Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 63652 times)

Online ShiningInLuz

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/australian-couple-on-holiday-in-portugal-die-after-falling-off-a-cliff-while taking-a-selfie/ar-AAyyYi9?li=BBqdg4K&ocid=UP97DHP  I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a double homicide.
Ericeira is a fishing village north of Lisbon, so this has nothing to do with the Algarve.
Portelas installed. Plus Gonçalo!  And F1!  And the World Cup!

Offline Robittybob1

• Executive Member
  • Wisdom and understanding please.
    • Help to solve the Madeleine McCann case
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:40 AM »
Ericeira is a fishing village north of Lisbon, so this has nothing to do with the Algarve.
Well let's hope not.

Online Brietta

« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
TVI ordered to pay 20 thousand euros to Robert Murat for calling him "pedophile"
Murat has already received compensation in excess of € 700,000 from various British media outlets

DN
22 July 2018

he Supreme Court of Justice ordered TVI to pay 20,000 euros in compensation to Robert Murat for referring to the Briton as "pedophile" and Murat attending "pedophile sites".

Murat was accused in the case of the disappearance of Madeleine McCan, the four-year-old English girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, Algarve, while vacationing with her parents, but for a short time.

The Supreme Court notes the "seriousness of the non-pecuniary damage caused", considering that "the fact that they are not exclusively attributable to the defendants does not exempt them from their liability, only referring to the quantification of compensation" - this is because in some situations the references were made in press magazines.

The judges found that the Briton, who lived in the Algarve, "was jobless and economically dependent on his mother" and "was pointed and bothered every time he went out" and even received "threats addressed to himself and his family ".

Murat has already received compensation of more than 700 thousand euros from various British media.

https://www.dn.pt/pais/interior/tvi-condenada-a-pagar-20-mil-euros-a-robert-murat-por-lhe-chamar-pedofilo-9622847.html
The remit of Operation Grange is to investigate ...  "(as if the abduction occurred in the UK)"

Offline misty

« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
TVI ordered to pay 20 thousand euros to Robert Murat for calling him "pedophile"
Murat has already received compensation in excess of € 700,000 from various British media outlets

DN
22 July 2018

he Supreme Court of Justice ordered TVI to pay 20,000 euros in compensation to Robert Murat for referring to the Briton as "pedophile" and Murat attending "pedophile sites".

Murat was accused in the case of the disappearance of Madeleine McCan, the four-year-old English girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, Algarve, while vacationing with her parents, but for a short time.

The Supreme Court notes the "seriousness of the non-pecuniary damage caused", considering that "the fact that they are not exclusively attributable to the defendants does not exempt them from their liability, only referring to the quantification of compensation" - this is because in some situations the references were made in press magazines.

The judges found that the Briton, who lived in the Algarve, "was jobless and economically dependent on his mother" and "was pointed and bothered every time he went out" and even received "threats addressed to himself and his family ".

Murat has already received compensation of more than 700 thousand euros from various British media.

https://www.dn.pt/pais/interior/tvi-condenada-a-pagar-20-mil-euros-a-robert-murat-por-lhe-chamar-pedofilo-9622847.html

Ha, you just beat me to it! Double standards or what?

Offline sadie

« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »

DN
22 July 2018

I wonder what the future will bring for Robert Murat ?

Who were the Judges ?  Anyone know ?

Offline barrier

« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »
Seems as if it was an appeal ruling which took ten years to sort.

https://algarvedailynews.com/news/14714-maddeleine-case-robert-murat-waits-10-years-for-tvi-peadophile-compensation

The ruling judges, under Fernanda Isabel Pereira, unanimously rejected the appeal that was lodged by the TV station and which helped drag the case on for ten years.
Those who find they're touched by madness
Sit down next to me.

Online Brietta

« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2018, 11:47:20 PM »
Seems as if it was an appeal ruling which took ten years to sort.

https://algarvedailynews.com/news/14714-maddeleine-case-robert-murat-waits-10-years-for-tvi-peadophile-compensation

Interesting ... when one makes comparison with the front page lies printed about the McCann's and their friends many of which were as mirrored here.
Most interesting of all is the interpretation given that the lifting of Robert Murat's arguido status equates with him being cleared.

Snip
Among the false and highly defamatory allegations, many spread luridly across front pages, were claims that Murat and his friends had been part of a paedophile ring, that they had lied to the police, and that DNA evidence of Madeleine had been found in his house.

Robert Murat was one of the first defendants (arguidos) in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann on May 3, 2007, but there was never any evidence against him and the Briton was cleared early on.

One year for full compensation through the UK courts, ten years in Portugal while the public is assured by the government that everything is OK with the justice system.

The remit of Operation Grange is to investigate ...  "(as if the abduction occurred in the UK)"

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2018, 01:20:36 AM »
The difference being that Murat cooperated fully with the police and wasn't involved in a campaign to destroy Goncalo Amaral.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Online Brietta

« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2018, 01:33:01 AM »
The difference being that Murat cooperated fully with the police and wasn't involved in a campaign to destroy Goncalo Amaral.

There is no evidence against arguido #1
There is no evidence against arguido #2
There is no evidence against arguido #3
Why would arguido #2 be considered to be in the clear on that basis and not #3 and #1 ~ or any combination ~ not also be considered to be in the clear given all three meet the same criteria?

Offline Robittybob1

• Executive Member
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
IMO neither of those two factors make me think a person should be cleared.  I have generally found a confirmed alibi is the best way of clearing a person. 
What are you doing to find Madeleine?
https://www.youcaring.com/madeleinemccann-1080869

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
IMO neither of those two factors make me think a person should be cleared.  I have generally found a confirmed alibi is the best way of clearing a person.

Murat had one. Home all evening.
Helping Elite sufferers of NPD for over 2 years...

Online Brietta

« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »

Agreed.
Evidence is the requirement for that and there was no evidence against any one of the three and all three had their argiudo status lifted.  Therefore how can one be considered 'cleared' and the other two not?

Offline Robittybob1

• Executive Member
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Murat had one. Home all evening.
When I looked into alibis having a family member giving you support would only result in a weak alibi.

"Weak (2)   None   Easily Fabricated   Computer file showing creation time
Store receipt for cash purchase

Motivated Other   None   "I was home with Mom"
"My best friend and I were playing video games""
https://public.psych.iastate.edu/glwells/alibiwebhtml.htm

What seems important is having a way to prove your claim of an alibi.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:37:41 AM by Robittybob1 »
What are you doing to find Madeleine?
https://www.youcaring.com/madeleinemccann-1080869

Offline barrier

« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
When I looked into alibis having a family member giving you support would only result in a weak alibi.

The onus would be on any prosecution to prove the alibi was false.
Those who find they're touched by madness
Sit down next to me.

Offline jassi

« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »

I guess having an alibi from  close friends would also be weak.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -   11 years and still no solution.