Author Topic: Why did THE TAPAS 7 ALL lock their back doors but the Mccanns left theirs open  (Read 23238 times)

registrar

Why did THE TAPAS 7 ALL lock their back doors but the Mccanns left theirs op

the Mccans had an entrance gate and stairs to their ground floor balcony.

Did the other tapas group have that too?

Zooming in close up on GE it appears that all the ground floor apartments had a gate.  But in their case, they all opened on to a dark alleyway, whilst The Mccanns appartment opened on to a lit street, with a street light opposite illuminating the rear entrance.  Quite a difference!

Certainly the women  wouldn't want to walk along a quiet dark alleyway

In Sadie's world - are all women afraid of the dark - as almost by default?
Well I am ... in unfamiliar public places ... and even familiar places if there is a man around on his own, especially if they are walking behind me..  I always keep an eye on them and cross the street away from them.  Even walk up drive ways to get away from them.  I like them in front of me, where I can see them.

..... But I have experienced a man trying to pull me into a car, and I have experienced several flashers and a man try and grab me from my bicycle ... all when I was younger and a bit of a looker.  Now I drive everywhere, but I still look around me before I get out.  Maybe I am too cautious?

I am not alone; other women are like me.  That I know

I would NEVER go down a dimly lit alleyway.  Asking for trouble.

fair comment

Offline Mrs. B

It's time to clarify a few things here.  Firstly the patio door (singular) was not lft open...it was closed but unlocked.  Secondly, Matt used the door without a key thus evidencing that it was unlocked.

Somebody posted a few days ago that they felt that the McCanns had been lured into a false sense of security by their serene surroundings.  I agree.  They saw the tapas bar from their balcony and assumed that their balcony could be seen from the tapas bar.  What they didn't realise was that you couldn't properly see through the plastic screen windows.

I also blame Mark Warner for not giving adequate advisements to guests in respect of security.  I justify this by adding that there had been other break-ins at the resort prior to the Tapas-9 arrival and it was the responsibility of the hotel management to alert guests to theses goings on.  I also blame Mark Warner for their obvious lapse in security.  Where was the security guard?

My own view is that Mark Warner and Ocean Club let the McCanns down very badly.

Yes I agree with that.  Especially as the tour operators were already aware of a spate of incidents in which an intruder had entered holiday apartments at night and molested children in their own beds.    The tour operators had chosen to keep this information 'confidential' - (for obvious reasons).

What do you suggest they should have said to thousands upon thousands of tourists then when booking their holidays, every year?

THE TRUTH for a start and should have had a security guard patrol the resort for another.

It's called company policy, you are simply not allowed to. You can't sell a "family friendly" resort if you at the same time tell people that there are literally no security checks on who is allowed to just walk in & out of the resort at any time of the day.

Even the simple things you have to warn guests about has to be sugar coated in one way or another. E.g. instead of saying "don't drink the tap water because you may get ill" you are instructed to say "it's not dangerous to drink tap water here, but it doesn't taste very nice so we recommend you buy bottled water".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:38:59 PM by John »

Offline John

I agree Mrs B, it is always their own commercial interests which come first with these Companies.  However, there was much which Mark Warner holidays could have done behind the scenes to improve security.  Even their own staff have commented in the police statements that too many strangers were wandering in every day to use the private facilities.  The question must be asked, was John Hill far too complacent or was he simply not up to the job of resort manager?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. John Lamberton exposes malfeasance by public officials.
Check out my website >   http://johnlamberton.webs.com/index.htm?no_redirect=true     The truth never changes with the passage of time.

registrar

I think this a useful debate.

How much of your personal 'liberties' are you willing to give up on your holiday to improve safety?

Ex. 1) on a cruise of the Red Sea a few years ago - all passengers were photographed and then issued with their personal swipe card - no swipe card - no admission to the ship - reasonable I thought, judging by the characters hanging around quay side in various ports

Ex. 2) In a less volatile region the old wrist band method might suffice

But as John pointed out it's all about the dosh - if on holiday say in Spain - ANY hotel is happy for you to use their facilities - the trade off being that you simply buy a couple of drinks at THEIR bar rather than at anyone elses bar.

registrar

Applied to the Ocean Club my comment above is of course redundant.

