Wasn't some DNA of a previous child occupant found on some bedding in 5a?
That being the case it is ridiculous to claim that there wouldn't be fingerprints and hairs which had similarly been missed even during a thorough clean-up. And if it's true that SY are following the botched burglary lead with the three already named arguidos as prime suspects surely those 'unidentified partial fingerprints and hairs' would have ruled them either in or out. Or are we now talking a botched burglary carried out by a vast team of burglars ?
Answer to the bit I have put in bold. Yes. It started out as a potential semen stain on the cover of the bed by the window, then it got matched to a very young previous male occupant, and it was reclassified as saliva.
The idea that the cleaners, when one renter left and another moved in, did such a brill job that all trace of those who had been in 5A before were now gone, does not stack up. IMO.
One issue with the forensics in 5A is simply working out who was permitted to be inside 5A. The driver who took the McCanns from the OC reception to block 5? Did he help with the luggage? The repairmen, re shutter and washing machine. The cleaner, and the friend who helped her clean.
It's like a dog's dinner before you start.
I BELIEVE, as arguidos, the 3 were entitled not to give DNA, unless specifically ordered to do so by a judge. However, my understanding of the laws of Portugal is such that, unless I had 'done it', I would offer my DNA. Basically, Portugal does not allow DNA in one case to be used in a second case, until a guilty verdict has been handed down in the first case.
So I could burgle to my heart's content, leaving my DNA everywhere. And I could give my DNA in the Madeleine case. And as long as I am not found guilty in the Madeleine case, the fact that my DNA matches the burglaries cannot be used.
And again I believe, there is a 'right to forget' both about crimes committed and DNA. It is not like the UK where once your DNA goes into the system, it stays there for eternity.
I wish I was clearer on the laws of Portugal. The entry in the PJ Files with the hand written notes on crimes committed seems very odd to me.