Author Topic: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million  (Read 7611 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Angelo222

Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:59:32 PM »
Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million

Telegraph
28 November 2014

By David Barrett, Home Affairs Correspondent

 The cost of the Scotland Yard inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann is expected to reach £10 million by early next year, according to new figures.

A Home Office spokesman confirmed that Operation Grange - the Metropolitan Police's inquiry - received a special £2.6 million grant for 2013-14, bringing the total amount of money invested to £7.3 million.

Sums for the current financial year are "broadly in line" with previous spending, the spokesman added, meaning the full cost is likely to reach just under £10 million by the end of March.

Not included in the total is the sum of £750,000 which was earlier paid to Leicestershire police in connection with the disappearance of the child, then aged three, from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007.

The Scotland Yard operation has led to police searches of three sites in the Algarve resort and interviews with several people, including two potential suspects.



Detectives are believed to be carrying out a page-by-page review of evidence in an attempt to throw light on new leads, in the hope that a breakthrough is still possible.

In figures covering 2013-14, Operation Grange cost £1.7 million in police officer wages, £505,000 in civilian pay, £210,000 in overtime and just over £200,000 in transport, supplies and other costs.

Last year the BBC’s Crimewatch programme generated hundreds of calls from the public when it broadcast two fresh e-fit images of a man they wanted to question in connection with Madeleine’s disappearance.

In April Scotland Yard revealed it was also investigating whether the abduction could have had something to do with a spate of sex attacks carried out against youngsters across the Algarve prior to Madeleine’s disappearance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11261842/Cost-of-Madeleine-McCann-inquiry-set-to-reach-10-million.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:17:00 AM by Admin »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline misty

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/funding-of-investigations-into-the-disappearance-of-madeleine-mccann



    Home Office

See more information about this FOI release

FOI release
Home Office funding towards the investigations into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann from 2011 to 2014

Published 28 November 2014
Contents

FOI release 33146

The Home Office has provided The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) £1.9m in 2011/12, £2.8m in 2012/13 and £2.6m in 2013/14.

We expect the costs for 2014/15 to be broadly in line with previous years. The Home Office have paid £639k so far in 2014/15 towards the costs of this investigation.

The costs of the operation are regularly reviewed to ensure they are proportionate.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/funding-of-investigations-into-the-disappearance-of-madeleine-mccann



    Home Office

See more information about this FOI release

FOI release
Home Office funding towards the investigations into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann from 2011 to 2014

Published 28 November 2014
Contents

FOI release 33146

The Home Office has provided The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) £1.9m in 2011/12, £2.8m in 2012/13 and £2.6m in 2013/14.

We expect the costs for 2014/15 to be broadly in line with previous years. The Home Office have paid £639k so far in 2014/15 towards the costs of this investigation.

The costs of the operation are regularly reviewed to ensure they are proportionate.

Disclaimer;
This post mean nothing other than than what it appears to be at face value. 8(>((

That is interesting Misty whilst they are saying the costs for FY2014-2015 will be "broadly in line" with other years they seem in fact to be going down. Given the FY runs April to March it would not be unreasonable to presume the £639k is for Q1 & Q2 ie to the end of Sept rather than literally up to 28th Nov. Either way the costs seem to be abating. Unless of course there is to be blitz from now til the end of the FY.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline jassi

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
They have reduced the number of detectives deployed, so they must have reduced their activities.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
They have reduced the number of detectives deployed, so they must have reduced their activities.

The overall numbers are not reduced however.

Which suggests to me that most of the detective work which was required has been done ... and the detectives have been replaced by other skilled personnel.  So no need to get worried about a reduction in capability.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
The overall numbers are not reduced however.

Which suggests to me that most of the detective work which was required has been done ... and the detectives have been replaced by other skilled personnel.  So no need to get worried about a reduction in capability.

I am not worried about it. Presumably they will staff up in accordance with the demands of the activities to be carried out. But generally if the expenditure is going down then the manhours will go down accordingly. Which as you say suggests the back of the "leg work" is broken. I am not sure it means they [detectives] have been replaced by "others" though.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline jassi

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
I am not worried about it. Presumably they will staff up in accordance with the demands of the activities to be carried out. But generally if the expenditure is going down then the manhours will go down accordingly. Which as you say suggests the back of the "leg work" is broken. I am not sure it means they [detectives] have been replaced by "others" though.

Lower cost clerical staff, I believe.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
Lower cost clerical staff, I believe.
This is great news for all those "sceptics" who have voiced concern about the spiralling costs of Op Grange n'est ce pas? 

Offline jassi

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.

Alf clearly has no idea how on most jobs labour ramps up to a maximum  then ramps down to nil as the job is completed.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.

Who knows?  We may even have a resolution to Madeleine's case and I think as far as that is concerned, things are looking good.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
Who knows?  We may even have a resolution to Madeleine's case and I think as far as that is concerned, things are looking good.

That I very much doubt, though I'll be surprised if funding goes beyond the life of this government.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
That I very much doubt, though I'll be surprised if funding goes beyond the life of this government.

If you don't think SY haven't worked out a very clear idea of the nitty gritty of what went on in 2007, I am certain of it, and I am sure there are very worried individuals around who are certain of it too.

By the looks of it ... they are all resident in Portugal.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
Indeed it is and I've no doubt we shall see further reductions next year.
And won't it be marvellous when they stop spending any further money on trying to find Madeleine - won't that be a happy day for you and all your fellow "sceptics"!

Offline jassi

Re: Cost of Madeleine McCann inquiry set to reach £10 million
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
I would much prefer that they spent 'Fund' money than taxpayer money. Perhaps the McCanns would like to pay the current balance over to SY.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future