As 5a was outside the safety parameter of the complex.

Just like the apt. I staid in at Portimao.

Right on the road - anyone could have come in at anytime.

Offline Mrs. B

I totally agree, but sadly, I don't actually think OC was any worse or better than any other resorts, IMO they're all equally bad. Another added complication is that most resorts aren't owned by the Tour Operators, they're owned by separate companies. So there's generally conflict between what the Tour Operator want & what the Resort Management are willing to give. Security is the Hotel Management's responsibility & Security Guards, CCTV, alarms etc cost money.

Of course, the OC in PDL had apartments that weren't even inside the resort which makes security even harder to maintain.

Offline John

I still believe John Hill and Mark Warner holidays were culpable.  They were taking annual maintenance fees from owners like Ruth McCann who owned and who still owns apartment 5a where the McCanns stayed and from where Madeleine was taken.  They knew that there was a history of intruders breaking in to apartments.  They knew staff were concerned at the number of strangers wandering around the private grounds with some touting for business.  Why did they not invoke the most basic security?

Why have the McCanns not sued them?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. John Lamberton exposes malfeasance by public officials.
Check out my website >   http://johnlamberton.webs.com/index.htm?no_redirect=true     The truth never changes with the passage of time.

icabodcrane

It's time to clarify a few things here.  Firstly the patio door (singular) was not lft open...it was closed but unlocked.  Secondly, Matt used the door without a key thus evidencing that it was unlocked.

Somebody posted a few days ago that they felt that the McCanns had been lured into a false sense of security by their serene surroundings.  I agree.  They saw the tapas bar from their balcony and assumed that their balcony could be seen from the tapas bar.  What they didn't realise was that you couldn't properly see through the plastic screen windows.

I also blame Mark Warner for not giving adequate advisements to guests in respect of security.  I justify this by adding that there had been other break-ins at the resort prior to the Tapas-9 arrival and it was the responsibility of the hotel management to alert guests to theses goings on.  I also blame Mark Warner for their obvious lapse in security.  Where was the security guard?

My own view is that Mark Warner and Ocean Club let the McCanns down very badly.

Yes I agree with that.  Especially as the tour operators were already aware of a spate of incidents in which an intruder had entered holiday apartments at night and molested children in their own beds.    The tour operators had chosen to keep this information 'confidential' - (for obvious reasons).

What do you suggest they should have said to thousands upon thousands of tourists then when booking their holidays, every year?

They could have installed CCTV for a start.

That is a fair criticism

No holiday company could be expected to safeguard children from  'abduction' but  Mark Warner  were aware of the burglaries that had occured, and installing CCTV would have been a response that showed they were, at, least,  concerned

Offline John

Very much so.  There is also reference in statements to strangers taking photographs of children without their parents knowledge as they played in the grounds.  Is anyone really going to tell me that the management at the resort were oblivious to this?  Were they also oblivious to the fact that the area around the Club was a haven for British paedophiles?

icabodcrane

Very much so.  There is also reference in statements to strangers taking photographs of children without their parents knowledge as they played in the grounds.  Is anyone really going to tell me that the management at the resort were oblivious to this?  Were they also oblivious to the fact that the area around the Club was a haven for British paedophiles?

"a haven for British paedophiles" ?

You go too far sometimes John ...  you really do

Offline John

"a haven for British paedophiles" ?

You go too far sometimes John ...  you really do

Not my words but the words of a bar owner from Praia da Luz who knew exactly what was going on.

amaraltheofficeboy

how many of the Tapas 7 had stairs to their balcony?

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
how many of the Tapas 7 had stairs to their balcony?

I think, Heri's  photo's, show at least one gate, up the alley way, in front of 5A.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:50:39 PM by DCI »
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline sadie

From GEarth it appears that all the ground floor apartments have gates on to the alleyway.