If the dog is trained to alert to certain stimuli why would you think, when it alerts it is alerting to stimuli other than those it has been trained to?
That smacks of using an oxygen concentration monitor then not believing there is potential danger when it alarms because you believe it is being set off by something else.
It cannot be proven the dog alerted to the cadaver scent of Madeleine but the fact the dog alerted will give the SIO a lead to follow which is one objective of the process. As there is no result thus far ..............?
I can see that causing concern.
When the monitor goes off, of course you have cause for concern. It spurs you into action, you make the necessary checks and act accordingly. I don't know what the fault rate in such equipment is, maybe low to non-existent so is it a valid comparison? I don't know. I prefer the metal detector analogy however, a beep will signify the presence of something worth investigating, however it will not always be treasure. Same as the dogs IMO.
As someone who has claimed (albeit in a round-about-read-through-the-lines kind of way) that you don't believe the parents covered up the death of their child, how do you rationalise the dog alerts to yourself?