxide in yer lug 'ole...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oscillococcinum#what-it-is

Offline Carana

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »

I haven't heard anything about contamination via the ears. AFAIK, it's EYES, nose and mouth.

Offline John

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »
I haven't heard anything about contamination via the ears. AFAIK, it's EYES, nose and mouth.

Apparently the virus can only travel through the air is propelled by coughing or sneezing. So if someone coughs or sneezes near you when out and about, run like hell!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
That sounds like a quack remedy to me... ho-ho!  Better stick to peroxide in yer lug 'ole...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oscillococcinum#what-it-is

So was The Jewish Chicken Soup.  But half of the population of France depends on Homeopathy.  Me?  I go for whatever suits me.

I never go anywhere near a Doctor.

You won't ever find anyone more Cockney than I am, but do come on.  Lug Holes?  How frightfully passé.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »

Ears, Nose and Throat.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2020, 01:22:18 PM »
Apparently the virus can only travel through the air is propelled by coughing or sneezing. So if someone coughs or sneezes near you when out and about, run like hell!

Too Late.  ha Ha.

Offline Roy

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »
This seems to be excellent advice.

COVID19 UPDATE.

THIS IS VITAL PROTECTION ADVICE.

.MP3 FORMAT.

https://t.co/wjU3N3FzFq

Stay safe everyone & best wishes to all.

Roy & Linda
RoyaLin

Offline Roy

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
COVID19 UPDATE.

Seems excellent advice.

THIS IS VITAL PROTECTION ADVICE.

.MP3 FORMAT.

https://t.co/wjU3N3FzFq

Stay safe everyone & best wishes to all.

Roy & Linda
RoyaLin