Author Topic: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?  (Read 114204 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Carana

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
I have seen no evidence to suggest that The McCanns lost the right to act for their daughter when she was a made a Ward of Court. Indeed, they requested it.  It was only done to ensure that Madeleine would be returned immediately to British jurisdiction should some party try to prevent this.  And there has never been any doubt that Madeleine would be returned to them when she is found.

This has just been a delaying tactic as far as I can see.

Yes, we know why they requested it, but unless there is special dispensation over certain matters in her case, prior authorisation seems to be needed for all sorts of things.

This is worth a read.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/family/practice_directions/pd_part_12d

stephen25000

  • Guest
Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #496 on: June 02, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »
Let's just see how it plays out.

Now the digs are about to commence, and if the police find a body, it will have considerable ramifications for the case.

Offline Eleanor

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #497 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
Yes, we know why they requested it, but unless there is special dispensation over certain matters in her case, prior authorisation seems to be needed for all sorts of things.

This is worth a read.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/family/practice_directions/pd_part_12d

Yes, I know you know why, but they don't appear to have given up their entire legal rights  And according to Jean Pierre, The McCanns are still Madeleine's legal guardians.

I also find it very difficult to believe that their legal representatives are this ignorant.  Although I have to say that I don't care all that much.  How much was never of prime concern to The McCanns.

Offline Carana

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »
Yes, I know you know why, but they don't appear to have given up their entire legal rights  And according to Jean Pierre, The McCanns are still Madeleine's legal guardians.

I also find it very difficult to believe that their legal representatives are this ignorant.  Although I have to say that I don't care all that much.  How much was never of prime concern to The McCanns.

They are her legal guardians. However, the key bit seems to be the legal interpretation of this:

1.3

The court's wardship jurisdiction is part of and not separate from the court's inherent jurisdiction. The distinguishing characteristics of wardship are that –

(a) custody of a child who is a ward is vested in the court; and

(b) although day to day care and control of the ward is given to an individual or to a local authority, no important step can be taken in the child's life without the court's consent.
[/b]

And

2.3

The following proceedings in relation to a ward of court will be dealt with in the High Court unless the nature of the issues of fact or law makes them more suitable for hearing in the family court –

(snip)

(f) those in which there is a substantial foreign element;


This, of course, is simply what's on that site. It's still possible that they did receive authorisation and it simply wasn't submitted due to some administrative glitch (if, indeed, it was actually required in the first place). There is no way of knowing from the little information so far.


Offline Eleanor

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #499 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »

"If indeed, it was actually required in the first place."

I really don't like the term, "Time will tell."  I have been hearing it for seven years.  And even more so in the last four years.  During that time Amaral has done everything in his power to delay and disrupt this Trial.  This is what I think he is doing now.
Do they honestly believe that The British Legal System is this stupid?

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #500 on: June 02, 2014, 09:51:23 AM »

Snip

This, of course, is simply what's on that site. It's still possible that they did receive authorisation and it simply wasn't submitted due to some administrative glitch (if, indeed, it was actually required in the first place). There is no way of knowing from the little information so far.

If they had received authorisation from the court to sue on behalf of M do you honestly think they wouldn't have presented it to the PT court?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Carana

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #501 on: June 02, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
If they had received authorisation from the court to sue on behalf of M do you honestly think they wouldn't have presented it to the PT court?

I have no idea. There could have been an administrative screw up for all anyone knows. Or it may not have been deemed necessary to obtain authorisation in these particular circumstances. I have no problem with the judge questioning the issue, that's her job.

The judge may eventually rule that the lack of legal paperwork (should that be the case) means that Madeleine's interests can't be represented.

I'm not really surprised that he and co-defendants have tried to get potential damage to Madeleine eliminated on a technicality.

At the end of the day, it still wouldn't mean that his assertions that she died in 5A and the parents were involved are in any way established facts, although I fully expect some quarters to interpret any such ruling in that way.

 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:30:05 AM by Carana »

Offline misty

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #502 on: June 03, 2014, 12:32:34 AM »
What names are given as the plaintiffs on the original writ?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:08:56 PM by Mr Moderator »

Offline Carana

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #503 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
What names are given as the plaintiffs on the original writ?

Kate and Gerry, Madeleine and the twins, according to the injunction document.

Offline misty

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #504 on: June 03, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »
Kate and Gerry, Madeleine and the twins, according to the injunction document.


Thank you, Carana.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:42:01 AM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #505 on: June 14, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
I wondered if as the ban has been overturned...is the book now freely available in Portugal..it appears it isnt and no shops are stocking it..... @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:38:16 PM by davel »

Offline jassi

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #506 on: June 14, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Perhaps the Portuguese are rather tired of the whole business and really don't want to be reading anything about it in their free time.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #507 on: June 14, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
Perhaps the Portuguese are rather tired of the whole business and really don't want to be reading anything about it in their free time.

yes I agree so the overturning of the ban serves no purpose..no none wants to read the book

stephen25000

  • Guest
Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
yes I agree so the overturning of the ban serves no purpose..no none wants to read the book

How do you know that ?

I'll test that principle tomorrow.

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Luz declares the Portuguese libel trial is not a libel trial ?
« Reply #509 on: June 14, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
How do you know that ?

I'll test that principle tomorrow.

the book is not being stocked in Portuguese  bookshops...shops like to make money and stock what sells ...why do you think they are not stocking it