Author Topic: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.  (Read 15604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
How do they address genuine doctors over there?  There's something ever-so-slightly sad about people who insist on drawing attention to their educational qualifications in their names. 

Alfred R Jones - BA (Hons)
You mean someone who is MD here? rather than "genuine doctor".
But when you were organising salmon fishing in The Yemen you had a PhD. I know I read the book about you.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »
You mean someone who is MD here? rather than "genuine doctor".
But when you were organising salmon fishing in The Yemen you had a PhD. I know I read the book about you.
Alice, I know you are fixated with me, my name and its similarity to a character in a book that I have never read but do you think you could give it a rest?  It's v-e-r-y boring.

I have never addressed my doctor as MD before, but thanks for putting me straight - I shall endeavour to do so from now on.

Offline jassi

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
I usually call mine 'duckie' as she's a bit of a quack   @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carew

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
So it is not Dr ... but Snr?   &%+((£


Dash it all..........a charlatan.

Offline Mr Gray

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
You mean someone who is MD here? rather than "genuine doctor".
But when you were organising salmon fishing in The Yemen you had a PhD. I know I read the book about you.

Dr is a courtesy title for medics...genuine doctors are those with a Phd

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
Dr is a courtesy title for medics...genuine doctors are those with a Phd

I think I had worked that out but thank you for confirming it.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 07:02:40 PM »
Alice, I know you are fixated with me, my name and its similarity to a character in a book that I have never read but do you think you could give it a rest?  It's v-e-r-y boring.

I have never addressed my doctor as MD before, but thanks for putting me straight - I shall endeavour to do so from now on.

I feel that way about dogs and Smithman's lack of relevance but at least my boring comments don't have dedicated threads  @)(++(*
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
I feel that way about dogs and Smithman's lack of relevance but at least my boring comments don't have dedicated threads  @)(++(*
You should get over to the Poulton thread pronto - it's hotting up nicely... 8(0(*

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 07:06:16 PM »
You should get over to the Poulton thread pronto - it's hotting up nicely... 8(0(*

I try to avoid that thread as far as possible.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:30:02 PM by Mr Moderator »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey