Other High Profile Cases and Persons of Interest > Oscar Pistorius and the killing of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Oscar Pistorius to have psychiatric evaluation as part of the trial.

(1/4) > >>

Mr Moderator:
Defense witness Dr. Merryll Vorster, a forensic psychiatrist, testified that the athlete suffers from generalized anxiety disorder, which may have had an impact on his actions when he shot Steenkamp –- prompting Prosecutor Gerrie Nel to contend that Pistorius be sent for mental observation.

In granting the application, Judge Thokozile Masipa said she realizes the 30-day observation period will cause further delays in the trial, but that it wasn't about anybody's convenience, it was about serving the interest of justice.

Pistorius will be assessed as an outpatient, meaning he will be able to go home each day and won’t have to spend weekends in the facility.

The trial is set to resume on June 30.

Tim Invictus:
Kin' hell. Pistorius won't even start his sidekick evaluation until 26th May; I thought he had already completed a week of the 30 days!

The court starts again on 30th June and Oscar will be an outpatient in the meantime so again he escapes detention! Justice delayed is justice denied!

Why is the law always so frigging slow!

Anna:

Link not working.............................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhmN5yBGG-I

Back on the 30th June 2014 when all decisions from Doctors examining him, on an out patient basis, will be presented to the court .

The decision on his mental awareness at the time of the crime will then be judged.

Anna:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/oscar%20pistorius

The decision by Judge Thokozile Masipa followed a request for a psychiatric evaluation by chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel.

Weskoppys Hospital where he will be evaluated

Edited duplicate liink

John:
Evaluating Pistorius' mental health NOW is hardly relevant to what it was before the killing of Reeva Steenkamp or am I missing something here?

If he had long term mental health issues before he shot Reeva then there would be a record of it or is the prosecutor trying to say he hid it?  Anyone could be forgiven for thinking that there is an element of farce creeping into this showcase trial.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version