Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 1464146 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #3810 on: July 12, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
I babysat my 9 month old sister when only 10 myself, while my parents drove an hour away to enjoy themselves all afternoon, so who knows, eh?  But my point is that 4 year old children in Switzerland have to walk to school unaccompanied by adults to foster their spirit of independence, which IMO puts them at higher risk of wandering off, having an accident or being abducted than if the same kids were tucked up in bed asleep at home and left unattended for periods of up to 30 minutes.  No doubt you strenuously disagree!

Switzerland, Germany, Japan and the Netherlands all allow children to make their own way to and from school and playgrounds, just as we once did. The children learn to be responsible and self-reliance. I don't know of any benefit a  small child gains from being left home alone.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/free-range-kids-_swiss-resist-fear-based-childrearing-for-now/42384890

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3811 on: July 12, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »

Society! we live in a different era...
In 70's my mum said women were not allowed in pubs/bars!

Are you aware that children as young as 7 have expensive iphones!! are sexting and sending inappropriate pictures of themselves? The new sexualisation of the nation has moved on from the sleazy sun page three days!
Children are far more likely to be victims of grooming and online sleeze in the comfort of their own homes with mummy and daddy sat downstairs watching telly than they are walking to and from school, however that was not the comparison I was looking for.  I was asking G-Unit what has changed with regard to allowing children free range outdoors - has there been a marked increase in child rape and murder by opportunist strangers since the 60s?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3812 on: July 12, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
Switzerland, Germany, Japan and the Netherlands all allow children to make their own way to and from school and playgrounds, just as we once did. The children learn to be responsible and self-reliance. I don't know of any benefit a  small child gains from being left home alone.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/free-range-kids-_swiss-resist-fear-based-childrearing-for-now/42384890
Why should learning responsibility and self-reliance end at the child's doorstep then?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3813 on: July 12, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Children are far more likely to be victims of grooming and online sleeze in the comfort of their own homes with mummy and daddy sat downstairs watching telly than they are walking to and from school, however that was not the comparison I was looking for.  I was asking G-Unit what has changed with regard to allowing children free range outdoors - has there been a marked increase in child rape and murder by opportunist strangers since the 60s?

Yeah that is what has changed!! society! 

I was asking G-Unit what has changed with regard to allowing children free range outdoors - has there been a marked increase in child rape and murder by opportunist strangers since the 60s?

There is the two working parents and using cars for convenience  to get kids to school-reasons.

YES. read the news...  Robert Black to name one. Jamie Bulger killers, name two... many,many unsolved crimes of  child disappearances..
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3814 on: July 12, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »

Are you aware that children as young as 7 have expensive iphones!! are sexting and sending inappropriate pictures of themselves? The new sexualisation of the nation has moved on from the sleazy sun page three days!

Women's lives have changed dramatically. It's true about women being banned from the bar; they were allowed only in other areas of pubs and clubs. My first passport had my three children on it; they didn't need their own then. I was only allowed to put them on there with the written permission of the head of our household; my husband.Similarly I could only get credit with his written permission.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3815 on: July 12, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
Women's lives have changed dramatically. It's true about women being banned from the bar; they were allowed only in other areas of pubs and clubs. My first passport had my three children on it; they didn't need their own then. I was only allowed to put them on there with the written permission of the head of our household; my husband.Similarly I could only get credit with his written permission.

OMG.. wow. that wasn't all that long ago either? I'm not sure equality has brought about good for women in light of these changes though.
 I put  my career on hold  when I had my children- they love having me home when they get in from school and during the summer holidays.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3816 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »

I don't believe there has been a real increase, but there's been an increase in awareness, reporting and fear. The vast majority of children ate in mo more danger now than they were in the 1960's imo.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37504781
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3817 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »

Yeah that is what has changed!! society! 

I was asking G-Unit what has changed with regard to allowing children free range outdoors - has there been a marked increase in child rape and murder by opportunist strangers since the 60s?

There is the two working parents and using cars for convenience  to get kids to school-reasons.

YES. read the news...  Robert Black to name one. Jamie Bulger killers, name two... many,many unsolved crimes of  child disappearances..
Perhaps you could answer the question?  Has there been a marked increased risk to unaccompanied children from strangers intent on abducting them since the 1960s?  Statistical evidence will do. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3818 on: July 12, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
I don't believe there has been a real increase, but there's been an increase in awareness, reporting and fear. The vast majority of children ate in mo more danger now than they were in the 1960's imo.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37504781
Exactly.  Yet these days you would probably get a visit from social services if you let your kindergartan age child walk to school alone (unless you lived in Switzerland of course). 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3819 on: July 12, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
OMG.. wow. that wasn't all that long ago either? I'm not sure equality has brought about good for women in light of these changes though.
 I put  my career on hold  when I had my children- they love having me home when they get in from school and during the summer holidays.

It only changed following the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975. Women no longer needed a male guarantor for credit, and were given the right to resume work after having a child. 

I see modern women trying to juggle family, work and relationships and I feel for them. I faced challenges because we lived on one wage, but I had time. All the time I needed to know, teach, play with and understand my children.
Result = happy posting.

Offline sadie

« Reply #3820 on: July 12, 2018, 04:27:31 PM »

Rubbish!  Soz but your Mum got it wrong .... or you ... erm .. misrememberd!

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #3821 on: July 12, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
Rubbish!  Soz but your Mum got it wrong .... or you ... erm .. misrememberd!

Did you know, it was only in 1982 that pubs no longer has the right to refuse to serve women.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline John

« Reply #3822 on: July 12, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »

I remember a time when it was inappropriate for women to go into bars and pubs while unaccompanied but I don't think they were barred as such.  I suppose different areas had different rules. In some parts of the British Isles a girl had to be chaperoned on a date, same thing happened in many European countries.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:30:20 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3823 on: July 12, 2018, 05:55:48 PM »
I remember a time when it was inappropriate for women to go into bars and pubs while unaccompanied but I don't think they were barred as such.  I suppose different areas had different rules. In some parts of the British Isles a girl had to be chaperoned on a date, same thing happened in many European countries.

I remember when Yates Wine Lodges had bare floorboards scattered with sawdust. In Lancashire where I grew up women might go into a bar in a pub, but every man in there would stop talking and stare until they left and went into the saloon bar. If they didn't take the hint the landlord would 'suggest' it. On the other hand some saloon bars still had bells around the walls. You could ring them and get table service.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3824 on: July 12, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »
so women were allowed in pubs in the 70s