... and you are seriously suggesting that the comment Gerry McCann made ( quoted in Red's post above ) is explained by the fact that he is from Glasgow ? !
That is the kind of insupportable remark I would expect from a McCann apologist
I had a feeling you would ask me to clarify that remark.
I don't know if I can explain Gerry McCann's phraseology in that particular statement with reference to the fact that he is from Glasgow. I was being a bit facetious.
On a more serious note, however, being from the other side of the country I do look at Glaswegian culture from a slightly outside perspective. (Glasgow being based on a more 'celtic' culture and leaning towards Irish / transatlantic influences; Edinburgh being more Anglicised and also more European).
There are definitely several comments I could make, in general, about Gerry McCann's way of communicating (not just verbal; other things too) that
could be considered to be cultural. They could be useful in a discussion about how the McCanns present themselves on camera, and are generally perceived. IMO.
Perhaps that's getting into deep water though, as it's hard to get into those discussions without generalising too much or offending people, no matter how careful one is.
Suffice to say that I am reminded of a book published in Scotland which discusses linguistic and other differences between the Glaswegians and the Edinburghers*. The front cover reads 'Glaswegians', and then you turn the book upside down and round the other way and the other cover says 'Edinburghers' (the Glaswegian spelling).
*not the term used in Glasgow - delete the first 'r' if you want to get in with the weegies on your next visit.